PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade cash + my GT for an EVGA Ultra?

evilchris
11-18-04, 06:00 PM
I have a BFG 6800GT OC. My friend, who isn't even a gamer, said he'd trade me his eVGA Ultra for my GT + 80$. What do ya think?

Drax
11-18-04, 06:13 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad deal (I have an eVGA 6800U myself). Do you have the CPU to push the new card? If you have a nice speedy CPU then it's more worth your money then if not. Also if it doesn't already have the eVGA copper heat sink I highly recommend getting one off their web sight.

mustrum
11-18-04, 06:17 PM
I just made the upgrade from a GT to a real ULTRA. 450/1200 was worth it. :D
I didn't buy it new tho and knew that it can do those clocks.

80 bucks... if you OC your CPU quite a bit you will feel a difference.
One important thing to me was that tons of GT's tend to die right now.
Almost any GT will do ULTRA 400/1100 speeds but not all of them do that for more than 2-3 months.

evilchris
11-18-04, 06:24 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad deal (I have an eVGA 6800U myself). Do you have the CPU to push the new card? If you have a nice speedy CPU then it's more worth your money then if not. Also if it doesn't already have the eVGA copper heat sink I highly recommend getting one off their web sight.
If I run stock clocks do I need the copper sink? System in sig.

superklye
11-18-04, 06:46 PM
I just made the upgrade from a GT to a real ULTRA. 450/1200 was worth it. :D
I didn't buy it new tho and knew that it can do those clocks.

80 bucks... if you OC your CPU quite a bit you will feel a difference.
One important thing to me was that tons of GT's tend to die right now.
Almost any GT will do ULTRA 400/1100 speeds but not all of them do that for more than 2-3 months.
are you serious? :( I've had mine running at 410/1.1 for like 2 months now and have had no problems yet. You've got me all worried!

Rytr
11-18-04, 07:19 PM
are you serious? :( I've had mine running at 410/1.1 for like 2 months now and have had no problems yet. You've got me all worried!

If you are hooked on overclocking it's not best to be a person who worries. :D

StoNer
11-18-04, 07:54 PM
Id do it mainly because a friend of mine payed 540 or something with the stupid state tax for his 6800 ultra from comp usa. When we went there they were out of GTs and had Ultras only, funny thing is that there was a 98% full shelf of X800 models sitting next to the nV shelf.

Drumphil
11-18-04, 07:58 PM
get it before he wakes up to himself and changes his mind!!

StoNer
11-18-04, 08:06 PM
thats a good deal seriously.. for you rofl

If he looks like hes gonna back down on it id even throw in a game with my GT to get him to trade :P

Definetly looks like hes tryin to hookup a homie. But if he hardly plays games why did he get such a sick card? he could have picked up a 6600GT or even a 9800pro and been happy. Owell id say take full advantage of this situation.

superklye
11-18-04, 08:43 PM
If you are hooked on overclocking it's not best to be a person who worries. :D
Anyone know how long the warranty for eVGA is? If it's a year, then I'm not worried at all.

bkswaney
11-18-04, 09:22 PM
I would not trade my GT clocked at 400+/1100+
for the few FPS higher you get with a EE.
I'll take my BFG and it's lifetime warrt. ;)

StoNer
11-18-04, 10:06 PM
buy it from him, then return it to the store for a refund >.< then buy a BFG ultra for the warranty :retard:

Rytr
11-18-04, 10:41 PM
Anyone know how long the warranty for eVGA is? If it's a year, then I'm not worried at all.

Looks like you don't need to worry then. :)

superklye
11-18-04, 10:43 PM
Looks like you don't need to worry then. :)
it's a year? sweet...does it cover OCing though?

anzak
11-18-04, 10:49 PM
it's a year? sweet...does it cover OCing though?

:lol2:

NO!!!!!111!!!11!ONE!!1!

Overclocking is never covered because you are running the hardware beyond what it is rated at.

Rytr
11-18-04, 10:49 PM
Oh! Did you say you were overclocking? Now you know you are not suppose to do that. :POKE:

superklye
11-18-04, 11:34 PM
sigh

i guess I'll put it back to stock now. :( I can't afford to lose this card now.

superklye
11-18-04, 11:41 PM
Oh! Did you say you were overclocking? Now you know you are not suppose to do that. :POKE:
dude, you knew I was OCing. You quoted me saying "I run it at 410/1.1"

Rytr
11-18-04, 11:56 PM
Just kidding with you, of course I knew you were overclocking. :D

Most who have a GT will at least overclock it to see what it will do. If you play the games (and not watch the FPS) you will not see any difference other than you might have to back off on the AA & AF once using the default settings. I can play at 4xAA/8xAF, so far, with no problems at a resolution of 1280x1024. Unless I go to a 22-inch monitor that resolution is good enough for me on a 19-inch. Even then, at 1600x1200, I would not have a need for that much AA so the performance (in FPS) should not suffer that much in most games. If performance goes down at that time with default timings I know I have enough overhead (up to 410/1.1) to boost the performance back up.

'Don't worry, be happy' you have a killer card. ;)

superklye
11-19-04, 01:04 AM
Just kidding with you, of course I knew you were overclocking. :D

Most who have a GT will at least overclock it to see what it will do. If you play the games (and not watch the FPS) you will not see any difference other than you might have to back off on the AA & AF once using the default settings. I can play at 4xAA/8xAF, so far, with no problems at a resolution of 1280x1024. Unless I go to a 22-inch monitor that resolution is good enough for me on a 19-inch. Even then, at 1600x1200, I would not have a need for that much AA so the performance (in FPS) should not suffer that much in most games. If performance goes down at that time with default timings I know I have enough overhead (up to 410/1.1) to boost the performance back up.

'Don't worry, be happy' you have a killer card. ;)
I know, but I love the feeling of paying only $400 for a card faster than an Ultra, but after hearing about them burning out so fast and not being covered...I'm a (very) poor college student. I can't afford a new GT if this one craps and I damn well can't go back to my 4400. I'd rather play it safe for now. :(

Lfctony
11-19-04, 01:54 AM
Looks like a decent trade. I like having my Ultra at stock speeds, since its given me so much trouble in the past. The difference from overclocking it was hardly measurable at 430/1170, so I don't see a reason to endanger the card.

mustrum
11-19-04, 02:55 AM
Some just feel the need to OC. I bought this ULTRA to run at ULTRA clocks in safety. Now i'm playing games at 450/1200. It's a voice in my head telling me to do so. :lol2:

Just so you know: I ran a barton 1.81ghz@ 2.4+ ghz for over a year.
I ran a 9700 NP @ 9800 PRO for almost 2 years. The hardware i owned before them also were OCed.
I've never lost a component due to OCing. Just find the max and go a bit off from that and you should be fine.
The 6800's seem to die a lot lately but maybe they would've died on stock clocks as well.

StoNer
11-19-04, 04:37 AM
I know, but I love the feeling of paying only $400 for a card faster than an Ultra, but after hearing about them burning out so fast and not being covered...I'm a (very) poor college student. I can't afford a new GT if this one craps and I damn well can't go back to my 4400. I'd rather play it safe for now. :(

unless you have the faster ns RAM like an Ultra A GT cant ever be as fast. I wouldnt reccomend maxing out the card 24/7. Just try running it at like 400/1000 if ur gonna OC it all the time.

superklye
11-19-04, 08:38 AM
unless you have the faster ns RAM like an Ultra A GT cant ever be as fast. I wouldnt reccomend maxing out the card 24/7. Just try running it at like 400/1000 if ur gonna OC it all the time.
What are you talking about?

410MHz/1.1GHz is just that.