PDA

View Full Version : Athlon64 3200+ on Asus AV8 doesn't boot

Treason
11-17-04, 08:14 PM
Bought a brand new socket 939 3200+ and an Asus A8V Deluxe version 2 yesterday and put it together with a drop of AS5.

For some reason when I went to the bios screen to memory configuration, my PC3200 didn't show it's Memory CLK, CAS latency, TRCD, TRAS, and TRP like it says in the manual. So I went to the Memclock Mode and changed it from AUTO to LIMIT. I forgot what menu item it was, (I think it was CAS Latency), but I changed something from DDR 200 (1:1) to DDR 400 (2:1).

Saved it and rebooted and now it won't boot at all. No power to USB devices or LAN. Hard drive light stays on, no speaker beeps. Hard drive runs and DVDRW flashes, keyboard numlock flashes, but no video output.

I think I broke both the motherboard and CPU because this is almost the exact same thing that happened when my P4 1.4 and IWill motherboard stopped working. (No speaker beeps, no video output, no power to USB devices, no LAN lights).

nVestor
11-17-04, 08:39 PM
Reset the CMOS and read the manual carefully. :)

Treason
11-17-04, 08:45 PM
Yup, took out the battery, reset the jumper to 2-3, then back to 1-2, put in the battery, turned the power back on, same result.

Took out the two sticks of ram, same result. Took off all IDE devices, same result.

I knew there was something wrong with this CPU because when I first booted to the AMiBios POST screen (checking memory, IDE devices etc), the words did not come up at once, but rather, slowly appear two or three words at a time. The screen would scroll "up" as sentences spat out.

Same with the bios menu, every word disappeared one at a time and reappeared everytime I moved the menu bar. The next screen did not appear until all the words were displayed.

Treason
11-17-04, 09:47 PM
Wow this is complete Bull_sh*t. I had to google around the internet to find out the problem. Turns out with this particular motherboard, you have to insert only ONE stick of 512 mb ram into the second dual channel slot after you've made a bios option error in order to make the computer POST again.

What sort of game is Asus playing when they release a socket 939 AMD motherboard and don't test it with AMD socket 939 Winchester's? What total bull_sh*t. I spent two hours worrying over nothing.

I might refund this Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 motherboard.