PDA

View Full Version : Will a GeForce 6600 GT AGP work in an AGP 4X board?

TheTaz
11-17-04, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine just ordered a 6600GT for his nForce 1 (AGP 4x).

Now normally... an AGP 8x card will work in a 4x slot. But the manufacturer (XFX) states that an 8x compliant motherboard is "required". So I'm wondering if the "bridge" from PCI Express to AGP is gonna be a problem for this card in a 4x Motherboard?

Thanks,

Taz

ragejg
11-17-04, 03:29 PM
Good question... I'm pretty much positive it'll work, unless there's some AGP weirdness goin' on due to the presence of the bridge chip....

Kev1
11-17-04, 03:30 PM
I think it should, but I've been looking for definit answer at the manufacturer's links and haven't found any yet. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Everything I have read says there is not much difference between 4x and 8x agp.

msxyz
11-17-04, 04:10 PM
Some early Via 4x chipsets seem to have problems with AGP 8X cards, otherwise every AGP 8x card should be backward compatible with AGP 4x slots

TheTaz
11-17-04, 04:24 PM
Some early Via 4x chipsets seem to have problems with AGP 8X cards, otherwise every AGP 8x card should be backward compatible with AGP 4x slots

While I agree with that... and have come to the same conclusion as the others that have posted in this thread ("It SHOULD work")... the "PCI Express to AGP bridge" is new and unfamiliar territory.

Maybe NVNews can slap their demo 6600GT in an AGP 4x board and let us know if it works. ;)

Regards,

Taz

StoNer
11-17-04, 08:12 PM
yea 4x and 8x are compatible. It should say on the box btw 8x/4x even if in the product specs online it says 8x. When i looked up my card b4 i bought it, the specs said 8x. Then i went to bestbuy and the box said 8x/4x/2x

but now the boxes for my card say 8x/4x with no 2x. So although im unsure about 2x im pretty positive 4x is possible because my old board was 4x and this card ran fine on it.