PDA

View Full Version : Weird instability fix

Hiryu
11-20-04, 06:18 PM
I have a Gainward 6800GT w/256. I started facing severe stability issues. I could not play any game for very long (10 minutes if I was lucky) without crashing, but it had been working just fine the night before.

I thought about if I had changed anything with my system just before the instability started. I remembered I had turned down the 5% overclocking I had enabled, and I went back to no overclocking. So I tried it again with 5% overclocking. My system became perfectly stable. it was also stable at 10% overclocking. I put it back to no overclocking and my system started locking up again. Have not tried it with underclocking yet.

My system:
p4 3.2c
1024 memory
Asus P4C800-E deluxe (i875).

The instability issues occurred in both Windows 2000 and Linux.

So maybe this might help someone else.

I'd like to know what's going on, and it would be nice if I could have a stable system *without* overclocking it. I guess it's better to be stuck with a slightly faster computer.

einstein_314
11-20-04, 06:43 PM
Wow, that's kind of weird. But I guess you can't complain about the extra speed. At least you didn't have to underclock to have stability. :rolleyes:

Hydroxides
11-20-04, 09:42 PM
Pure guesswork but maybe this is down to some kind of timing issue? Could be a clash between the card and some other piece of hardware. Might be worth a Google to see if anyone with the same chipset, CPU, RAM etc. has had similar issues. First time I've ever heard of overclocking making things more stable.

Hiryu
11-22-04, 11:45 AM
Thanks but google has turned up nothing. But I don't think 5% overclocking is going to damage my system at all anyway. Particularly since my cooling is now up to the job.

BENCHMARKMAN
11-22-04, 01:38 PM
My guess is that your memory timings have become more relaxed with the overclocking and thats why you are having better stability.

Lash444
11-22-04, 04:35 PM
My guess is that with the 5% overclocking comes more voltage being sent to the chipset and agp slot which are linked. I dont know how they handle it, but seems like a fair guess since some people have more stability by sending 1.6 volts to the AGP slot.