PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Low Framerates in Half Life 2

Pages : [1] 2

kjata323
11-20-04, 08:21 AM
I got a probelm with Half Life 2 on my computer and it really really suxs =(

As you read from my title, you would probably have guessed what my problem was? Just to let y'all know, my computer is pretty decent....Just let me list out the specs now =)

Processer : Pentium 4 2.8GHZ C
Operating System : Windows XP Home SP2
Mobo: MSI 865 PE Neo 2
Ram : 512mb 3200 DDR SDRAM
VGA Card : Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample
Storage : 120GB Harddrive
Soundcard : Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Anyway, I got Hl2 from the store and after 1 hr of agonizing wait, I finally manage to get it to run. Set all my settings to 1280 x 1024 plus maximum for everything and ran fraps at the sametime. However at the starting (When G-Man comes out), the framerates were strong at 100, but when it started game started changing to the train part, framerate dropped to 30 - 40 fps! I thought, something was wrong? I read in forums that it stayed at above 60fps most of the time. This time, I tried turning down my settings at 1024 x 800 with all settings low..But for some reasons, I got roughly the same framerates? What was happening?

I searched from forum to forum trying out all the fixes avaliable to no avail. I even defragged my computer my the low framerates still didn't go away. Then one day, I tried formating my computer. After which I got all the latest drivers, bios etc for my computer avaliable. I installed HL2 and even defragged it according to advice avaliable. However the problem still did not go away.

I tried most of the drivers whether it was the 61s , 70s or whatever but it showed no difference in performance. I tried runnigng the card at stock speeds and overclocked it but it didn't work. I tried overclocking my cpu to 3.2GHZ but it still showed no difference!

My fate in NVIDIA is now being sorely tested. First it was stuttering framerates in games which i managed to solve in the end and nows this. I had ATI 9600 Pro last time and I never had this many problems! Could anyone tell me whats happening and how to solve it!

ThankS!

Superfly
11-20-04, 08:46 AM
weird

Lfctony
11-20-04, 08:46 AM
If you lowered the visual details and saw no performance increase, it's not your video card.

Superfly
11-20-04, 08:55 AM
buy more RAM - 512 is not enough these days for gaming.

also a low of 30fps at those settings is not bad - would give a decent average

kjata323
11-20-04, 09:05 AM
Just a note, I tried turning down the settings but the framerate roughly stayed the same.

What other part of my computer could be coursing this problem?

saturnotaku
11-20-04, 09:34 AM
As was mentioned before, another 512 mb of RAM wouldn't hurt. Also check your system for background programs running, make sure your swap file is set to 1.5x your system RAM (and on your C: drive as well). Ensure your motherboard chipset drivers are properly installed. Set anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering levels to application preference in your driver control panel. That's about all off the top of my head.

Razorman
11-20-04, 09:45 AM
Check your hdd light on the front of your case when hl2 is running, if its flashing fast it means you've got other applications running in the background, find out what they are & stop them! Maybe thats all it is, good luck.

kjata323
11-20-04, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone for their advice!

I just spent a bit of money on the 6800 GT so I am not really keen to spend more money on ram at this point of time!

What do u mean by to be "sure your swap file is set to 1.5x your system RAM (and on your C: drive as wel".

How do you do that!

Thanks!l

circuitbreaker8
11-20-04, 10:58 AM
It might be your CPU, 2.8ghz doesn't cut it anymore, especially on a game thats main focus is physics and AI. Try OCing it to 3.2ghz or more.

kjata323
11-20-04, 11:09 AM
I tried overclocking a few times to 3.2GHZ. No difference in performance tho
=(

balex99
11-20-04, 12:27 PM
I noticed a drop in frame rates if I have my Refresh Override active and I have forced my refresh rates and have V-sync enabled in the game. Don't know why but if you have your refresh rates forced try putting it back in auto in the control panel. I have only noticed this in HL2.

Good luck.

kjata323
11-20-04, 01:09 PM
Erm..Could you rephrase that? I don't really get it.

Peoples-Agent
11-20-04, 11:32 PM
I have the very same problem , except mine drops to around 45fps at the train part running 1280 by 1024 , AA X 4 ...AF X 2 ! But it never seems to make any difference , it only happens when V Sync is enabled, its too aggressive in the way that it smoothes out the frames to avoid tearing, think its because there is no triple buffer support for the game which is seriously wrong!

Superfly
11-21-04, 02:41 AM
you are dropping to 42.5 fps or there abouts because V-Sync will half your framerate if your system cannot maintain the same FPS as your refresh rate ie:

refresh @ 85hz will result in a frame rate of 42.5 as soon as your system is unable to hold 85 FPS.

If you then dropped below 42.5 for any length of time V-Sync will 1/2 your FPS yet again (this is how it works peeps) to 21.25 FPS.

How else do you think it sync's the frames..........this is normal behaviour and is the same for both NVIDIA & ATI cards.

The trick is not to use V-Sync unless you are aware of this and how to manage it.

My suggestion is set your refresh as high as your monitor will allow and switch-off v-sync as this is only needed if your FPS are CONSISTANTLY in excess of the refresh rate, tearing does notoccur unless your FPS are HIGHER than your refresh.

Peoples-Agent
11-21-04, 03:05 AM
Yeh , got it sussed down to a tee now ...used the good old fps_max in the config file!
Some things never change!

Superfly
11-21-04, 03:27 AM
what is that command - EXACTLY Pls.

thanks.

Peoples-Agent
11-21-04, 03:47 AM
Rename in config file to autoexec .... go in and just add anywhere in there
" fps_max * " without the " marks,.... my refresh rate is 85hz on my monitor @ 1280 by 1024 so I set it to fps_max 85 , with VSync off ...the frame rate never goes above 85 but at the same time, it means any slow down is less noticeable and you dont get asmuch tearing ...... makes the whole game run alot smoother ran than say running into a corridor and getting 150fps ...run outside and it drops to 40 fps ..... now, a drop from 85 to 40 odd , bearing in mind vsync will not do that halving crap at all ... u get the odd little tear but its nowhere near as bad as before! It rocks.... was an old old HL1 trick that still seems to do the job!

Superfly
11-21-04, 04:17 AM
thanks dude.

Peoples-Agent
11-21-04, 05:48 AM
Let me know how u get on with it ......
It reminds of how Doom 3 is handled, dunno why didnt just integrate this into the game!

Superfly
11-21-04, 06:00 AM
sure will

ttfn

vasileiou
11-21-04, 06:30 AM
I got a probelm with Half Life 2 on my computer and it really really suxs =(

As you read from my title, you would probably have guessed what my problem was? Just to let y'all know, my computer is pretty decent....Just let me list out the specs now =)

Processer : Pentium 4 2.8GHZ C
Operating System : Windows XP Home SP2
Mobo: MSI 865 PE Neo 2
Ram : 512mb 3200 DDR SDRAM
VGA Card : Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample
Storage : 120GB Harddrive
Soundcard : Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Anyway, I got Hl2 from the store and after 1 hr of agonizing wait, I finally manage to get it to run. Set all my settings to 1280 x 1024 plus maximum for everything and ran fraps at the sametime. However at the starting (When G-Man comes out), the framerates were strong at 100, but when it started game started changing to the train part, framerate dropped to 30 - 40 fps! I thought, something was wrong? I read in forums that it stayed at above 60fps most of the time. This time, I tried turning down my settings at 1024 x 800 with all settings low..But for some reasons, I got roughly the same framerates? What was happening?

I searched from forum to forum trying out all the fixes avaliable to no avail. I even defragged my computer my the low framerates still didn't go away. Then one day, I tried formating my computer. After which I got all the latest drivers, bios etc for my computer avaliable. I installed HL2 and even defragged it according to advice avaliable. However the problem still did not go away.

I tried most of the drivers whether it was the 61s , 70s or whatever but it showed no difference in performance. I tried runnigng the card at stock speeds and overclocked it but it didn't work. I tried overclocking my cpu to 3.2GHZ but it still showed no difference!

My fate in NVIDIA is now being sorely tested. First it was stuttering framerates in games which i managed to solve in the end and nows this. I had ATI 9600 Pro last time and I never had this many problems! Could anyone tell me whats happening and how to solve it!

ThankS!

In my system plays great

1600x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF and everything to high quality :drooling:

I finished it yesterday
I still did not understand the end and some parts of the story ?

What is these G Man with teh baggage ??
A "Human God" that can manipulate Time and Space

Why all these ??

Strange Scenario? :hmmm:

Toss3
11-21-04, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I know what u're talking about... I'm an old cs player (played it for 4years) so I know alot about the console commands in hl2 and other hl bades games :-) but I have a big problem... My fps in hl2: 5-60(fps_max 61, cl_updaterate 101, cl_cmdrate 101 and heapsize 512000) My rig: 2,4ghzP4@2,8ghz, MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum Edition, Pny verto 6800gt(420mhz/1,15ghz), 1024mb ddr 333mhz and a 350w psu.
Playing hl2@1280x1024, 4xAA&8xAF(nvidia contol panel), fastwrites off, refreshrate 60, vsync off, with everything set to the highest setting and with the 66.93s (tried 70.02, 70.20 and 70.50 and I got the same framerate).

My question: What could be causing this low framerate and is there any difference qualityvice between setting 4xAA and 8xAF on in the nvidia control panel or in the game itself? FarCry runs smooth as butter and so does doom3.

Thnx in advance :)

Ps. I've got 2fps in the attached screenshot!

kjata323
11-21-04, 08:52 AM
Got it be our motherboard? We both have the same motherboards......

Superfly
11-21-04, 08:55 AM
you have taken that shot during a save - doh

Peoples-Agent
11-21-04, 09:20 AM
LMAO Superfly, I spotted that to!
I'm not sure, but some evidance that changing settings in the nvidia panel has a performance increase rather than setting in game would be appreciated!
What does that cmd_update sumfin or other do? I can't remember now, thought that was something to do with online play ...how it sends/receives to and from the server to get a lower ping...someone pls correct me if possible!