PDA

View Full Version : PSU woes!

Head_slinger
11-23-04, 05:11 PM
Hi, Im having some stability problems with my machine. I think it could be the power supply but not sure. Im running a Antec Truepower 430w.

Here is a list of stuff it is driving.

Athlon64 3500+
3 Hard Drives
1 DVD-ROM
1 DVD-RW
6800GT

Is it sufficient to run all these components?

Thanks.

BTW the problems i can experiencing are random reboots, usually during gaming.

bkswaney
11-23-04, 09:19 PM
Yes it should be fine unless it has a problem.

Have you looked at the voltage?

jAkUp
11-24-04, 12:58 AM
Try raising the voltage on the memory a tad... undervolted memory can easily cause reboots... especially if you are running aggressive timings (CL2)

Bill The Cat
11-24-04, 01:38 AM
Or if that doesn't work, the CPU. The first thing I do when things start rebooting, is to run my BIOS in fail-safe mode before trying other options.

Warden13
11-24-04, 07:07 AM
What motherboard are you using? The Abit AV8 motherboards have known issues with Antec power supplies and are absolutely not compatible at this point.

Warden

saturnotaku
11-24-04, 07:50 AM
What motherboard are you using? The Abit AV8 motherboards have known issues with Antec power supplies and are absolutely not compatible at this point.

Warden

If you check his signature, you'll see he has an Asus A8V.

To the original poster, that power supply should be enough. Though it seems like more and more people are having problems with the particular power supply in question. I've always recommended Antec power supplies, but now I'm becoming increasingly leary of them.

Head_slinger
11-24-04, 06:06 PM
Hmm, this is confusing me :)

My 12v runs at 11.37 which seems a little low although im not familiar with the acceptable threshold for it.

Dodga UK
11-25-04, 11:19 AM
Power supply to most components operates within a 5% threshold which would mean that at 12v any voltage between 11.4 & 12.6 volts is within tolerable limits.

However this becomes irrelavant went we start talking about ampage becaue 1 voltage can carry a whole range of ampage. I would say that your mobo is basically operating on it's lower most operating threshold and every now and then dips below it and therefore crashes.

Beardy boffin hos now left the room!

Head_slinger
11-25-04, 02:15 PM
Thanks Dodga, im pretty sure it is the PSU. Im gonna try to disconnect every no nesssential device to see if the 12 rail goes up.

Could this be a defect with the PSU?

Dodga UK
11-26-04, 03:32 AM
almost definately yes... Problem being is that a deffective PSU can also "spike" causing surging which can damage other components, your RAM is esspecially sensitive. my advice is get another psu to test with... your old 300-350 should do the job!

Head_slinger
11-26-04, 12:06 PM
ok sweet, ill give it a go.