PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra is making me pull out my hair..

SevnDusty
11-19-04, 05:27 PM
I dont know what to do guys.
I have a PNY 6800 Ultra and it just wont run right.
The only drivers that seem to work for me are the 61.77.
If I update to any new drivers from version 66.xx or above my pc crashes when I exit games. When I play Americas Army and I leave a game my system hits a blue screen and i have to reboot.. When I play Half Life 2 and I leave game it asks if I want to save game I select either option and my pc tries to do nothing .. it immediatly hits blue screen.. The new drivers make HL2 look alot better then the older drivers.. I have modded my original bios to have the clocks sync'd for 2d and 3d and i have messed with fast writes too.. Why is this card such a POS.. Its obvious that its drivers when the old ones work great and the new ones dont work without crashing my pc. If I try to flash my card with another vender bios i get device id mismatch.. help please..

crainger
11-19-04, 05:35 PM
What are your system specs??

If you have an AMD 64, try turning off DEP. Also try updating your motherboard drivers...

AthlonXP1800
11-19-04, 05:36 PM
Well it seem that it is you messed your card up, the best and safe way is to flash back to the original BIOS when the card shipped, that will work fine, it very bad idea to flash other BIOS that will not match your card BIOS, it could damage your card. If the original unmodified BIOS wont help and your card is damaged, I suggest you to RMA the card to get the replacement and learn a lesson never to flash the BIOS from another card or modded.

Hope that help. :)

SevnDusty
11-19-04, 05:40 PM
Well it seem that it is you messed your card up, the best and safe way is to flash back to the original BIOS when the card shipped, that will work fine, it very bad idea to flash other BIOS that will not match your card BIOS, it could damage your card. If the original unmodified BIOS wont help and your card is damaged, I suggest you to RMA the card to get the replacement and learn a lesson never to flash the BIOS from another card or modded.

Hope that help. :)

It does this with old bios and modded bios.. The card runs no different with different bios's.. DEP is already disabled and that didnt work either..

Ive flashed cards 100 times.. Ive never messed one up

AthlonXP1800
11-19-04, 05:52 PM
Ive flashed cards 100 times.. Ive never messed one up

Oh dear, flashing very often will damage the card the same way if flashing motherboard BIOS too much, I did once 7 years before flashing motherboard BIOS 15 times after experienced huge problems and the next thing when PC reboot and the motherboard was dead. I read hardware guides and it advised to flashing a maximum of 3 times to get it work right. Look like it now time to RMA your card. :p

SevnDusty
11-19-04, 07:30 PM
Oh dear, flashing very often will damage the card the same way if flashing motherboard BIOS too much, I did once 7 years before flashing motherboard BIOS 15 times after experienced huge problems and the next thing when PC reboot and the motherboard was dead. I read hardware guides and it advised to flashing a maximum of 3 times to get it work right. Look like it now time to RMA your card. :p

OMG Ive flashed it once.... and where did you get this about flashing 3 times.. lol.. Ive got hardware from years ago and its been flashed many many more times then 3 and it runs flawlessly.. cmon man.. its obvously drivers.. can anyone else give me any ideas as to what this could be since it only works with one set of drivers and not the new ones..

StoNer
11-19-04, 07:52 PM
Its not obviously drivers because the drivers obviously work for all of the other 6800 Ultra owners on the board.

Test the card in someone elses system. Test another card in your system. Those are the first things i do before i even post about a problem like that on a board.

SevnDusty
11-19-04, 09:07 PM
Its not obviously drivers because the drivers obviously work for all of the other 6800 Ultra owners on the board.

Test the card in someone elses system. Test another card in your system. Those are the first things i do before i even post about a problem like that on a board.

Ive tested a Geforce3 and a R9800 Pro in my system and they work great.. No problems at all.. With the 6800U in my system and the 61.77 drivers I get no crashes but games dont look as good.. As soon as I update my drivers I start getting crashes.. Its not drivers? Many people are having problems with BSOD's and the 6800 Ultra..Shall I find some other threads to show you or can i just get a few ideas from some others who know whats going on? Did anything get incorperated into the newer versions of drivers that wasnt in the old? FutureMark may be a better forum for this question...

MUYA
11-19-04, 10:14 PM
test the card on a friend's PC and see...

SevnDusty
11-19-04, 10:21 PM
test the card on a friend's PC and see...

Ok ill shuv it into my other computer..

Kev1
11-19-04, 11:06 PM
I was thinking maybe power supply? But if 61.77 drivers work ok thats probably not the problem.

Do you use Driver Cleaner when removing drivers? Its good idea to do so if you don't. Can download at guru3d.com.

Eltigre88
11-20-04, 05:58 AM
Make sure you have 2 seperate 4 pins hooked up to it!

mustrum
11-20-04, 06:39 AM
I've flashed one of my x800 PRO VIVOs for at least 20 times. No problem at all.

Digital_Maximus
11-20-04, 02:22 PM
Okay, guys just to clear everything up for you.

I'm having the same problem with my PNY Ge-Force 6800 Ultra.
I flashed it to a BFG 6800U-OC bios ver. 02 with no problems.
My computer crashes after I exit most games using Nvidia driver set v66.93
If I use Nvidia Driver v61.77 with my flashed card it never has any problems. So I flashed it back to PNY's bios version 5.40.02.15.07 But, now I'm still getting reboots after exiting games using driver version: 66.93.
I went back to Nvidia driver version: 61.77 and my PNY Ge-Force 6800U bios
and my system runs stable with out crashes or reboots. One other thing, My power supply is a TTGI (550W) which I purchased brand new... So I ruled out that this is going to be a power supply issue. I see that the most stable setting to run would be to use Nvidia driver version 61.77 with any flashed card since these drivers for some reason hold the key to a stable system over all. Now, I'm hoping that the next set of Nvidia drivers for my chipset will resolve the problem.....Any suggestions from this point on???

SevnDusty
11-20-04, 04:08 PM
Yeah.... finally... glad to see im not alone... I have a Tagan 480w PSU and the card is fed thru 2 seperate connectors..

SevnDusty
11-20-04, 04:09 PM
Make sure you have 2 seperate 4 pins hooked up to it!

What bios are you using man? If yours is working right then please help me out and send me your bios..

Digital_Maximus
11-20-04, 04:18 PM
What bios are you using man? If yours is working right then please help me out and send me your bios..

I'm using the most recent bios release from PNY
you can get them and many more here> http://www.mvktech.net/
Note: Make sure you download the most resent version "example ver .02
is the newest! :lol2: You will find everything you need in the download section good luck bro! =)

Digital_Maximus- Feed A Hungry Mind! (spit)

SevnDusty
11-21-04, 12:46 AM
I'm using the most recent bios release from PNY
you can get them and many more here> http://www.mvktech.net/
Note: Make sure you download the most resent version "example ver .02
is the newest! :lol2: You will find everything you need in the download section good luck bro! =)

Digital_Maximus- Feed A Hungry Mind! (spit)

Thats the bios thats on my card.. I just have the clocks sync'd.
I dont know what Im going to do.

Severian126
11-21-04, 02:30 AM
I am having somewhat as the same problems as you guys, though I have yet to try anything technical to solve the issue. I have a PNY Geforce 6800 Ultra also that is giving me problems. I have tried every driver so far and yet I still get game lockups, my PC restarting, etc. I have reformatted Windows twice. I'm thinking it is a PSU issue, but I want to hear a response from you guys first before I go out and buy a really expensive one. Here is my PC spec:

Windows XP
P4 3 GHz w/ HT
1.5 Gigs RAM
"stock" Gateway 700XL PSU
Geforce 6800 Ultra w/ Forceware 66.93 WHQL (or whatever is the ver. on Nvidia's official website)

So far, some games run fine, and some just, well freezes. Warcraft 3, Morrowind, and other such games run pretty fine on my PC, with very little chances of locking up or freezing while in the game. Halo, Half Life 2, Doom 3, however, constantly locks up, or won't even start at all. On some occasions, the game would get some weird artifacts, screen will turn brown, sound will start distorting and screeching, and my PC resets. Sometimes the game runs fine on CS Source, but whenever a new map loads, well, I have a 50% chance of freezing again. Needless to say it's really pissing me off, and this has started ever since I bought the card. I once upgraded to a 500 W power supply by some unknown company, but that did not do much to help the matter.....but then again, the PSU fried on me within a week, so it may be faulty. Also, my PC has gotten into the habit of making a 'clickin' sound then freezing completely even in Windows, forcing me to reboot my PC constantly. This has just started - after 2 reformats of my HD.

As I have said before, this could be a PSU problem, so before I invest money into an expensive name brand one (600 W should do the trick), I want to know what your guys take on this is. I haven't flashed any bios or do anything drastic besides installing new drivers property (ie: Driver cleaner, uninstall old drivers, etc.). I plan to run out and buy a new PSU tomorrow if you guys give me the green light, as I really want to finish Doom 3 and start on HL2 - error and lock-up free!

At least older, less graphically intense games run fine, I guess. :)

Digital_Maximus
11-21-04, 03:54 AM
I am having somewhat as the same problems as you guys, though I have yet to try anything technical to solve the issue. I have a PNY Geforce 6800 Ultra also that is giving me problems. I have tried every driver so far and yet I still get game lockups, my PC restarting, etc. I have reformatted Windows twice. I'm thinking it is a PSU issue, but I want to hear a response from you guys first before I go out and buy a really expensive one. Here is my PC spec:

Windows XP
P4 3 GHz w/ HT
1.5 Gigs RAM
"stock" Gateway 700XL PSU
Geforce 6800 Ultra w/ Forceware 66.93 WHQL (or whatever is the ver. on Nvidia's official website)

So far, some games run fine, and some just, well freezes. Warcraft 3, Morrowind, and other such games run pretty fine on my PC, with very little chances of locking up or freezing while in the game. Halo, Half Life 2, Doom 3, however, constantly locks up, or won't even start at all. On some occasions, the game would get some weird artifacts, screen will turn brown, sound will start distorting and screeching, and my PC resets. Sometimes the game runs fine on CS Source, but whenever a new map loads, well, I have a 50% chance of freezing again. Needless to say it's really pissing me off, and this has started ever since I bought the card. I once upgraded to a 500 W power supply by some unknown company, but that did not do much to help the matter.....but then again, the PSU fried on me within a week, so it may be faulty. Also, my PC has gotten into the habit of making a 'clickin' sound then freezing completely even in Windows, forcing me to reboot my PC constantly. This has just started - after 2 reformats of my HD.

As I have said before, this could be a PSU problem, so before I invest money into an expensive name brand one (600 W should do the trick), I want to know what your guys take on this is. I haven't flashed any bios or do anything drastic besides installing new drivers property (ie: Driver cleaner, uninstall old drivers, etc.). I plan to run out and buy a new PSU tomorrow if you guys give me the green light, as I really want to finish Doom 3 and start on HL2 - error and lock-up free!

At least older, less graphically intense games run fine, I guess. :)

Sorry to hear your luck to bro! :drooling:

My power supply is a TTGI (550W) No problems untill i use another driver set
other then v61.77 let me know if the new power supply fixed your problems
with your 6800 Ultra.

JRd1st
11-21-04, 06:17 AM
Try the Gainward Ultra Golden sample bios from http://www.mvktech.net

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=465

That's the latest for aircooled cards from Gainward.

Also, you could try setting you 2d and 3d voltage to the same value ; 1.4v
since you guys seem to be having the problem when transitioning to 2D.

Use NiBiTor 1.8 http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=502

SevnDusty
11-21-04, 08:19 AM

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=465

Use NiBiTor 1.8 http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=26&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=502

Changing the clocks doesnt seem to help at all.. Ill try that bios but I normally get some kinda mismatch error when i try another vender bios..

SevnDusty
11-21-04, 09:18 AM

GUYS,, Woohoo.. this seeems to have worked.. Im using the 67.20 and i just left a HL2 game and it worked great!!!! Thanks alot man.. Glad you knew what you were talking about.

Severian126
11-21-04, 09:26 AM
Um, completely newbie question. Just how do I install a new BIOS? Never done it before. :retard: Can anyone tell me how? Is it risky to install a brand new one in my system?

JRd1st
11-21-04, 04:21 PM
Anybody else thats interested in doing what SevnDusty did go over to the above site and read the forum posts, articles, etc. . Everything you need to know is there or Sign up and ask away in the forums.