PDA

View Full Version : AS5 on the GPU + memo chips

ppeccin
11-20-04, 08:42 AM
Hey guys.
I just got an NV5 Silencer and a tube of AS5.

Is it safe to use AS5 on both the GPU AND the memo chips? I mean, does it conduct electricity?
What happens if the AS5 touches the metal electronic parts?

Thanks.

TeaEtchSee
11-20-04, 08:47 AM
go ahead if u know what ure doin (mag)

Dr.Nick
11-20-04, 10:55 AM
AS5 will still mess up the card if you get any on the board. I played it safe and put AS5 on the core and Ceramique on the mem chips. Better safe than sorry;)

Faster
11-20-04, 12:35 PM
The mem chips are pretty high. so just make sure you only put a VERY thin layer on them so that it wont spill out the sides and run down on the PCB.

Mine is workin Fine :)

larsc
11-20-04, 01:24 PM
Hey guys.
I just got an NV5 Silencer and a tube of AS5.

Is it safe to use AS5 on both the GPU AND the memo chips? I mean, does it conduct electricity?
What happens if the AS5 touches the metal electronic parts?

It's safe if you're careful.

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

I played it safe and did the same thing as Dr.Nick.

theultimo
11-20-04, 05:39 PM
I'd recommend using it, but make sure you know what you are doing.

einstein_314
11-20-04, 07:39 PM
Here's what I did when I got my NV5. I put a very very thin layer on both the mem and the core. I then attached the NV5 and screwed it down. Then I removed it and added some AS5 to the places that were not touching. Replaced NV5 and screwed it down. I did this about 5 times before I got it where I liked it. And as for how tight to tighten the screws, I tightened them by hand until they wouldn't turn anymore. By this I mean until they touched the rubber bits and didn't have to actually squeeze the nut to turn it. Then I tightened each one half a turn working diagonally (from first one move to the one diagonally then to one of the remaining then to the one diagonal from that one). Then I tightened them one more half turn using the same method as above. Havn't had a problem yet. I love my NV5 :)

Ironmanstl
11-20-04, 10:59 PM
I used it on both,

there is a slight gap between the mem chips and the sink when the gpu is on tight.
I put a thin layer on the gpu and a lrg blob on each mem chip in the middle

It didn't squeeze out the sides, just to the edge, but your gap may be different than mine

ppeccin
11-22-04, 01:10 PM
Ok, thanks.

Is it OK to use the grease that comes with the NV5 on the memos, and AS5 on the core? I dont have any ceramique...
If it comes with the product, I think it would not be a bad idea!

Thanks.