PDA

View Full Version : HL2 - command to enable player reflections/shadows?

rewt
11-22-04, 10:34 AM
Is there a way to see Gordon's reflection in the water/glass/etc. ?!?

BTW I already tried searching but look http://www.steampowered.com/forums/search.php the search function was disabled.

OMG thats :lame:

Edge
11-22-04, 12:11 PM
Lol, search function disabled on the Steam forums, that's classic.

Anyway, I don't think there's really a way because normally there's no Gordon player model in the single-player game. Even if you go into 3rd person view, there's nothing there, just a floating gun. So I don't think you'd be able to see a reflection of it, although the only thing that would reflect it is water (there are no other mirrors or anything in the game). Similarly, without a model to cast a shadow, I don't think there's a way to enable player shadows, either.

I do actually wish you could see your own body when you look down. It just seems so strange that a game like this that's trying to be immersive that you end up being nothing more than a floating gun. You'd think with so many other first-person games having body awareness and shadows (Riddick, Breakdown, Halo 2, Thief 3, etc.) that Half-life 2 would at least make it an option.

rewt
11-22-04, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

How is Halo 2? I think I might take Half-Life 2 back and exchange it. I can't even play HL2 now it keeps crashing on me with a memory read error :mad: I was reading here on nvnews and on the steam forums. many people having the same problem so I know it isn't my pc or driver causing it. I am very disappointed in this game. I payed almost $60 for it and it doesn't even work! And I can't even see a reflection. Even Doom3 and FarCry had character reflections!! HL2 needs some serious work. You would think they'd have it working after they delayed it for a whole year wouldn't you?

Vash
11-22-04, 01:17 PM
Seriously, keep both games. Both of them are awesome and well worth your time. As for HL2 giving you grief... have you changed the startup parameters? I got that same error on loadup when I accidently changed my heapsize to match my system RAM instead of 1/2 of it.

rewt
11-22-04, 01:23 PM
Seriously, keep both games. Both of them are awesome and well worth your time. As for HL2 giving you grief... have you changed the startup parameters? I got that same error on loadup when I accidently changed my heapsize to match my system RAM instead of 1/2 of it.

Yes I have. I have it set to half my system memory. Do you think it could still be causing the memory read error? The error says;

Error instruction at <such and such> blah blah. The memory could not be "read".

I remember one time a long time ago when I used to use AOL (or AOHell as I call it). I had the same exact error, only the memory addresses were different of course.

Thanks for your help!

Edge
11-22-04, 01:24 PM
I agree with Vash, both Halo 2 and Half-life 2 are great in their own ways, but it does suck that a few people seem to be having memory crash errors (I had that happen to me a couple times though the game, Vampire Bloodlines also seems to have the issue, and that's running on Source as well). I'm more annoyed with the disc in the drive requirement, though....

But definatly make sure you don't have any viruses or anything on your computer, the game may just be amplifying any system instability you have. A good defrag/disc check might help too, my loading times got a little bit faster after I defragged my harddrive (though they still take too long...)

Edit: maybe even try setting your heap size to 1/4th of your ram rather than half. It could be a cause for the memory read errors.

rewt
11-22-04, 01:30 PM
Edit: maybe even try setting your heap size to 1/4th of your ram rather than half. It could be a cause for the memory read errors.

Thanks Edge. :) I will give that a try tonight when I get home from class.

Do you think I should change it to 1/4 of my memory or just eliminate the heapsize value altogether? I wonder which one would give better performance.

Edge
11-22-04, 01:49 PM
I think the heapsize is basically a storage area to put things it needs to access quickly or something like that, so it's not recommended that you eliminate it altogeather (in fact the game might not even run with a heapsize of 0). Setting it to 256 megs should be enough, that's what I run it at now with my 768 megs of ram and it seems to work alright.

Oh, and I think the default heapsize is like 64 megabytes or so, so pretty much any value of 128 or higher is going to give you better performance.

rewt
11-22-04, 01:53 PM
Alright. I will try it both ways. First I will try 256 megs. If that doesn't work I'll take off the command and let it use default. If that doesn't work, well...

fastguy94416
11-22-04, 05:22 PM
You're computer is not the best bud... I'm running an 1800+ and a 9500np flashed to 9700pro, it works pretty well, but I dunno about that 5900. I dunno, it should work fine, maybe there is a problem with your memory. Don't flame me, I'm too tired and may lash out at a tree or something.

rewt
11-22-04, 06:46 PM
You're computer is not the best bud...

Na really? :rolleyes: Neither is yours.

Dude many people have the same issue as I do. It is not a system instability. It is a game bug. I'm 100% sure of it.

BTW I'm totally happy with my system's performance, even in HL2 (when it plays without crashing anyway). I play the game in DX 9 mode with all settings to high and driver to High Quality with some AA and AF. My 5900 handles anything I throw at it, so I have absolutely no reason to upgrade. Why else do you think I ask how to enable HIGHER GRAPHIC OPTIONS such as Gordon's reflection? Its a pity this game doesn't have it..

PS - Nice sig ;)

hypertek
11-23-04, 02:08 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/streetphase/Image1.jpg

according to some sites, hopefully valve will release a patch tomarrow.. all we can do is cross our fingerrs...

CaptNKILL
11-23-04, 02:13 AM
Ive had that error a few times. Even once while trying the new HL2MP mod. Very irritating to say the least...

jAkUp
11-23-04, 03:07 AM
Strange thing is HL2 is one of the first games in a while that I played through the entire game without any error message, or lockup.

Doom3 gave me a few memory dump errors every once and a great while.

holmes
11-23-04, 03:20 AM
hehe.. nice pic. (crazy)

rewt
11-23-04, 06:12 AM
Yes thank you hypertek, for backing me up and providing that wonderful screenshot. I got that error in the exact same spot once!! My theory is that the error occurs when loading new parts of the level into memory (the same issue that causes the sound/game stuttering). In that case the patch should fix it :D