PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a Dual Monitor Walk through?

Tyr-Sog
11-21-04, 01:48 PM
Hi all, I'm a first time dual monitor guy and I'm having trouble setting it up the way I want to have it configured.

I see that NV control panel offers you single dsplay, clone, horizontal and vertical spans.

If I use clone, it's just a spitting image of my primary which doesn't allow me to drap anything over to the secondary.

If I use Horizontal, everything streaches in to both screens.

I'm wanting the secondary just for a drop location and not wanting everything to span across both screens.

What I'm I missing?

Thanks.

Sazar
11-21-04, 02:08 PM
easiest way == right click on desktop... go to display properties... click on secondary display and click on the option to extend desktop onto that display through your secondary ramdac :)

I have not used nview to extend my display in a long time so i really can't say one way or another how to do it... I do know I hated hydravision software with ati cards and stuck to using UltraMon software instead... which is quite excellent for dual displays...

Tyr-Sog
11-21-04, 02:10 PM
Also I just tried to load up EQ2 in Horizontal span and I got a 6800gt critical error. I'm assuming because it's in a streached mode of 2560x1064.

Sazar
11-21-04, 02:13 PM
sry m8... couldn't tell you bout EQ2 and splitting it over multiple displays... I exited the dual monitor world in favor of the AIW about a year ago :(

Tyr-Sog
11-21-04, 02:29 PM
Nah, figured it out, had to reboot and everything set up fine after a bit of tweaking. The only thing that sucks is I run my LCD off my DVI and my CRT on analog. So when my cursor travels in my primary(LCD) I have to drag to the right which is actually the left monitor(CRT). Not sure if their is a way to make it travel to the right.

I also cannot figure out how to do the seperate back grounds. I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later.

ricercar
11-21-04, 02:37 PM
It sounds like you want dualview instead of spanning.

Spanning treats both output displays as one huge logical port. When you maximize a window, it maximizes across both physical displays. The Windows Start bar for example spans both displays when you have horizontal span. Application software doesn't have to acknowledge that you have two displays, but some apps--especially games--don't know how to handle a nonstandard desktop size like of 2048x768, or 1024x1536 etc.

Dualview adds a second logical output. When you maximize a window, it maximizes across only one physical display, usually the current one. The Windows Start bar spans only the primary display. Applications usually start on the primary display and maybe moved to the secondsary. Some apps remember what display they last were on, and start there; this is usually great but can be inconvenient when you remove a secondary display... Some apps require their windows be used on the primary display becuase the apps choke on the second physical display--most notably video playback windows and full-screen games.

--
Sounds like you need to rearrange the logical displays to match the physical arrangement. To change the physical display, just go to Start > Control Panel > Display > Settings. Click Identify to verify which screen is which, and then in the Settings window, drag the two rectangles to the arrangement you want.

Tyr-Sog
11-21-04, 02:46 PM
Ok, yeah orginally that's what I was looking for. I may be wrong though. My main reason for pulling my second monitor out of the basement is for EQ2. I was hoping to be able to drag my inventory boxs and stuff in to the secondary screen. Well I just tried and through dual monitors it wouldn't allow me to drag in to the secondary. I'm assuming the game needs to run streched?

Also when EQ was loaded and I'd travel over to the secondary monitor and hit the refresh button on the browser, EQ would minimize.

edit:/

Yeah, just seen you advice on dragging the monitors in the advance settings. Now I travel right in to the secondary. Worked, thanyou.:)

Tyr-Sog
11-21-04, 06:42 PM
Well I tried everything to get this combo to work with EQ2. I guess it's not possible to have a second monitor in use for me to drag and drop inventory boxes there. Bummer. :lame: