PDA

View Full Version : What we know about the Half Life 2 stuttering issue thus far

Pages : [1] 2 3

cambrian
11-19-04, 06:50 PM
This site sums it up pretty well. Nvidia users need not worry that it's only their cards. It's interesting that Vampire Bloodline is having the same problem and it's a half-life 2 engine; thus, further proving that it's a game problem.

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

I've collected the following points based on my own experience and the information collected from hundreds of forum posts on this problem.
It occurs on both Intel and AMD CPUs of all speeds.

It occurs on systems with 2+ GB of RAM although it appears to be worse for users with 512MB of RAM or less.
It occurs on both ATI and NVIDIA video cards, including video cards with 256MB RAM.
It occurs with multiple sound cards and chipsets, including the Sound Blaster Live!, Audigy, Audigy 2, NVIDIA SoundStorm, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek, etc.
It occurs regardless of in-game screen resolution.
It occurs for both CD/DVD installations and installations downloaded via Steam.
It occurs on all supported versions of Windows including Windows XP Service Pack 2.
It occurs on all supported versions of ATI CATALYST and NVIDIA ForceWare drivers, including the CATALYST 4.12 and ForceWare 67.02 beta drivers that contain optimizations for Source engine games.
There are reports that lowering in-game texture detail and/or sound quality helps. I had to set texture detail to low before I noticed an improvement. This is unacceptable considering my system specs.
This issue is not the result of the in-game auto-save feature as many people suggest. While the auto-saving may cause stuttering, the stuttering also occurs many times between auto-save points.
The stuttering occurs in the same spot every time but only once per the loading of that level. I have recorded a 10 second demo that illustrates this. When executing the demo multiple times, the stuttering occurs every time in exactly the same spot. However, if while the level is loaded, you go back to the location of a previous stutter, it no longer occurs.
According to some, this problem has existed as far back as the Half-Life 2 demos that were shown at E3. Indeed, if you go back and watch some of the footage, you can hear the audio stuttering as new scenes are loaded.
The stuttering occurs in Half-Life: Source which has significantly less resources to manage than Half-Life 2.
Vampire: The Masquerade, which is based on Half-Life 2's Source engine is also reported to have the same stuttering issues.

saturnotaku
11-19-04, 07:10 PM
One thing I would like to add is that the suttering is at its worst in outdoor levels. When I'm inside, the game runs absolutely perfectly.

But the list is spot-on for just about everything. There is no doubt in my mind this is a game problem because so many people are experiencing problems. I sincerely hope Gabe and Co. are aware of this and are working on a fix.

Edge
11-19-04, 07:57 PM
Wow, that's pretty severe. I can't believe it's actually an engine bug they haven't fixed yet. Isn't that what Quality Assurance is for :rolleyes:

EciDemon
11-19-04, 08:01 PM
stuttering, is that when the game "pauses" for a few seconds every now and then, just like loading lag on low ram systems ?

I picked up the game today and was amazed to see this happen even though I have 1gb ram.
But apparently it happens on systems with more too :(
I hope they patch this soon

Slyder
11-20-04, 05:05 AM
So basicallay it stutters on every computer then. :lame:

msxyz
11-20-04, 07:19 AM
At first I though it was swapping but then I noticed the game froze for a couple of seconds even when there was no disk activity at all.

This, combined with the long loading times. really ruined the gaming experience a lot for me. I've disinstalled the game. I'll give it a try again in a couple of months before considering to sell it along with my steam account

Intel17
11-20-04, 08:07 AM
Gee! great coding Valve!!

Ninjaman09
11-20-04, 09:57 AM
This only happens on a small percentage of machines, which most likely means it's something Valve wouldn't have known about until launch. The Source engine is very impressive and I wouldn't go knocking them for a bug in version 1 :P

I'd like to add that I've not had this problem at all and I don't know what you guys are talking about.

saturnotaku
11-20-04, 10:04 AM
Valve is apparently working on a fix for the sound aspect of the stuttering. Perhaps it's something pretty simple that will be universally effective for everyone having trouble.

Intel17
11-20-04, 10:45 AM
This only happens on a small percentage of machines, which most likely means it's something Valve wouldn't have known about until launch. The Source engine is very impressive and I wouldn't go knocking them for a bug in version 1 :P

I'd like to add that I've not had this problem at all and I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I haven't had it either, but It seems like the majority of people have it...

saturnotaku
11-20-04, 10:46 AM
After messing around with various settings, I've pretty much all but eliminated it. The only time it does it now is when I first load up a savegame and when it autosaves, which I can certainly live with. Though I may try the 4.12 beta drivers again now that I appear to have the game tuned properly.

CaptNKILL
11-20-04, 11:19 AM
After messing around with various settings, I've pretty much all but eliminated it. The only time it does it now is when I first load up a savegame and when it autosaves, which I can certainly live with. Though I may try the 4.12 beta drivers again now that I appear to have the game tuned properly.
Mind telling us exactly what you did? Id love to get rid of this problem because its extremely irritating.

anzak
11-20-04, 11:24 AM
Could be be caused by a slow hard drive? I have a WD 5400rpm w/ 2mb cache and the stuttering problem is very bad in some places.

DivotMaker
11-20-04, 11:26 AM
So basicallay it stutters on every computer then. :lame:

Not here. Smooth as a baby's butt at 1280x1024x32.

X800 Pro/P4 3.2C/1 GB Dual Channel DDR

Lfctony
11-20-04, 11:22 PM
Ok, I used some of the tweaks over at tweakguides.com and it definitely has helped my system. I'm using the 4 commands in autoexec.cfg and have increased heap size to 512MB. Stuttering isn't gone, but it happens much less now.

saturnotaku
11-20-04, 11:36 PM
Ok, I used some of the tweaks over at tweakguides.com and it definitely has helped my system. I'm using the 4 commands in autoexec.cfg and have increased heap size to 512MB. Stuttering isn't gone, but it happens much less now.

What he said. :)

I also unticked the mouse filter option and that helped a bit as well along with moving my swap file back to my C: drive.

cam9786
11-21-04, 08:11 AM
^How do you move the swap to C?

saturnotaku
11-21-04, 08:25 AM
^How do you move the swap to C?

Since you apparently don't know how to change it, your swap file is on C: by default. You shouldn't need to do anything.

Superfly
11-22-04, 05:07 AM
Valve have found the cause of the sutter and an update patch will be released soon:

Quote:

11/22/04 02:09:11 AM GMT
A solution for the stuttering problem has been found and a fix is coming. I've been talking with Gary McTaggart (Valve) about this today and it turns out that my texture management theory was correct. A patch will be coming for this issue that will load all of the required textures into video memory on level load, rather than doing it during game play. There is currently no ETA for this patch, but I will post an update as soon as I get more information.

crainger
11-22-04, 05:25 AM
Nothing to do with autosaving then?? Ah well, congrats to Valve for releasing the game as bug free as it was, rare these days when alot of games are released unplayable without a patch...

saturnotaku
11-22-04, 06:15 AM
A patch will be coming for this issue that will load all of the required textures into video memory on level load, rather than doing it during game play.[/url]

Thanks for the link/update. It's beyond me how Valve wouldn't have thought this would be a problem. But the fix doesn't sound like it would be incredibly huge, perhaps a <1 mb update to change one file. Or at least we can hope. :eek2:

Vash
11-22-04, 09:08 AM
Nice. I'm glad to hear that they're at least working on it. Other than the stuttering problem, the game has no other critical bugs that I've noticed. There's small stuff, like shadows cutting through floors, and at one point I found the sun was being rendered through a building, but it's pretty tight otherwise.

|JuiceZ|
11-22-04, 09:22 AM
Valve have found the cause of the sutter and an update patch will be released soon:

Quote:

11/22/04 02:09:11 AM GMT
A solution for the stuttering problem has been found and a fix is coming. I've been talking with Gary McTaggart (Valve) about this today and it turns out that my texture management theory was correct. A patch will be coming for this issue that will load all of the required textures into video memory on level load, rather than doing it during game play. There is currently no ETA for this patch, but I will post an update as soon as I get more information.

Bout time :)

MUYA
11-22-04, 09:30 AM
W00t!!!

Vash
11-22-04, 12:23 PM
Updatage:

11/22/04 06:03:33 PM GMT
Just received the following email from Erik Johnson at Value. The patch should come out no later than tomorrow.

We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow.