PDA

View Full Version : artifacts (white dots) in half life 2

Pages : [1] 2

kenju4u
11-19-04, 09:05 AM
hey guys,

I am getting these annoying white dots scattered around my screen in HL2 with my leadtek geforce 6800 NU. I have tired both driver version 66.81, 67.02 without any results.

I have also tried turning AA and AF completely off, also tired setting over clocking back down to the default 325/700 and nothing it seems works.

does anyone else have this problem? how i fix it? please help!!

Other then this the graphics and fps (>100) is awsome!!!

-ken

Peacemaker
11-19-04, 12:45 PM
Can You give us some spec details ? Including agp aperture size.
Greetings

Peacemaker

spill
11-19-04, 01:20 PM
Can You give us some spec details ? Including agp aperture size.
Greetings

Peacemaker

I see the same thing at certain points in the game... tends to be dark textures on walls and stationary objects.

I'm using a BFG6800GT on an Abit 875 board.

I've tried three sets of drivers (The ones previous to .93's, the WHQL 66.93's, and the beta 67.02's.

Aperature has been tested at 128 and 256 on my board. I have zero problems with the game otherwise, and actually this only seems to happen in specific spots... even after restarting the game, it'll happen in a spot, and once you move out of that area the graphics are fine. Move back, it's there again, etc.

I've also tried disabling AF and AA within the game, but the problem still exists. This happens on no other games I've tried (even popped Doom3 back in to see if it happened on dark areas in it, but it didn't).

I'm attempting to upload a couple of example shots in all their 1600x1200 glory...

Riptide
11-19-04, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with what you're seeing... But take a look @ this thread. Different game and hardware but with almost the exact same issue. And others spoke up saying they see the same problems from time to time. Makes me wonder what the hell is going on... /scratches head

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39597

Peacemaker
11-19-04, 03:05 PM
If it is not beacouse You overclocked Your graphics card (i think BFG is a little OC by default, but i don't know this card - its unavaible in Poland :( )
maybe it is Your drivers settings. I just phone to one of my friends, becouse i saw on his comp this white dots. He has got Radeon 9800 Pro (Sapphire R350)running on nForce platform. In the same time i was using also R9800Pro (Sapphire R360), looks like the same, but i don't notice any white dots on my Intel platform. Now i got Leadtek A400GT, but nevermind. So, he told me, that he has got this problem always, when push settings to high or highest quality level. If he leave it on default, everything looks ok. There is one more thing. He is using LCD, i'm working on CRT, but i don't think it is not it.
Hope You relesed Your problem and will be another happy user of 6800 series.

Greetings

Peacemaker

kenju4u
11-19-04, 03:14 PM
I am getting the exact problem as SPILL above!

I have a 2.4 gig P4
1 gig of mem
audigy sound card
128 meg 325/700mhz Leadtek geforce 6800 NU videocard

have the following settings in Rivatuner:
I have AA set to application controlled
AF set to 8X
2D 325/780
3D 375/780
AGP mem set to 256 in bios

Tried turing AA and AF off, going back to default clock speeds, Vsync on and off, blittling on and off. Still get the white dots with all these differnt combo's

kenju4u
11-19-04, 03:17 PM
somoene suggested to under clock and see if it works....i might try that tonight. we'll see.

spill
11-19-04, 04:05 PM
I'm not overclocking (outside of the small bump provided by BFG in the default settings).

Since you're using a different card, I'm suspecting that the small overclock on the BFG isn't what's causing it.

I'll try to bump the clock down to whatever the default 6800GT's settings should be, but again, this hasn't happened in any other games.... and I would almost certainly expect it to happen in Doom 3 is it was a work induced heat issue.

Plus, during my testing, it happened before the card even had a chance to heat up (loaded the areas showing the artifacts immediately after the machine was booted and the game was started from a cold boot after being off for 4 hours).

Riptide
11-19-04, 04:14 PM
Guys check out the link I have in my earlier post in this thread. There are screenshots and I guarantee, especially in that second shot, you will see some similarities.

I doubt you have anything wrong with your card, at least physically.

Lfctony
11-19-04, 04:23 PM
I had the same thing with my 9800 Pro at a specific point. Same white dots in FarCry, I also saved outside the room to test whether it was the heat. The white dots were caused from a slight overclock, and happened at the specific place irregardless of heat. It seemed as if the card couldn't process properly that kind of load at the specific frequency. Went away immediately when I dropped to defaults.

Those look like a hardware problem, it's not drivers.

ynnek
11-19-04, 05:56 PM
yea, I'm not seeing any of those white dots.. BFG 6800GT 1152 and 4x aa, 8x anis.. defaults on 66.93 drivers..

Riptide
11-19-04, 06:03 PM
I'm curious to see what happens here. kenju4u let us know what happens if you exchange that card please. I'm not completely sold that it's a hardware problem.

spill
11-19-04, 07:14 PM
Underclocking the card is no good. Still showing artifacts at 350/1000 speeds.

kenju4u
11-19-04, 07:35 PM
i turned the computer on when i got home today and steam did a update of some sort. Now i am getting more then just dots...now i am seeing all these werid chunks missing from the game and streaks of lines flying around....this is getting really annoying. Doom 3 worked fine and its more hardware intensive then HL2....UGH!

StoNer
11-19-04, 07:47 PM
Looks like some crackhead spilled his rocks all over that bathroom.

I think thats the problem.. U might have a crackhead running loose inside of ur computer! :retard:

Seriously tho id try a different video card if possible on HL2 to double check if its just ur 6800, then if it ends up bieng the 6800 id arrange for a RMA asap.

kenju4u
11-19-04, 09:02 PM
Ok i uninstalled the 67.02 drivers and cleaned up the registery and installed 66.93. Thinks seem to be good now. No more streaks flying around and stuff...only the dots. SO back to where i started yesterday...now how the hell to get rid of these stupids dots....

Sovereignxp
11-19-04, 09:18 PM
Hmm... you might have bad memory on your card.
RMA it.

spill
11-19-04, 09:40 PM
I would think the same thing if it happened on any other games.... but it's only HL2. I agree that Doom being the more graphically intensive game should exhibit the same problems, but it doesn't....

kenju4u
11-19-04, 09:42 PM
na man! the card works prefectly fine in all other guys but HL2. Its not the card. Its either some driver setting or the game itself.

oldopel
11-20-04, 04:49 AM
It's something wrong with your hardware. I've been unlocking pipes on a few 6800le and the problem with dots are sometimes present in the prelocked pipelines. I think you shold return your videocard.

ihiktacos
11-20-04, 11:33 AM
You know, I have the exact same problem. This actually surfaced before HL2 was out, in CS:Source. It happens in the Dust levels mostly. Thing is, I asked multiple people playing CS:S and everyone of them who had a 6800 had this problem.

I tried multiple drivers 66.x-70.x and even returned my card and exchanged it. None of this helped so I really thought it was an issue with the game/driver compatibility. If some of you say that they don't have this I would be very surprised and perhaps it would be time to RMA this card.

If some of you who think/say that they do not have this problem and do own CS:S, please fire it up for me and go into the darker area in Dust for instance and try and see if you can spot the little white dots.. if not, I might take BFG up on their lifetime warranty.

kenju4u
11-20-04, 12:15 PM
Guys,

I have my pipes unlocked but if there was something wrong with the acutal hardware this problem would occur everytime in any game.

MY problem only exists in HL2 and in dark area's like ihiktacos mention. There are certain times in the game when i think its fixed cause i dont see any white dots at all and then as soon as i enter a dark area i see them again. This probably doesnt exist in Doom 3 and i have been playing that games for many hours since weeks now.

This is definately not a hardware problem but still i will turn off the pipes and see if that fixes it.

fO Che -USA-
11-20-04, 03:16 PM
hello every one, long time lurker first time poster

I have a modded vivo and I have similar white dots in HL2 CS/S and farcry but all other games I play have nothing.

I can underclock and it doesnt change anything, I know you have a 6800 just thought i would share.

my theory is these companies are trying so hard to one up each other there drives are becoming swiss cheese, although I could be wrong.

Ill post pics if you would like there not quite like yours mine more in the edges of things and seem to be more in geometric patterns then those

shotshttp://members.cox.net/gtabor1/untitled.JPG
http://members.cox.net/gtabor1/hl2.JPG

kenju4u
11-20-04, 10:27 PM
I have been trying many different drivers. I tired 66.77, 66.81, 66.93, 67.02, 67.20. They all give me those white dots, some more then others. Some gave me werid chunks of missing images too...but the best drivers for me were 66.93.

When i got problems in my games other then white dots i unistalled and installed the drivers again and it fixed it. I still have the werid white dots but they are not as many as before and sometimes they are not there at all. I am starting to learn to ignore them for now. I guess HL 2 is just gonna be one of those games that didnt work well on my video card cause all the other games work fine.

oldopel
11-21-04, 01:33 AM
Have you tried do disable different combination of pipelines?
Can you reproduce the white dots in 3Dmark01 (lobby) and 3Dmark03 (nature)?