PDA

View Full Version : Any benchmarks comparing a ti4200 to a 6800?

Edge
11-22-04, 01:27 PM
Well, it's that time of the year again, the time when I upgrade my graphics card at the Black Friday sale :D . Unfortunatly, this year is pretty slim pickings, about the only decent value I can find is a pny 6800nu. While I know it would be a big upgrade from my current ti4200, are there any benchmarks that actually compare the two? So far most of them only compare it to the FX5900 or 9x00, so it's a little hard figuring out just how many times more powerful the 6800 is to my card.

Also, what are my chances of getting a 6800nu that can have the extra pipes unlocked? Particularly the PNY 6800. Also have the NV41 cores started poping up yet, or are all 6800s still using the NV40 core?

MUYA
11-22-04, 08:04 PM
Tom's has a VGA performance chart that includes most 3d cards since 2000....I think.

MUYA
11-22-04, 08:11 PM
The link

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

Edge
11-22-04, 09:21 PM
Wow, cool, that's a lot more comprehensive than I thought it would be. Not bad at all...a 2.5x upgrade overall, plus I use AA/Aniso so the gap will probably be even bigger. How come the 6800nu falls so far behind the 6800gt and ultra in some tests (like less than half the FPS), though? Is it really only because of the 128megs less of video ram? I didn't think the gap would be that big...

ragejg
11-22-04, 10:28 PM
It's the ram amount and the pipeline difference, Edge.

Ssexyman8404
11-23-04, 02:16 AM
I have a PNY Verto 6800NU. I get amazing overclocking results, 410 and 900 from the standard 325 and 700, in conjunction with the unlocked pixel pipes and extra geometry engine. But be warned, although my geometry engine is problem free, I get absolutly freakin terrible textures in half life 2 if I'm overclocked OR in 16 pipe mode. Strangly, neither far cry, nor halo, nor doom 3 has any problem with extreme overclocking in conjunction with unlocked pipes. I hope they patch that train wreck of a masterpeice that is Half Life 2. And remember, I might just be lucky. From what I've read, unlocking the pixel pipelines is hit and, mostly, miss. I REALLY wish I'd opted for the GT, if my opinion and experience matters to you.

Ssexyman8404
11-23-04, 02:47 AM
Wow, the 6800NU does perform terribly at 1600-1200 in the tests in the link above. I'm glad my monitor doesn't go that high lol. It appears to be EXTREMELY memory limited at those resolutions. I think overclocking would close the gap some.

Edge
11-23-04, 06:00 AM
It's the ram amount and the pipeline difference, Edge.

Even taking into account the quarter less pipes and half memory, you'd think it wouldn't be THAT much slower than the GT. 30% or 40% I could understand, but 20fps vs. 50fps? Especially when almost every other resolution shows a much smaller gap. I guess at the higher resolutions the lower RAM really affects performance, I wonder if the framerate actually drops or if there are actually pauses while it swaps textures from the video card...

Oh well, my monitor only goes up to 1280x1024 anyway, and only up to 1152x960 with a decent refresh rate, so I guess the high-resolution tests aren't that big of a deal to me...yet. If I can play at 1152x960 with 4xAA/lvl8aniso in most games, I'll be happy. BTW Ssexyman, what kind of framerates do you get on the 6800 with HDR under Farcry? Is it moderately smooth or does it drop to unplayable levels at times? Taking into account you got lucky with your overclocked/unlocked 6800, of course. What does the GT and Ultra run at btw?

theultimo
11-23-04, 03:06 PM
Even taking into account the quarter less pipes and half memory, you'd think it wouldn't be THAT much slower than the GT. 30% or 40% I could understand, but 20fps vs. 50fps? Especially when almost every other resolution shows a much smaller gap. I guess at the higher resolutions the lower RAM really affects performance, I wonder if the framerate actually drops or if there are actually pauses while it swaps textures from the video card...

Oh well, my monitor only goes up to 1280x1024 anyway, and only up to 1152x960 with a decent refresh rate, so I guess the high-resolution tests aren't that big of a deal to me...yet. If I can play at 1152x960 with 4xAA/lvl8aniso in most games, I'll be happy. BTW Ssexyman, what kind of framerates do you get on the 6800 with HDR under Farcry? Is it moderately smooth or does it drop to unplayable levels at times? Taking into account you got lucky with your overclocked/unlocked 6800, of course. What does the GT and Ultra run at btw?

The biggest difference is the GDDR3 memory.

Much more efficent, and double the memory then the DDR-2 NU version.

Far Cry w/ HDR seems to cut the FPS about in Half.

Ssexyman8404
11-23-04, 06:23 PM
I don't know how Far Cry High Dynamic Range effects me, cause I've got the patch but can't find how to enable it. I know what it is, and its definatly not there, unless they employ very very poorly. Oh well, I'm sure someone will post a smart assed, and rather rude, response that its rather easy to enable. I've noticed that around here. Just apear genuinly puzzled by something, and the inferiority complexs will jump all over you. Just set the bait and hope among the mindless flaming they actually inform you how to enable it lol. But Far Cry has never performed good on my setup. Athalon XP2400+ ,133mhz FSB, 1 gig pc2700, PNY Verto 6000NU. Its more intensive than Doom3 by far, at least on my something limited setup.

Edge
11-24-04, 04:40 AM
I think you have to enable it via console command, though I'm not totally sure what it is, let me check...

Edit: here we go, to enable HDR with the 1.3 patch, just open up the console and type "r_hdrrendering #", where "#" is any number between 1 and 12. Different HDR values give different effects, supposedly 7 is the best looking but the biggest drag on performance. You might want run it in the Cold rendering mode (found under options), since HDR can be pretty exadurated using Farcry's normal color pallete. There's also a bunch of other tweaks you can adjust about the HDR, check out this thread for more info: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39464
BTW, I haven't noticed many rude responses around here, unless it's a REALLY dumb question (like "can I mod my Geforce 2 into a Geforce 6800" or something ;) ).

Oh, and you *may* be getting kinda low Farcry performance if you set your texture resolution too high. I'm guessing that 128 meg cards get overloaded with textures when they're set to the highest value, since they don't have enough texture ram to store them all. Same thing supposedly happens with Doom 3, since the highest texture setting is supposed to use over 300 megs of textures. Don't call your setup limited though, it makes my xp2000/768ram/ti4200 machine sad :(

911medic
11-24-04, 08:42 AM
The biggest difference is the GDDR3 memory.

Much more efficent, and double the memory then the DDR-2 NU version.

Far Cry w/ HDR seems to cut the FPS about in Half.I think the non-ultra's actually come with DDR-1. Scroll down to the bottom of this page (http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/162/2/) for a comparison table of the GeForce 6-series specs.