PDA

View Full Version : Valve & Steam update - regarding the sound issues!!!! - yeh baby!!!!

Superfly
11-19-04, 07:18 PM
STEAM NEWS
VALVE NEWS

Steam Client Update Released
November 19, 2004, 11:03 pm valve

A small number of Half-Life 2 customers have been experiencing problems while playing the game, and we have traced these issues to corrupt Steam cache files. We've released a Steam update to help resolve these issues. If you have been experiencing problems such as crashing during gameplay or startup of Half-Life 2, please restart Steam and then click on one of the links below. Steam will then automatically verify your cache files. The verification process will take roughly five minutes to complete.

To validate Half-Life 2 click here

To validate Counter-Strike: Source click here

To validate Half-Life: Source click here

We're also investigating a solution for the sound skipping problems a small number of users are running into. We'll have a solution for this as soon as possible.

Link: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=351

wickfut
11-19-04, 07:21 PM
i have the dvd and get the sound/video repeated skipping ???

nothing to do with corrupt steam files

Superfly
11-19-04, 07:21 PM
I like the way they say "small number of users" - you gotta laugh at that.......

I just updated steam - looking forward to the promised fix for HL2 now.

Superfly
11-19-04, 07:23 PM
i have the dvd and get the sound/video repeated skipping ???

nothing to do with corrupt steam files

The steam update is nothing to do with the HL2 sound issue - read the post man - the BOLD text is about the skipping/stuttering sound issue.

Bopple
11-19-04, 07:28 PM
But they never knew about this problem? Neither did the developers of Vampire: Masquerade? Well, that's unbelievable.

Ninjaman09
11-19-04, 08:00 PM
Well, they said it only happens on a small number of computers. Personally, I've never had problems with it. The only "stuttering" I get is when the game autosaves, and even then only occasionally.

EciDemon
11-19-04, 09:16 PM
Great, did the update, now HL2 wont start, it drops to desktop after the intro fmv's and before the main menu is seen. Great

Muppet
11-19-04, 09:43 PM
Speaking of sound issues, does anyone know how to enable EAX in this game as it is not in the sound options? :bash:

superklye
11-19-04, 11:12 PM
So this is what the Steam update was today? It sure took long enough to download. Sheesh. :retard:

I don't really notice any improvements.

ST:DS9
11-20-04, 11:25 AM
Speaking of sound issues, does anyone know how to enable EAX in this game as it is not in the sound options? :bash:

No EAX option.

Edge
11-20-04, 04:45 PM
The game really doesn't use EAX? Wow, that's impressive, they have a damn good sound engine then. Some of the reverb and muffling effects sounded just amazing, it really brought me back to the old days of playing Half-life 1 on my Audigy 2 card.

Edit: Blah, actually I meant my Vortex 2 card (though I have been using my Audigy 2 for HL1 for some time now). Got my sound cards mixed up, the Audigy 2 sounds alright in HL1 but just didn't have the impact that the Vortex 2 had when I first played with it in Half-life. Boy the sound reflection on that Vortex 2 card was cool, way ahead of it's time. Too bad only 5 games supported it :(

saturnotaku
11-20-04, 05:03 PM
Half-life 1 on my Audigy 2 card.

Reminds me of playing HL1 on my Aureal Vortex 2. When they released the drivers that added EAX support to their cards, I was in the proverbial gaming heaven.

Muppet
11-20-04, 07:32 PM
No EAX option.
Thanks for your reply