PDA

View Full Version : Sid Meier's Pirates!

Pages : [1] 2

zoomy942
11-22-04, 02:48 PM
I just wanted to stand up and be counted as saying...

I CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME!

oldsk00l
11-22-04, 02:56 PM
You weren't talking about suprnova???

;)

nVidi0t
11-22-04, 10:24 PM
Me too, it looks sweet!

FluxCap
11-23-04, 06:22 AM
Picking up my limited edition copy today at 10am when Gamestop opens. :)

Based on comments from beta testerse, it looks to be a great remake and very fun.

zoomy942
11-26-04, 11:59 AM
wow... this game is all about nostalgia! i am having a blast with it! but one thing.. if anyone lese is playing this game.. how do i attack towns?

zoomy942
12-01-04, 06:03 AM
this game is just an enormous amount of fun! i can stop playing it. everone i work with is playing it and they cant stop talking about it.

vasileiou
12-01-04, 07:26 AM
Some ppl in Rage3d say that it is boring, repeative, and the graphics mediocre

I just want these game too
But all these opinions really confuse me (from both forums)

Anyway i guess i will buy it to see for myself

vasileiou
12-03-04, 03:15 PM
Forget what the Rage3d stupid guys says

These game is fun (snowlol)
The Only problem is that it becomes a little repeative...

zoomy942
12-03-04, 05:46 PM
it does become a little bit repetative, but remember, this is a throwback to an original. back then, it was great and we all dealt with repeating. this game is everything the old one was and then some extras that enhance the whole experience. i think that even people that have never tried Pirates or usually dont like adventure games should give it a try. it's great mindless fun. which is nice after all my bloodlines, HL2, and rome:total war playing, my brain needs a break.

i'm not down with forum bashing, but just take rae3d psts with a grain of salt.

and i gotta throw props to our excellent moderators for making sure we have an intelligent environment.

Mr^Yahtzee
12-03-04, 08:06 PM
over the weekend i picked up the halflife 2 collectors edition and the sid meirers pirates, i got the non limited edition version and i must say the packaging in it self rocks on the pirates game' one to definately put in the cabinet for show' very cool looking box art and the game is fun (snow=D)

vasileiou
12-04-04, 04:22 AM
I just won Pirate BlackBeard (snowlol)
The Terror of the Black sea !!! (snow=D)

I am now playing at Journeyman (Second Difficulty) and the game is more challenging especially in Sword battles

I guess i have to share my Loots with the other crew because they have started to mutiny...Damn (mikec)

Greg
12-04-04, 06:49 AM
Can someone please tell me about the controls in this game. Can I use the mouse (I like mouse). Do I have to use keypad for everything? Are the controls fun to use eg. so simple and easy its actually fun?

zoomy942
12-04-04, 09:38 AM
you can use a mixture of keyboard and mouse or one or the other. on the bottom right of the screen, there is a section with the available movements and actions, but this is in the same of the numberpad on your keyboard. and the numbers are on there also, so you can use the number pad for everything, or click your mouse on the actions that are on the screen, or click you mouse in the gameplay area anywhere and your ship will adjust its course automatticallly. the controls are very simple, and thats somrthing that makes the game so enjoyable. i use the arrow keys to steer my boat and i use my mouse to click the cannon-fire button

Greg
12-05-04, 04:59 AM
Okay, thanks for the info zoomy942.

zoomy942
12-05-04, 09:27 AM
sure thing. any more questions, shoot them this way.

SElkie
12-06-04, 03:56 AM
The only way I was able to attack a town was at the very beginning. I upset the French and I had yet to get the mustache so when I went into port it gave me the option of attacking, sneaking in, or leaving. Besides that the only time I see the option is when you go to shore first and then walk to a town but the option is faded and I cant select it. I hope sacking a town is as much fun as taking out the old man at his hideout.

This game is good old fashioned fun.

WeReWoLf
12-06-04, 06:45 PM
I haven't seen it anywhere in Australia yet. Has it been released over here?

SElkie
12-06-04, 07:11 PM
It came out on the 22nd of November

Parts
12-07-04, 05:42 PM
Hows your guys FPS on this game?

Is there a cap at 30 out at sea? mine cant go over.

vasileiou
12-08-04, 02:41 AM
1600x1200 all Graphic details are MAXED and it plays smooth with me :luv:

Greg
12-08-04, 03:30 AM
sure thing. any more questions, shoot them this way.

I'll take you up on the offer...

I am thinking of buying this game but don't want to play it a few times then get bored and leave it forever, particularly since it is a full price product.

Most reviews have given this game a high rating of 80-95%. This usually means it is a solid product that most people can enjoy. A couple of review have given it 70% saying the mini games are repetative and boring and that sailing against the wind for long trips is dull. What are your thoughts on the mini games and longevity / replayability of the game?

zoomy942
12-08-04, 06:11 AM
before i get too into this, remember, it's just my opinion. :)

the minigames of Pirates are a double-edged sword. while they can get slightly repetitive, its the ease of the minigames that makes Pirates so enjoyable. 2 minigames are the most common, and, to me, they dont become too repititious because they are short. and when you are successful, you get a different reward each time.

the first time you are sailing around and you engage in a sea battle, you will forget all about the POSSIBILITY there might be a few small aspects of Pirates that you dont like. personally, i could spend the life of my pirate just sinking boats. that is, without question (to me) the greatest thrill of pirates.

there is plenty of replay value, since Pirates is so open ended. for exaample, if you want to spend your first play through the game, doing the things that you are supposed to (but there is no penalty if you dont).. go ahead. I have done that, and i have restarted the game and i am now going and attacking all the spanish towns, and since i am attacking them with enough men, i can chose what the governor will be. i have alomst the entire map as dutch. and next time when i play it, i am goin to try a different approach. i have about 4 things lined up for what i want to do on my next play-throughs. i hope this helps a little. any more questions, i'll be here.

EDIT: sailing against the wind does suck if your flagship is a HUGE boat. all you need is a Royal Sloop, and the world is a brighter place. :)

Greg
12-17-04, 05:27 AM
I've got the game now and have just started playing. I am wondering if there is a way to enable extra graphics features like Anisotripic Filtering and AntiAliasing within the game rather than forcing it through drivers. I have read the readme and checked out the .ini files, but found nothing yet.

MOTÖRHEAD
12-17-04, 06:40 PM
EDIT: sailing against the wind does suck if your flagship is a HUGE boat. all you need is a Royal Sloop, and the world is a brighter place. :)

Royal Sloop's rock ! I been trying to get a Mail Runner because they carry 12 guns and are faster in shallow water and sailing against the wind. It seems that smaller boats are better for pirating and sinking ships if you have the patience to do so, but watch out for a 40 gun broadside on your bow cause they hurt like hell ! Overall this game is a classic Sid game that I will be playing for a long time to come.

zoomy942
12-17-04, 06:49 PM
Royal Sloop's rock ! I been trying to get a Mail Runner because they carry 12 guns and are faster in shallow water and sailing against the wind. It seems that smaller boats are better for pirating and sinking ships if you have the patience to do so, but watch out for a 40 gun broadside on your bow cause they hurt like hell ! Overall this game is a classic Sid game that I will be playing for a long time to come.

i agree.... this game rocks! and i use the royal sloop always. i had a Brigatine for a while, but then i realized that the royal sloop holds the same amount of everything, but it is faster. i am really trying to find a Ship of the Line though. i haold 48 or 52 guns and 450 men! i havent found it yet though