PDA

View Full Version : HL2 works great on 6800 GT

red_star
11-20-04, 09:05 PM
Right now, I'm in the canal. So far, the game was running in the range of 80-140FPS all the time. Max details, reflection all, AA4x, AF8x, AF Optimisation ON. NVIDIA made the best card ever. It blows X800 in Doom 3 and it's running HL2 as good as X800 without enabled SM3.0 (spit)

jlee24219
11-20-04, 09:13 PM
First Off I dont really see how it blows the X800 out in doom 3. Dont get me wrong it was alot more powerful at the beginning, but then ATI released drivers that evened it out for me. I know I am getting better frams in doom with my system compared to my buds GT with a 3.2E and Kingston Hyper X. So I do believe they are almost even in all aspects.

Banko
11-20-04, 09:17 PM
The difference between Doom 3 and HL2 is that even with the new drivers, in a good system the X800XT PE still can't run Doom3 at 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf and it be playable, while the 6800U can. In HL2, both the X800 XT PE, and 6800U can run the game at 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf smoothly.

Akirhol
11-20-04, 09:24 PM
The "X card blows Y card out of the water" arguement is getting kinda old really... both cards perform so well in today's games that you won't notice a visual difference between the two while playing. So you can take a screenshot on each card and find very minor graphical differences, so what? And you can get 110 FPS with X, but only 100 FPS with Y... the average human mind can't percieve the information faster than 60 FPS anyways... this is why movies on theater film work. ;)

Both the leading Nvidia and ATI cards are awesome and will get you more performance in today's games than you most likely need. The thing that matters most is survivability, IMO. 6800+ supports Shader 3 and all DX9c functions, X800+ support only Shader 2.3. So, IMO, the Nvidia cards are a better buy in the long run, even if in a couple of games the ATI cards outperform it by such a small margin that debate over the two is laughable.

Faster
11-20-04, 09:36 PM
Well what about we all sit back and laugh at the Competition that we have all created?

By having ATi Fighting Nvidia we are getting better deals and faster cards :)

anzak
11-20-04, 09:56 PM
First Off I dont really see how it blows the X800 out in doom 3. Dont get me wrong it was alot more powerful at the beginning, but then ATI released drivers that evened it out for me. I know I am getting better frams in doom with my system compared to my buds GT with a 3.2E and Kingston Hyper X. So I do believe they are almost even in all aspects.

Not even close. The 6 series cards have a huge advantage in Doom 3 even with the latest drivers. Hell, nVidia built their GPU around that game.

As for Half-Life 2, the X800 series has the advantage but the game is to CPU limited to tell a difference.

bkswaney
11-21-04, 12:30 AM
(popcorn) (whine) :spam: :angel2:

saturnotaku
11-21-04, 12:46 AM
Right now, I'm in the canal. So far, the game was running in the range of 80-140FPS all the time. Max details, reflection all, AA4x, AF8x, AF Optimisation ON. NVIDIA made the best card ever. It blows X800 in Doom 3 and it's running HL2 as good as X800 without enabled SM3.0 (spit)

Here's $0.50, call someone who cares. :lame: :spam:

Sazar
11-21-04, 12:31 PM
Here's $0.50, call someone who cares. :lame: :spam:

dammit... I was waiting for the circle jerk to commence so I could take pictures and make a ton of money black-mailin them :(

now you've gone and blown my whole plan outta da water...

:angel2:

Dachshund
11-21-04, 05:14 PM
Who cares if gt is better in doom 3. Who in here still plays that anyway. I never even finished it got so boring and repetative

Razor1
11-21-04, 05:36 PM
Hey I thought Half Life 2 stinks too, who plays either two games more then once?

Man hate the thing where you have to "experiment" with all the nifty physics to finish a level. Yeah its good level design but still, slows the game down to a crawl.

Story em ok, but really you are following others like a dog, doing what they tell you to do. I think HL 2 isn't worth the 40 mill or what ever Valve spent on it. God and the artwork? Thats good for last years games, doesn't even hold a candle to Doom 3, the sad thing is HL 2 also uses normal maps on every surface.

Advent rising is probably going to blow its socks off.

emig5m
11-21-04, 05:50 PM
The "X card blows Y card out of the water" arguement is getting kinda old really... both cards perform so well in today's games that you won't notice a visual difference between the two while playing. So you can take a screenshot on each card and find very minor graphical differences, so what? And you can get 110 FPS with X, but only 100 FPS with Y... the average human mind can't percieve the information faster than 60 FPS anyways... this is why movies on theater film work. ;)

More framerates = smoother and more consistent gameplay. Movies don't have control/movement physics like realtime 3d games do. Movie framerates are constant and framerates in games are dynamic always changing in regards to how much actions is going on on the screen. So you see, you can't compare a 2d static movie to a 3d game being rendered in realtime. Big difference. ;)

Pantherman
11-21-04, 06:00 PM
HL 2 also runs great on my system. Why wouldn't it run great on any of the new cards? If you have the X800 Pro or 6800 GT, you're in for a great gaming experience. Save those X800 gets 98 fps vs. 92 fps for the 6800 arguments for the fanATIcs over at rage3d.

fastguy94416
11-21-04, 08:02 PM
Well really either card could blow the other out of the water. If you place one card at the bottom of a shallow pool, and then fire the other card at it at a high velocity, I am sure that the target card would, in fact, be blown out of the water.

Blueman
11-21-04, 09:50 PM
AF Optimisation ON. (spit)

How do you turn on AF optimisation i to have a 6800GT 256mb card game runs great i have the same settings as you 4xAA and 8xAF

BM

bkswaney
11-21-04, 10:49 PM
:kill: :fanboy: (popcorn)

ChrisRay
11-21-04, 11:48 PM
Ok. This thread is pointless. I'm glad your enjoying your GT. But this is spam.