PDA

View Full Version : Question about nVidia drivers...

BoltAction
11-18-04, 03:45 PM
Does nVidia put a FPS cap on their drivers so that it won't exceed 60 FPS? Because I downloaded the 67.02 drivers and now all my games won't go over 60 FPS. I just had the Omega 61.77 drivers and there wasn't a cap that I could tell. Such as C-S 1.6 would be at a constant 99 FPS now its a constant 60. In HL-2, I still get skipping in the same posts no matter what drivers or settings I use, so I t hink this FPS problem might be connected. I have an eVGA 6800 NU (16 x 6). Also I can't overclock my card. If I try to set it's core or memory speed to even one MHz higher it says that it is unstable. This has been so for a while, yet when I got it, it would allow me to overclock. Thanks for answers to either of my questions.

Note: My computers specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon 2500+ @ 2500+
eVGA 6800 NU
512 MB Kingston RAM
SoundStorm (NF7-S)

EDIT: I'm now using the 66.93 drivers and still have this problem.

MUYA
11-18-04, 07:04 PM
no there is no such cap. Why would NVIDIA want to? You should ask yourself why would they limit the performance of their hardware with their GPUs in it. Its totally absurd. Sounds to me you have some sort of refresh rate override problem. Search the forums for a fix.

BoltAction
11-21-04, 10:45 AM
Refresh rate override problem? I searched the forums but I don't see anything applying to this.

EDIT: Okay, I just tried Doom III and the frame rate counter in that also won't go above 60 FPS.

saturnotaku
11-21-04, 11:07 AM
EDIT: Okay, I just tried Doom III and the frame rate counter in that also won't go above 60 FPS.

That's because Doom 3 is capped at 60 fps. That can be adjusted in-game, but it's not recommended.

As MUYA said, check the refresh rate on your monitor and also make sure that vertical sync is disabled.

BoltAction
11-21-04, 11:12 AM
That's because Doom 3 is capped at 60 fps. That can be adjusted in-game, but it's not recommended.

As MUYA said, check the refresh rate on your monitor and also make sure that vertical sync is disabled.

My refresh rate is a 60 Hertz and vertical sync is set to Application-controlled. In the Refresh Rate Overrides section they are all set to Default.

EDIT: Okay I set vertical sync to Off and took off Application-controlled and now it's back to normal. Thanks a lot.

saturnotaku
11-21-04, 11:19 AM
My refresh rate is a 60 Hertz and vertical sync is set to Application-controlled. In the Refresh Rate Overrides section they are all set to Default.

Well that's your problem right there. Use either Refresh Force (Google it) or the built-in refresh rate override in the NVIDIA control panel to set the maximum refresh rates your monitor supports for each resolution. And you can disable vsync to remove the frame rate limitations, at the cost of visual tearing.

BoltAction
11-21-04, 11:21 AM
Well that's your problem right there. Use either Refresh Force (Google it) or the built-in refresh rate override in the NVIDIA control panel to set the maximum refresh rates your monitor supports for each resolution. And you can disable vsync to remove the frame rate limitations, at the cost of visual tearing.

Why should I have to set my Refresh Rate to the max when the Omega drivers worked with everything set to default?

EDIT: Because I run things at 1280x1024 my monitor can only support up to 60 Hertz.