PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Half Life 2

kev13dd
11-21-04, 04:35 PM
I played Half Life back in the day, but got bored with it and never finished

Now I'm so confused as to how Half Life 2 is starting. I get lots of parts, but most I am totally lost on

Can anyone give me a nice summary about the story line of Half Life 1 and how it ended??? Pretty please? Thank you!

K

tristancarton
11-21-04, 05:11 PM
reasonance cascade (time/space portal opens) at a physics underground research lab during an experiment. company sends in guards to facility to kill everyone invloved and to clean up. (you are the main scientist that they are trying to kill)

You fight your way out of facility (fight guards and monsters) and then get transported to different dimension and/or time. kill all enemies then some magical guy(gman) appears and says you have done well and that you have a choice of working for him or dying. you choose work for him.

please comment if i have left something out....it's been a few years since i played the original.

btw- that doesn't clear up anythign with how hl2 starts. it's as big of a mystery as it is to everyone else. valve knows this.

kev13dd
11-22-04, 04:41 PM
Nah it helps explain it a lot. Gman has you work for him to solve the problem at wherever HL2 starts, everyone fears you because they've heard of your excellent skill... yup yup. I just got confused for why you are working AGAINST the authority in HL2 when it seemed you were part of it (at least how far I got) in HL1. Thank you!

K

Gaco
11-22-04, 04:48 PM
Oh, and the G-man also had a very mysterious apperance in HL1. Just like in HL2, he appeared multiple times in the game (both on obvious locations where you couldn't miss him and also in less obvious, more discreet locations), then apparently disappereared when you came to investigate the spot and sorrounding area where you saw him.
Tristancarton makes an undetailed, yet suffucient review of the story and I don't think he left out anything important...

All I can say now is that I feel bad for you and everyone else, who didn't really play the first HL game ;)

OWA
11-22-04, 05:20 PM
Thanks, I needed that also since I don't think I ever went further than the first level with Half Life 1.

Also, if I can add a question, does the story pick up in Half Life 2 after the first few chapters? I'm only a little ways in but haven't really gotten much of the story or point to Half Life 2 yet. I thought maybe I was in the dark b/c I didn't play HL1. So far, there really haven't been many cut-scenes or other tidbits to advance the story so I find myself wondering what I'm actually supposed to be doing (other than just finding the next puzzle to solve).

Gaco
11-27-04, 11:53 AM
Everyone interested in the HL/HL2 storyline, look no furthur. This website summerizes it all in great detail and puts it nicely in system: http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/

OWA
11-27-04, 12:21 PM
Thanks Gaco. Interesting site.

CaptNKILL
11-27-04, 12:58 PM
That site is pretty cool but it has some inconsistancies. The basic idea seems right, but he gets the Zenians and Combine mixed up some times. Also, why is Gordon Freeman so much older looking in HL2 when he was only supposed to be 27 in the original game(i read that somewhere else) but supposedly hasnt aged a day since Black Mesa?

FierceDeityLink
11-27-04, 01:01 PM
That site is pretty cool but it has some inconsistancies. The basic idea seems right, but he gets the Zenians and Combine mixed up some times. Also, why is Gordon Freeman so much older looking in HL2 when he was only supposed to be 27 in the original game(i read that somewhere else) but supposedly hasnt aged a day since Black Mesa?
Eli said that "This picture and Alyx were the only things I carried out from Black Mesa", and I remember Valve saying that a period of 10 years has passed (although I could be wrong).

Zetto
11-27-04, 01:19 PM
where did u see gordon picture? AFAIK, his face never shows during the game.... not even in the mirrors :D

Gaco
11-27-04, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't say "some inconsistancies", I would say "one inconsistancy". I noticed that he once confused the Combine with the Xenians, but I could easily correct it myself as I was reading.
About Gordons age, I don't quite follow you. How do you know that he is so much older looking? You haven't seen his face in the game once either in HL or HL2. If you are referring to the gamebox picture, I don't think he looks older than on the old package...