PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte 6800GT passive cooling (fan on top) - worth a try?

analogmaster
11-19-04, 02:33 PM
hay doodz and peepz,

i am looking forward to change from my galaxy zeus GT to a gigabyte with this heatpipe solution and the fan on top....

has any1 any experiences with this card?

-temp? idle and load
-oc (and the temps thereafter)
-biosmod and temps?
-loudness?

i am keen on buying this card as it looks exceptional great but i wanna know a bit more about it... i did not find any review on it so i ask you in here :)

i somehow like heatpipe technology (i was once a fan of the zalman thingys on my old 9800pro) and i wanted to give this one a try now...

i hope some1 can answer a few of my questions

thx in advance :)

Faster
11-19-04, 02:55 PM
same card as you have? you could just invest in water cooling or a better cooling solution then what you have on the 6800GT you have. Since you want heat pipe cooling.

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1919.htm

$35 @ www.newegg.com. I had one of these on my 9800XT worked VERY well. Was loud with the Turbo Fan on. But you just leave that turned off. Front and Back Heat sinks allow it to really take the heat away from the Core.

I have a Siliencer on my 6800GT now and I have a feeling the heat being transfered from the core to the Heat sink and then back into the Memory chips is affecting the Memory OC. A guy in another thread cut the Memory tabs off his Silencer and got Heat sinks for the Mem and noticed a Improvement.

So the Giant III might be the way to go with 6800GTs as the Memory chips have seperate small heat sinks and do not get in contact with the Core heat sink.

And it has heat pipes like you want :)

analogmaster
11-19-04, 03:31 PM
thx 4 the reply...

but unfortunately it did not answer any of my questions :nanahump:

i do not want to place this giant*whatever* on my card nor do i want to know if removing the thermalpads might increase my mem...

i just wanted to know what kidna experiences ppl have with the new gigabyte revision that has the stock-heatpipe technology on board...

Faster
11-19-04, 04:19 PM
kk, was only my opinion on the "Worth a Try" part of your thread title. :)

and more in relation to you question then, I havent noticed many people with a gigabyte card. But then again I bet there is someone here with it.

StoNer
11-19-04, 08:10 PM
he seemed astounded that you want to buy a brand new 400 dollar card just for a different cooling solution when in fact other than the cooling solution its the same card.

im pretty amazed myself o.O

jolle
11-25-04, 09:29 AM
got one of those Gigabyte cards on the way, feels like a gamble with no reviews and hardly no user input about it either..
I guess ill just have to hope for the best..

Anyone got anything to say about the GigaByte card (still refence layout?) and the new cooler?

mike2h
11-25-04, 10:11 AM
got one! love it!! runs ar 400/110 no prob. average temp is around 53c w/ sustained load 62-65c. fan is quieter than leadtek vers. wich was reasonably quite.
mine will oc higher - 420/1160- but do need the performance.
it is a single slot solution BUT does take up more room above the card. now this is not a problem unless you have a large after market chipset cooler. (does not effect lg cpu coolers). i had to remove the fan from my swiftech chipset cooler. got one of those nifty zalman pci slot fan mounts & put that little fan & an evercool 80mm on it so no problem:).
anyway, really like the card have had absolutley no problems so far. not sure why there are no english reviews of this card. several asian & eastern euro reviews.
i have yet to do an extended gaming session(more than an hour), but have 'stressed' it with consecutive 3dmark, artifact finder, doom3 timedemo for a couple of hours twice. no problems.
if you re looking for a quite gt that has oc potential this is it. :dance:

jAkUp
11-25-04, 11:17 AM
I was playing around with one of these yesterday because we just got one in at work, the cooling design is very pretty, the card is very heavy. But I can't imagine how efficient it would be for cooling, since the fan is located on the other side (opposite of the core) I figured it would always be best to have a fan located right on the core/memory. The box also looks cool with the doom3 guy ;)

I wonder how efficient it would be if you managed to stick a fan on the core side as well :)

jolle
11-25-04, 12:40 PM
might be a good idea with fan on top, as you prolly get somewhat cooler air there..
dunno but the area under the video card seems like a bit of a heatpocket to me..

subbo
11-25-04, 04:34 PM
(w/opics)

NoWayDude
11-25-04, 04:46 PM
http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/FileList/ProductImage/photo_n68128dh_big.jpg

Is this the one Jakup/analogmaster?
Looks prety cool that heathsink

And a review in English
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=696&Itemid=0

(actualy this is the review for the plain 6800, but will give you an idea aniwhay)

Subtestube
11-25-04, 10:54 PM
NoWayDude - That's the one that I have (which is great, by the way - no fan, no noise!). The GT actually does have a fan...

rohit
11-26-04, 12:03 AM
OMG, y wuld u want that? the passive heatpipe comes ony with regular 6800
Teh GT comes with fan

mike2h
11-26-04, 12:40 AM
might be a good idea with fan on top, as you prolly get somewhat cooler air there..
dunno but the area under the video card seems like a bit of a heatpocket to me..

normally that would be true but the whole point of a heatpipe is to pull the heat away to another spot & have the heat dissipated there. hence the fan on top.
just to cover all bases i do have one of those funky pci coolers mounted right underneath it :D

jolle
11-26-04, 08:02 AM
ya, but the fan is on the back (which is facing up), the heat pipe directs the heat to the back (topside), where the fan blows somewhat fresher air onto the cooler, as there is usually (or it would seem to me to be) better airflow above the card then under it..

As opposed to the fan using the less moved around air in the "pocket" underneath the card, where the fan usually is..

Dunno if there is any real difference tho, but to me the area under the AGP card seems like a bit of a hot air pocket, as there is usually no fan blowing out under there..
Unless ofcource you have one of those PCI slot coolers you mentioned that is, where you have some movement of air down there..

As long as it doesnt perform worse then the reference cooler Im good tho.

jason06
11-27-04, 10:09 AM
hi all,

i too have one of these cards, no probs in 1st month.

modded to 1.4v
400/1100
temps 56 idle/69 load
came with doom3, v-tuner/3 speed small fan

nice to find a post on it!

mike2h
11-27-04, 12:52 PM
why volt mod it? mine reaches those specs easily without mod. you are just puuting unecessary strain on the electronics.

jolle
11-28-04, 03:46 AM
btw they got some nice pics on GBs site..
http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N68T256DH.htm

StoNer
11-28-04, 04:09 AM
i lost like 15c alone just flipping my clear poly case window upside down so the fan was aimed right at the side of my GT. The air goes in thru a screen i put on to keep doghair off of my card, and to keep my sisters baby from sticking his hands into my fan since its got some ninja star lookin grill on it instead of a normal one.

rohit
11-29-04, 11:28 AM
Clearer Pic Guyz....attached
The Card surely loox Great. The cooler is cool.