PDA

View Full Version : Antec, Ocz or Enermax PSU... Which one ?

Pages : [1] 2

Delbert
11-21-04, 05:39 AM
My 6800GT is on the way ( finally replacing my trusted 128MB GF4200ti ). I now need a new PSU to go with it, something that will last a few years. I also want to OC my 2.53G P4 ( Northwood ) a little more. Can only get 2.9G out of it before reboot ( 250W PSU shuting down ).

A 480W one should be enough, so i a have a choice of...

Antec 480 TruePower 75.00
Ocz Powerstream 470 92.00
Enermax 485 73.00

All have lots of 12v amps.

I am drawn to the Enermax, as i have read some reviewers comments about the Antec's burnng out after 9 months. The Ocz seems a little expensive. The Enermax also seems to be the only one with 2x12volt rails.

Problem is, i do not see Enermax mentioned much in these forums. Makes me a little nervous. What do you think ?

mustrum
11-21-04, 05:45 AM
Go for the OCZ. The small price difference is worth it in the long rung. 2 weak 12 Rails aren't as good as one with very strong ampage. The OCZ is well known for being a rocksolid OC PSU.
None of all mentioned PSUs are bad but i give my vote to the OCZ. (I wish i had one)

Delbert
11-21-04, 05:51 AM
Thx for the reply.

The Enermax has 2x12 volt rails at 18Amps each... is that considered weak ? It also has 32 amps on the 5volt & 3.volt rails.

The cooling fan also continues to run after power down to make sure all is cooled nicely. Just do not see much posted about them. (mag)

JRd1st
11-21-04, 06:02 AM
Thx for the reply.

The Enermax has 2x12 volt rails at 18Amps each... is that considered weak ? It also has 32 amps on the 5volt & 3.volt rails.

The cooling fan also continues to run after power down to make sure all is cooled nicely. Just do not see much posted about them. (mag)

Yes, 18A is weak. I don't recall how many amps the 470w OCZ has on the +12 rails, but the 520w OCZ has 33 Amps.

This is the PSU I'm going to put in my next rig unless they come up with a better one by then! OCZ makes excellent PSU's.

Delbert
11-21-04, 06:24 AM
2 x 18 amps = 36, but spec says 32amps total between both rails. I think that should be enough.

Probably going to get the Enermax, as it seems the best bargain.

rellingsen
11-21-04, 08:44 AM
The Enermax are very good PSU's and you will be fine with it. It's the one I would have picked.

circuitbreaker8
11-21-04, 12:08 PM
Another vote for the OCZ. I plan to get the OCZ 520 later this month or next month. My Antec 430 just isnt cutting it anymore ( and it has 20a on the 12v ) Another good one is the Ultra X-connect 500w ( 36a on the 12v i think ) and its modular. But the OCZ lets you control the pots, so thats why I would get it.

GlowStick
11-21-04, 12:22 PM
Another vote for the OCZ. I plan to get the OCZ 520 later this month or next month. My Antec 430 just isnt cutting it anymore ( and it has 20a on the 12v ) Another good one is the Ultra X-connect 500w ( 36a on the 12v i think ) and its modular. But the OCZ lets you control the pots, so thats why I would get it.
Stay away from the Ultra X connect, its voltages are very unregulated and the plugs fall out.

Eltigre88
11-21-04, 12:49 PM
www.ultraproducts.com

500W X-connect PSU!!!! :nanahump:

Dr.Nick
11-21-04, 01:24 PM
OCZ is the best psu money can buy. Enermax would be my second choice.

odin20
11-21-04, 01:33 PM
enermax are the most overated power suplies known. I have 2 of them sitting under my desk. I bought a 550 watt antec and they are great. Go to overclockers.com and do some research and you will find out that for high performance enermax are crap for the money. I have no idea about ocz, they may be great or not?
All i know is that Antec have been the overclockers(cpu's) etc choice for value and performance for a long time.
Enermax have had many problems with under powered supplies for overclocking. Until you see that they have fixed all the problems dont bother.
I will sell you a 465fc enermax if you want it has horrible rails and inconsistant 5v values.

Rytr
11-21-04, 02:04 PM
2 x 18 amps = 36, but spec says 32amps total between both rails. I think that should be enough.

Probably going to get the Enermax, as it seems the best bargain.

Check out this review which lists all three you referenced. http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

BTW, I am considering the OCZ although any of the 3 would be good, IMO. I need a new 24-pin psu as my current 24-pin psu supplies a weak +12V rail (11.2V...ugh!) on my new PCI-express system.

einstein_314
11-21-04, 02:08 PM
I've got the Antec 480 Truepower and have had no problems with it. I'm running my CPU and GPU overclocked, have 3 HD, and 2 optical drives. And it's pretty quite.

devilhood
11-21-04, 02:48 PM
I use the Enermax 470 Noisetaker ATX12V 1.3 and my system is loaded up with 2 ATA HD's, 2 SATA's, DVD-RW, 5 Fans, 2 Cathodes, Audigy ZS Platinum Pro, WinTV Theatre and a BFG 6800 GT flashed to Ultra.
My mobo is teh sex0rz Gigabyte 8KNXP and everything is running rock solid stable, I'd recommend Enermax whole-heartedly :nanahump:
btw I'm a n00b to this forum, so hi to everyone :)

saturnotaku
11-21-04, 02:50 PM
My vote goes to OCZ. I won't touch Enermax with a 10' pole, though Antec would be a close second.

jAkUp
11-21-04, 02:54 PM
OCZ.

I would take PC Power and Cooling over them all

JoKeRr
11-21-04, 03:40 PM
enermax!!
X-connect= no no. I've heard stories of those psu taking out a whole system. i had a friend who also had a enermax noisetaker475, and he accidentally shorted the mobo, but the psu auto-shut down, saved everything else. and it still works with solid rail. I like it b/c it's cheaper & just as powerful as ocz or antec.

Dr.Nick
11-21-04, 04:06 PM
That is funny because I tried a few 550w Antec's and they could not even boot my rig lol. And there's no way three of them were bad in a row. Anyways, I run my rig 24/7 under 100% cpu load along with a Vapochill and the Enermax hasn't skipped a beat(and its in the compressor compartment where its VERY hot). I do not recommend Antec for extremely heavy loads. I even tried a PC Power and Cooling 510 dlx and it died within one hour in a glorious white flash.

JoKeRr
11-21-04, 05:47 PM
That is funny because I tried a few 550w Antec's and they could not even boot my rig lol. And there's no way three of them were bad in a row. Anyways, I run my rig 24/7 under 100% cpu load along with a Vapochill and the Enermax hasn't skipped a beat(and its in the compressor compartment where its VERY hot). I do not recommend Antec for extremely heavy loads. I even tried a PC Power and Cooling 510 dlx and it died within one hour in a glorious white flash.

HOLY CRAP... which enermax do u use now? Noisetaker or CoolGiant??

jAkUp
11-21-04, 06:08 PM
I use to have an Enermax 430W Noisetaker... I had bad power rails, and system instability with my 6800 Ultra. I then bought a 600w Noisetaker hoping to cure the problems. They did not go away. It seems as if the new Enermax PSU's use lower quality components than they used to. I work at a computer store, and just recently the power supply's have dropped a huge amount in cost with their new Noisetaker line.... possibly because of the lower quality components.

I now have my PC Power and Cooling and I could not be happier. I have never had any stabality problems like I did with my 2 Enermax's.

My old Enermax Whisper 420w was a better powersupply than both of the Noisetaker's.

Dr.Nick
11-21-04, 06:36 PM
HOLY CRAP... which enermax do u use now? Noisetaker or CoolGiant??

I run an Enermax 550W Whisper (EG651P-VE FMA). I dont like the dual 12v rails to be honest

theultimo
11-21-04, 07:15 PM
I have an Enermax 431W Noisetaker, and I have had a lot less problems then the Antec 430 True Blue that was in it. I think Antec's rails are a bit on the low side, and my 6800 couldn't handle it.

BTW, heres a good PSU-shootout type page, from Tech Report.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

Blacklash
11-21-04, 07:46 PM
I like my enermax it has been a great PSU, if I were buying tomorrow based on all the feedback I have heard around, I would get the OCZ, or even a Fortron Source. They push hard.

MustangSVT
11-21-04, 07:56 PM
I've only had an Enermax so far. Here's how it worked out for me.

Enermax 431W bought almost 3 years ago
20a on +12v
2 hdd's on it
1 cd-rw
1 dvd-rom
6800gt oc'ed to ultra
xp-mobile oc'ed to 2.4ghz
sb audigy 2 zs
6 case fans
2 sticks of ddr
etc.

Never had any problems with it. I think OCZ is overpriced. I would never pay over $70 for a PSU. That's about how much an Enermax 460W costs. BTW, to the people saying the Enermax lines are "weak". How are they weak. It's 2 lines, one with 17A and one with 16A, or something like that. You do one of them to the video card alone, and then the other one to everything else. That's somehow weak? How do you think your precious OCZ works with 33A? One line with 33A? You can't really get over 18-20A into more than 1 line. Your so called best OCZ also obviously splits its power over two lines, to feed clean power to the video card. I have nothing against OCZ, but paying more than $70-75 for a PSU is waste of money IMO. :rolleyes:

saturnotaku
11-21-04, 08:04 PM
but paying more than $70-75 for a PSU is waste of money IMO.

You are aware that one false move from a power supply can lead to hundreds of dollars of lost hardware. The PSU is something about which you should never get cheap. Consider yourself lucky that you've not had any issues for so long, but to advise a spending limit for such a critical system component is silly.