PDA

View Full Version : Can ripping DVDs damage HD?

Burpy
11-20-04, 03:08 AM
I was wondering if ripping DVDs can possibly put a heavy strain on my HD and wear it down.
I mean moving all that data onto the drive can't be good, can it?
Any other hardware be it CPU or anything that can be damaged by excessive
ripping?

Just curious, thanks

r2d2d3d4d5
11-20-04, 04:14 AM
I guess it depends on how much you were doing. If you were doing it 24/7 in a badly ventilated case and your HDD was overheating then yes.

It kind of depends on your HDD though. Some drives are just not designed for round the clock use and are more likely to overheat.

Already damaged/faulty components are more likely to fail. Overclocking also carries and increased risk.

ynnek
11-20-04, 05:15 AM
I sometimes wonder about this in my HTPC, since the HD is almost always clicking 24/7, in a small little Shuttle case.. If its not recording show, then its probably converting it from MPEG2 (hw encoded by PVR250) to a smaller WMV format..

Well, its been about 1 year now, with almost continuous 24/7 operation, and the 80 gig WD I have in there still works.. MBM reports the ambient air temp avgs 40C, and high 40's under load (mpg2->wmv conversions)

I've heard some scary stories supposdily about people getting into arguments with HD makers, saying that HD was not meant to be in 24/7 use.....

CPU's and stuff, I don't worry as much, since there are obviously no moving parts to break.. as long as your in spec.

stncttr908
11-20-04, 12:19 PM
As I told you at Neowin, no. ;)

GlowStick
11-20-04, 12:56 PM
Honestly im gonna agree with stncttr908 and say no, but if your worried about hdd life you could try buying an Enterpize solution that have longer warrentys.

Western Digital has the Raptors witch are small drives but carry a 5 Year Warrenty, and a new HDD line called the Raid Edition to be used in small server raid setups.

Burpy
11-20-04, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys. My cousin wants to rip some DVDs & I didnt want my one
week old AMD64 system under heavy load that could possibly degrade performance.

Thanks again,

P.S. Thanks for the double help stncttr908.:)

ynnek
11-20-04, 02:42 PM
come on, AMD's aren't THAT fragile and buggy.. ;)

I joke, i joke..

Thanks for the help guys. My cousin wants to rip some DVDs & I didnt want my one
week old AMD64 system under heavy load that could possibly degrade performance.

Thanks again,

P.S. Thanks for the double help stncttr908.:)