PDA

View Full Version : XFX 6600 GT AGP woes....

Pages : [1] 2

Doug_S
11-21-04, 06:35 PM
I just picked up this card from XFX (had to since my work's firewalls prevent me from playing HL2 and accessing Steam on my lunch hour). And I'm having trouble with it.

I have two problems.

1) XP is now randomly locking up on me. System was just rebuilt this week and was completely stable with the old TI 4600. The moment I dropped the new card in and updated the drivers, the lockups started occuring. The lockups are random in nature but all apparently display oriented. It locked up clicking a hyperlink. It locked up booting Premiere Pro. It locked up when ICQ fired up. It locked up when I clicked the Advanced settings of the Display CP. It also locked up when I was changing the options in HL2 but that might have been a game lockup.

I only installed the drivers for the card and not any of XFX's extra software. I didn't need the TV input support and other bloatware. I immeadiately dnloaded the latest Nvidia reference drivers. I also updated the NForce 1 board's BIOS. None of that made a difference. I just fired off an email to XFX tech support.

System specs...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model System Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2127 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7N266-C ACPI BIOS Rev 1004, 8/30/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 747.05 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB

Everything on the system in regards to hardware and drivers is current I believe. So I'm not happy.

2) The second problem is in regards to HL2. The graphics are horrid. It's a 3D display problem that I've seen before with other games on other graphics cards (I'm an SQA Engineer that occasionally has had to play games as part of my testing, which is why I could get away with playing HL2 at work if my IT hadn't turned the network into Fort Knox).

The problem is I'm getting all kinds of garbage on the screen. Textures are wrong and wierd triangle shapes are following various 3D objects as they move around the screen. In the past, I've seen this happen to games where the display drivers settings are wrong for the game but it was so long ago I forgot what corrective action I had to take to fix the problem. I'm running Windows with the drivers' default settings at 1280x1024x32 at 85Hz refresh. The only setting I change in HL2 was I turned on 4x AA and I believe I'm running at 1024x768 but don't quote me on that.

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to solve either problem, I'd be most grateful.

Kev1
11-21-04, 07:29 PM
The 6600GT AGP cards say they support agp 8x. The motherboard you have it in supports 4x agp. Technically it should work in a 4x agp mobo but I have yet to find info confirming it does.

If I can't, then maybe it needs an AGP 8x mobo because of the bridge chip, I dont know. If I find any info I'll post.

quik_2_win
11-21-04, 07:42 PM
Honestly sounds like a bad card-
Unless it's overheating or your power supply is flaky.

Doug_S
11-21-04, 08:05 PM
"The 6600GT AGP cards say they support agp 8x. The motherboard you have it in supports 4x agp."

This was a concern of mine going into this. I really didn't want to upgrade the mb at this time. I'm trying to hold out until next year when Nforce4 is in wide supply and the FX55 was well established and then I was going to go PCI-E with my graphics. The 6600 GT was forced upon me to play HL2 at home. The XFX website seems to say that a 4X board will do but NewEgg says it's 8X only. The amgiguity is frustrating.

If I have to buy a new mboard, I will but I won't like it.

Honestly sounds like a bad card-
Unless it's overheating or your power supply is flaky.

Bad card? Too soon to tell. Overheating seems a bit odd since it's happened immediately after booting but also hours after running. The tower case is solid as far as I can tell and I've never had a problem with the power supply before. But then I never had to power the graphics card before either.

Reliant
11-21-04, 08:11 PM
"The 6600GT AGP cards say they support agp 8x. The motherboard you have it in supports 4x agp."

This was a concern of mine going into this. I really didn't want to upgrade the mb at this time. I'm trying to hold out until next year when Nforce4 is in wide supply and the FX55 was well established and then I was going to go PCI-E with my graphics. The 6600 GT was forced upon me to play HL2 at home. The XFX website seems to say that a 4X board will do but NewEgg says it's 8X only. The amgiguity is frustrating.

If I have to buy a new mboard, I will but I won't like it.

Bad card? Too soon to tell. Overheating seems a bit odd since it's happened immediately after booting but also hours after running. The tower case is solid as far as I can tell and I've never had a problem with the power supply before. But then I never had to power the graphics card before either.It's probably your power supply since the card's power load is highest at startup and after playing intense graphics.

einstein_314
11-21-04, 08:51 PM
It's probably your power supply since the card's power load is highest at startup and after playing intense graphics.

And clicking on a hyperlink? And opening ICQ? I don't know about that. But then, you never know.

Doug_S
11-21-04, 09:29 PM
And clicking on a hyperlink? And opening ICQ? I don't know about that. But then, you never know.

It also locked up when I was trying to move a file. The only intense graphic thing I did, besides futz with HL2 for a minute as play video on my computer. And I did that for ten minutes without a hiccup...

Kev1
11-21-04, 09:49 PM
Well, dont think you need new motherboard. XFX says its supports AGP 2.0 (4x), so your ok with that. First time I saw it in print and I've been looking everywhere.

Reliant may be correct about power supply. What is your power supply anyway? How many amps on the 3.3, 5.5, and 12 volt rails? Amps should be on sticker on side of power supply.

Could you post all your hardware specs too? It might help. Hard drives, memory, etc etc.

Warden13
11-21-04, 09:52 PM
Did you uninstall all drivers and run driver cleaner first? Personally I suggest boting into safe mode, uninstalling drivers, reboot into safe mode, run driver cleaner, reboot and install new drivers.

Warden

Doug_S
11-21-04, 10:14 PM
Well, dont think you need new motherboard. XFX says its supports AGP 2.0 (4x), so your ok with that. First time I saw it in print and I've been looking everywhere.

Reliant may be correct about power supply. What is your power supply anyway? How many amps on the 3.3, 5.5, and 12 volt rails? Amps should be on sticker on side of power supply.

Could you post all your hardware specs too? It might help. Hard drives, memory, etc etc.

You may be on to something. I thought it was 450W but it's only 300W. Antec PP-303XP 300W Switching Power Supply. Ams on the 3.3, 5.5. and 12 volt rails are 20, 30, and 15A respectively.

Here's what it's feeding...

ASUS mboard
Athlon XP 2600 with CPU Fan. Plus two Tower Fans on the Antec Tower.
HP CD-Writer
Pioneer DVD -RW Burner
40 Gig Seagate EIDE drive
120 Gig Seate EIDE drive
Generic Firewire Card
Floppy drive
USB is powering an external hub (currently empty and it's self powered) and a Logitech Mouseman.
WACOM tablet (connected to serial)
Netgear Wireless network card
Belkin USB 2.0 expansion card
Dolbe 5.1 Audio expansion card for the ASUS mboard
Generic Modem (not used but still attached)
and of course the 6600 GT

Basically all my slots are used.

Other info...

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA nForce AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

Memory Address 0xC8000000-0xC9FFFFFF NVIDIA nForce AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xC8000000-0xC9FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
IRQ 18 Compaq Data Fax Modem
IRQ 18 NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311T
IRQ 18 Sony 8032 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA nForce AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA nForce AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

Memory Address 0xCA000000-0xCD7FFFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Memory Address 0xCA000000-0xCD7FFFFF Sony 8032 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 5 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital) OK
IRQ 20 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface OK
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1) OK
IRQ 18 Compaq Data Fax Modem OK
IRQ 18 NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311T OK
IRQ 18 Sony 8032 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 19 NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT OK

2 512 Kingston KVR266XC4C2/512 sticks

Going on the theory I'm overextended on power I've unplugged the USB (though it's self powered so I shouldn't gain much there) and I've also pulled the power on the DVD burner for now. This was precipitated by the fact that the system locked up twice in a row while I was writing this and I didn't want to have to rewrite this a 4th time. In fact it almost locked up just now but it's unlocking itself after a delay of about five seconds. It's doing kind of a stutter step thing where it freezes then unfreezes. Hmmmmmmm...

Is there a way to measure power consumption via software? I'm not using the ASUS bloatware, just the Nforce 1 reference drivers.

StoNer
11-21-04, 10:38 PM
A new agp 8x mobo doesnt cost much, you can pick a normal one up for around 50-60 bux that will last u until u upgrade. Then u would have a 2nd system with agp8x already. Either that or one to sell.

But id definetly wanna see if the card was bunk first b4 i tried for a new mobo. Try the card in a friends computer, or RMA it and see if the new one works better.

Doug_S
11-21-04, 10:44 PM
Here's a screengrab from HMonitor...

bkswaney
11-21-04, 10:54 PM
Here's a screengrab from HMonitor...

That +5V is low.
It should be 5.00+ volt. Mine runs 5.31 or so all the time.

Doug_S
11-21-04, 11:02 PM
Based on a reccomendation I changed the Graphics appature size from 256 to 64 and Video Memory Cache Mode to USWC

Kev1
11-21-04, 11:06 PM
That +5 isn't too bad. Mine runs at 4.97 according to MBM5. Actually, these are my readings:

+3.3: 3.28 to 3.3v (28 amps)

+5: 4.97v (36 amps)

+12: 11.92v (20 amps)

-12: -12.11v

-5: -5.14

I have no problems. Maybe still needs more powerful power supply tho, or new NForce2 8x agp mobo. Both are relatively inexpensive now. I think if I was going to replace anything, it would be the power supply first with a 480 or higher one.

Kev1
11-21-04, 11:08 PM
Did those tweaks fix anything? My agp aperture size is at 512 megs, but I have 1 gig of memory so its ok setting at that.

Doug_S
11-22-04, 12:14 AM
No. And we wanted to try and disable Fastwrite in the driver but Riva has it greyed out... :retard:

We also rolled back the driver to the version that came with the card because Riva hadn't yet caught up with the driver version I had. Also updated Nforce1 to the latest version. It still crashes. Think I'm going down to Fry's tomorrow and pick me up a bigger power supply. I'm gonna need it eventually anyways when I do the system upgrade next year.

rohit
11-22-04, 02:24 AM
u shld try ur card in some other system, pro'lly a friend's just to make sure ur grafic card is faulty or thers some othr prob.!

Cycloon
11-22-04, 03:05 AM
I bet it's your psu else its the graphiccard. Don't think it has anything to do with the rest of your pc.

Doug_S
11-22-04, 08:18 AM
There is only one other system I have available that's capable of handling the card. Problem is it's contaminated with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card and it's not the same chipset and it's an Intel CPU so even if it doesn't crash the system, there are so many changes in the setup between the two that the results would be indicative of practically nothing (this is the SQA Engineer in me talking).

I'm going to go the power supply route first. Then if it's still locking up I'll see about swapping the card. I'm seeing a lot of these lockups occur within the first few minutes (less than 5) of the computer being rebooted). Not all of them however.

Kev1
11-22-04, 10:45 AM
If fastwrites are enabled, that can cause stability problems. It did on my setup. If Riva Tuner has it being on but greyed out, you need to turn it off in your mother board bios.

Thats what I did and it helped greatly. Also, if you upgrade power supply, you may want to get one thats powerful enough for your new system that your planning next year so you don't have to buy it again :)

I'm interested in how you solve your problem because I'll hopefully be upgrading to a 6600GT AGP or 6800NU by the end of this year or early next year.

TheTaz
11-22-04, 12:22 PM
If fastwrites are enabled, that can cause stability problems. It did on my setup. If Riva Tuner has it being on but greyed out, you need to turn it off in your mother board bios.

Thats what I did and it helped greatly.

He can't turn it off in the bios. I'm the one that's been helping him over the phone with nforce driver update / display driver rollback / riva tuner.

We have the same motherboard (Well it's my kid's machine now, I have an nForce 2 for myself and wife)... ASUS A7N266-C, with latest bios flashed. There is no setting in the bios to turn fastwrites off.

There's gotta be a way to hack the registry so that the option shows up in the nVidia driver panel (coolbits?), or can be hard set in the registry.

Normally... I would think that a new PSU is a flakey suggestion.... 300 Watts should be more than enough... but he's got every PCI slot filled + 2 hard drives + 2 CD / DVD drives. So buying a PSU isn't a bad idea... but I don't think it will totally solve the problem.

I think it's either:

1) XFX states AGP 8x motherboard required (And something with the PCI-E to AGP bridge chip is preventing good compatibility with 4x) In which case, he'll need to exchange the card, or hope for a bios updated from XFX.

or

2) Fast Writes with this bridge chip and agp 4x is causing havoc, and Fast Writes need to be turned off somehow.

or

3) The card is bad and he needs to RMA it.

If it's #1... he's screwed unless Newegg has a different brand 6600GT available that clearly works with AGP 4x.

And I also agree that an nForce 2 Motheboard is a cheap solution... but the whole point of him getting a 6600GT was so he wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. Besides... with all the crap he has in his case... it would be a pain in the ass.... but it may come down to that. LOL

Taz

Kev1
11-22-04, 02:49 PM
Hi Taz. Well, I'd get new mobo and keep the 6600GT as good NForce2's are very inexpensive now. I'm going to upgrade mine to a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 LSR soon. It has SATA connectors, 8x agp, and is only $59.50 (with $5 dollars shipping) now at NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-475&depa=0

I'd like to upgrade to PCI-E mobo's too but its just too much money for me at this point. $200 dollars for cpu, $140 for mobo, $200 for video card (or more). Its less than half that if I just get new NForce 2 mobo and video card. I doubt I'll get PCI-E until 2006 at the earliest (unless a windfall hits me or something).

I'm very happy with NForce2 and AXP cpu's. Great performance with all games and very stable too. I think I'll be sticking with it a while.

I hope you guys can solve the problem without spending more money. If not then without spending very much money. I'm sure once the 6600GT is working correctly Doug-s will love the card :) And he'll be set for FarCry, Doom3, and HL2 :D

Doug_S
11-22-04, 06:36 PM
480 W power supply didn't fix it. I've pulled the card. I'm gonna take it into work tomorrow and drop it in a P4 and see what happens.

Is there any way to get at Fastwrite beside Riva?

Kev1
11-22-04, 08:44 PM
With my mobo you enable or disable fastwrites in the mobo bios. Unfortunately you can't do that with yours apparently. I think there are programs besides RivaTuner which will turn fastwrites off, but I dont know what they are.

It may be a good thing to search the forums at this website as they have lots of info:

http://www.guru3d.com/

Maybe do a Google search for "Turning Off Fastwrites" too. Post back how things go. I'm actually getting kinda anxious about solving your problem. You should be enjoying your new video card now, not trouble shooting :rolleyes: