PDA

View Full Version : XFX 6800NU heat

spiderhole
11-21-04, 10:51 AM
I'm running a XFX 6800NU, stock mem and core speeds and no softmods. I get a core temp of around 75-80c idle, and approaches 90c near the end of 3dmark. Ambient temp is in the low 50's and my cpus (dual xeon 2.8s) range from ~45c idle and ~50c with load.

This seems a bit warm compared to what others have been reporting, especially considering I'm not overclocking at all. I have a tube of ArcticSilver 5 and was wondering if it might be worth while to use this with the stock cooler. Also, is it possible to use the NV Silencer 5 on the 6800NU? I would like to be able to overclock this puppy, but with it running near 90 degrees at stock speed I don't think I'll have much luck.

Thanks,
m

StoNer
11-21-04, 11:12 AM
yea man take off that heatsink and AS5 it out and make sure its on nice n tight when u put it back on and that there is good contact as a contact problem is most likely the cause of your current temperature problems.

wEEt
11-21-04, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't overclock now, it could seriously harm your card. I would buy a NV Silencer 5, because it's very effective and absolutely not noisy and you can put it on the card without any problems. Give it a try.

spiderhole
11-21-04, 06:03 PM
Uh oh! I replaced the stock thermal paste with AS5 and now the idle core temp is reading 153c!!! Immediately shut down to prevent damage to the card. Don't know what happened, but I was very careful about properly cleaning the chip and heatsink surfaces as well as application of the AS5. The weird thing is that the crappy heatsink/fan on this card is a black metal (possibly painted?) with no copper or aluminum spreader. The contact area is black just like the rest of the surface. I'm wondering if the stock paste was something made specifically for this heatsink. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I could try to install the NV Silencer....or maybe contact Pine for an RMA. However, not sure if I've voided my warranty by removing the heatsink and replacing the termal compound. There's no visible way to tell it's been altered unless you remove the heatsink, btw.

-M

einstein_314
11-21-04, 08:55 PM
Uh oh! I replaced the stock thermal paste with AS5 and now the idle core temp is reading 153c!!! Immediately shut down to prevent damage to the card. Don't know what happened, but I was very careful about properly cleaning the chip and heatsink surfaces as well as application of the AS5. The weird thing is that the crappy heatsink/fan on this card is a black metal (possibly painted?) with no copper or aluminum spreader. The contact area is black just like the rest of the surface. I'm wondering if the stock paste was something made specifically for this heatsink. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I could try to install the NV Silencer....or maybe contact Pine for an RMA. However, not sure if I've voided my warranty by removing the heatsink and replacing the termal compound. There's no visible way to tell it's been altered unless you remove the heatsink, btw.

-M

You're sure you didn't put on too much? Or not enough? Could be that it's not even touching the HS. You're sure it got to 153c? Don't the cards throttle down when they reach 115c? And yes your warranty was voided when you removed the heatsink. But that said, you may be able to get away with a RMA. I'd go with the NV Silencer. I love mine.

spiderhole
11-21-04, 11:44 PM
You're sure you didn't put on too much? Or not enough? Could be that it's not even touching the HS. You're sure it got to 153c? Don't the cards throttle down when they reach 115c? And yes your warranty was voided when you removed the heatsink. But that said, you may be able to get away with a RMA. I'd go with the NV Silencer. I love mine.

Once I pulled the HS back off the compound seemed to be just about right coverage-wise. It does seem extreme that the temp was reading 153c, especially considering the auto throttle down and temp warning never kick in (both options are enabled). I'm thinking about ordering the NV, but not sure if I can give up TWO pci slots for it. The slot next to the AGP is empty now, but the next one hosts a high-end editing card (DPS Velocity).

Luckily, the XFX cooler is attached with two plastic pins and had no type of seal or tape to indicate user removal. The only way they would be able to tell it's been altered is by removing the stock cooler and inspecting the thermal compound.

-M