PDA

View Full Version : Oh man...help me out here guys...

aAv7
11-20-04, 10:18 PM
So I love my online gaming. I have a 3mbit DSL connection and get steady pings and limited lag.

I'm moving. I got out of having to live with the ex for the 6 months I was "supposed to". Problem is, I won't be getting DSL for a month or two until things settle down at the new place and $$ is available. So I'm going from 3Mbit to 56K. =0

My question is, are their any games out there, new and/or old that are STABLE on a 56K connection? Cause I remember playing UT2K3 and man, on 56k, you'd shoot and the bullet would take a good 2 and a half seconds to finally fly out of the gun and of course you never hit the guy. Just not fun at all.

Any games not suffer from this 56K delay ? Even older games with code for dial-up, like diablo or diablo 2...quake 3, ut99, ....anything!?

S.I.N
11-20-04, 10:51 PM
I recommend chess or checkers.

Akirhol
11-20-04, 10:56 PM
Diablo 2 isn't too bad on dialup... sucks getting disconnected in the Chaos Sanctuary [or just about anywhere else for that matter], but it's better than nothing... I guess... And ever since 1.10 was released a year and a half late, so much is different in that game that I feel like I don't know anything at all about it, even tho I used to play it enough to know everything about everything. It was my gateway drug into MMOs, heh.

PS: I'm jealous that you can even get 3Mb DSL... the fastest we have up here in good ol' Alaska [note the sarcasm] is 2.4Mb Cable, and the plan costs something like 120/month.

EDIT2: This is what I really want... an exerpt from a CNN article about Verizon's Fiber testbed plans:
A 2mbps to 5mbps Fios connection will cost $35 a month if purchased along with Verizon's local and long-distance telephone service. The service will cost $40 if purchased alone. A connection of up to 15mbps is available for $45 a month if purchased as part of the same telephone service bundle, or $50 alone. The company did not reveal pricing for the 30mbps plans. :jumping:

Kev1
11-20-04, 11:52 PM
I played Q2 on dial up. I did very well too. If any servers are up I think Q2, Q3, and the original Unreal Tournament might still be fun on 56k :)

Edge
11-21-04, 12:13 AM
Half-life (and all mods based on it) has pretty decent netcode and latency compensation, even Half-life 2 and CS:S are supposed to be quite playable on dial-up. Also all Blizzard games (Starcraft, Diablo 2, and ESPECIALLY Warcraft 3...which can be played on a 14.4 connection) run beautifully on dial-up. There is NO way to get rid of the delay of actions caused by latency between you and the server, even broadband has this issue (though it's obviously less severe than it would be on dialup), but any game with decent netcode should be fairly playable on dial-up. In fact, I've even played some Xbox Live games on dial-up and they worked quite well, though anything that requires more bandwidth than what dial-up provides will lag you out (for example a 1v1 match would probably work fine with Halo 2, but 4+ player matches would not).

aaahhh52
11-21-04, 12:19 AM
Diablo 2 isn't too bad on dialup... sucks getting disconnected in the Chaos Sanctuary [or just about anywhere else for that matter], but it's better than nothing... I guess... And ever since 1.10 was released a year and a half late, so much is different in that game that I feel like I don't know anything at all about it, even tho I used to play it enough to know everything about everything. It was my gateway drug into MMOs, heh.

PS: I'm jealous that you can even get 3Mb DSL... the fastest we have up here in good ol' Alaska [note the sarcasm] is 2.4Mb Cable, and the plan costs something like 120/month.

EDIT2: This is what I really want... an exerpt from a CNN article about Verizon's Fiber testbed plans:
:jumping:
yeh just sux theres a 1000$ installation fee :wong:
Try Delta Force black hawk down, and really any of the series of delta force games, i played bhd for months on dial up with only a few disconnections here and there, and you dont see your own lag, you shoot and the bullet fires and hits regardless of your ping, only other people see you lag (I.E: better for you)

theultimo
11-21-04, 01:19 AM
A few simple game, like Arc (http://www.arc-hq.net) and MMO's work. Heck, even a few higher releases (Halo, max 6 players)...If you can handle a higher ping, like 250-300 usually.

Muppet
11-21-04, 01:38 AM
Well i`m playing half-life 2 on dial up and i`m hardly getting any lag at all. In fact it`s the best i`ve ever had and i live in New Zealand, oh so far away :)

GlowStick
11-21-04, 02:04 AM
I played Quake I and Quake II on dial up forever : )

However, counter strike should be playble, i played that on dial up also.

However you could try out a single player game such as hl2 :)

nVidi0t
11-21-04, 03:37 AM
I jused to play Quake 2 leagues over dialup.. it's just a matter of adjusting. SOF2 is playable, as well as Call of Duty, basically and Quake net code game.

Unreal is just a disaster on 56k. Most strategy games should be fine.

aAv7
11-21-04, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Nice to know I'll have something to play online. I just cant play single-player stuff for more than a week before I need that interaction with other gamers. heh.

Edge
11-21-04, 04:27 PM
Heh, despite what some might say, playing most game on dial-up isn't that bad. Oh sure, the latency is a bit annoying, but it's far from unplayable.

Oh, and for single-player games, you might want to check out Vampire TM: Bloodlines, it's a pretty fun RPG.

aAv7
11-21-04, 04:59 PM
Doesnt it run like pooh tho?

WeReWoLf
11-21-04, 06:01 PM
World of Warcraft runs fine on dialup. My friend was doing that during beta.

nVestor
11-21-04, 06:23 PM
Doesn't matter what your download is, it is your upload that is most important. I would give up my 3mb download for 768Kbp/s, so long as my upload was the same if not better. :) Though I can't really complain too much, 500kbp/s up is not all that bad. :D

Surprised you just can't have the service transfered. They are sometimes ok with that for the first time. :)

Edge
11-21-04, 06:27 PM
Doesnt it run like pooh tho?

Bloodlines? Yeah, it chugs a bit at a few areas, on my xp2000/ti4200 it gets down to 10 FPS in some area (and unfortunatly during battle, as well), but being an RPG it doesn't really need that great of a framerate to be playable.

WeReWoLf
11-21-04, 10:18 PM
lol. good thing for me is 1.5Mb/s symmetrical. Upload and download both run at the same speed.

theultimo
11-22-04, 02:20 AM
Unreal 2k3/4 can be played on dial-up, if you tweak you settings for a while.

Cs:S runs great on 56k (around 37-40k connection) with rate 4000 and cl_updaterate 15 and cl_cmdrate at 20.

(16 player server, ~190-220. 20-24 player ~250-290 24 -> ~300+)

ClosetFanBoy
11-22-04, 11:14 PM
you could join the ranks of the rtcw 56k players and camp with the panz! ;)