PDA

View Full Version : 200 GB seagate drive vibrating too much?

Moot
11-18-04, 01:29 PM
Does anyone out there have a 200 GB seagate drive? I have had 2 120 GB seagate drives for quite a while now, and they are the best thing since sliced bread. I got a 200 GB drive the other day and it seems to vibrate a lot. I have yet to bolt it down in the case, Right now I have the drive laying on the floor as I clone my data from my old drive to the new 200 GB one. The floor makes a humming noise with the drive resting on it, and you can feel the vibrations through the floor. Anyone else notice this? Vibrations would mean that something is unblanced and spinning would it not? I will bolt it in the case after work and see what happens although in the mean time if anyone out there has a 200 GB seagate drive and would like it give some feed back it would be much appreciated. Maybe itís just this one? Or maybe they are all like that I dunnoÖ

|JuiceZ|
11-18-04, 01:34 PM
Haven't owned that particular Seagate drive but from past experience, they've all been relatively quiet hdd's. Try mounting it in your case then listening what it sounds like.

Also, as long as its not any excessive vibrations, slight hum shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's really when you start hearing that "clicking" noise of the read head bounces off the disc is when you're really in trouble.

Fahim
11-18-04, 02:14 PM
I have Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 8MB IDE HDD. It is smooth as silk........neither vibration nor noise....

Moot
11-19-04, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It isn't so bad when bolted down the case. I have a really heavy computer case, and it's screwed in really tight. There is one of my old 120 GB drives right below it and while running you touch that one there is nothing. Then you touch the new 200 GB you get a vibrating sensation. lol. But it isn't shaking the case and is running relatively quite. So I think it's livable. The writing noise is quit enough but I find it more annoying then the old 120 GB. Maybe Iím not used to itÖ Guess it's livable

(spit)