PDA

View Full Version : HL2 3D errors...

Doug_S
11-23-04, 10:20 PM
My 6600 GT AGP is doing some wacky stuff in HL2. I've attached two screen grabs (adjusted in Pshop to make them move visible) showing the problem in action.

The environment keeps going in and out of this mode. I've seen this happen in the past with certain games and graphics cards and I know it requires a tweak to the driver config but for the life of me I can't remember what. If anyone has a solution, TIA...

anzak
11-23-04, 10:33 PM
It looks like graphical artifacts to me. I know its not out of date drivers because the 6600GT requires the latest drivers. I would return the card ASAP.

XP_GUN
11-23-04, 10:48 PM
I got that with vice city and fixed it with the latest drivers, so try the latest beta drivers.

Reliant
11-24-04, 05:56 AM
try disabling fast writes.

Chippy
11-24-04, 06:56 AM
Are you running your card at stock speeds when this happens? Just to be clear, these are classical overclocking-too-far artefacts, so if you are overclocking, the first thing to do is to try it at stock speeds and see if the problem goes away.

If this occurs at stock speeds, then this could be either bad drivers or a borked card. What drivers are you using?

If your drivers are reasonably up-to-date, I would say the card is borked. I know of no recent drivers that will do that. Before you return the card, I would uninstall your current drivers, run driver cleaner and reinstall latest drivers, just to be certain. If the problem still occurs, then the card is borked.

You could try to fix it by fiddling around with AGP voltages and disabling fast writes and all sorts of other courses of action. But you should not have to do that: if you run the card at stock speed and use latest drivers then it should work, period.

Chip

Doug_S
11-24-04, 11:19 AM
I'm not overclocking. The drivers are not the latest but close. I can't have the latest and still disable Fastwrites at the moment.

Right now I don't trust the way the card is running in this motherboard, which is NForce1 and AGP4x and I had to disable Fastwrites to get Windows to become stable. I'm replacing the motherboard tomorrow hopefully so I want to reserve judgement on the card until I get the NForce2 baord and AGP 8x bus intsalled.

I hope it's not the card. One of the reasons I hate doing online purchases is the returns hassle...

Chippy
11-24-04, 11:51 AM
I'm not overclocking. The drivers are not the latest but close. I can't have the latest and still disable Fastwrites at the moment.

Right now I don't trust the way the card is running in this motherboard, which is NForce1 and AGP4x and I had to disable Fastwrites to get Windows to become stable. I'm replacing the motherboard tomorrow hopefully so I want to reserve judgement on the card until I get the NForce2 baord and AGP 8x bus intsalled.

I hope it's not the card. One of the reasons I hate doing online purchases is the returns hassle...

Given that you are not overclocking and you have recent drivers, I would say the prognosis is not good. On the other hand, I didn't realise you had such an old motherboard (sorry, but nforce1 is pretty long in the tooth now). So its quite conceivable that the aging nforce1 chipset has something to do with it. See how you get on with the nforce2 board. Good luck.

Chip

Doug_S
11-25-04, 09:41 PM
It was the motherboard. I dropped in an ABIT NF7-S and HL2 is running fine. Doom3 did a full lockup under the ASUS Nforce 1 board.

Toorisky
11-27-04, 12:03 AM
This is the first time in 4 days of searching that Ive found someone with the same problem as me.

Im also getting these glitches and would appricate any help in curing them. Ive found the only way for me to stop it is to use the 61.77 drivers, anything else causes glitches.

However I also have a problem with COD locking up when I exit or try to alter my settings........it just freezes.

Ive got a 6800nu on a via kt600 (I think) with 1GB of RAM and a Barton 2500+ clocked at 3200+.

Anybody got any ideas........other than buying a new mobo?

Thanks in advance

Toorisky
11-27-04, 10:52 AM
Anyone?

Lotto
11-27-04, 02:04 PM
Anyone?

I'm running HL2 with the 66.93 drivers and everything works like a champ. I also have fast writes enabled.

I'm not overclocking at all.

Toorisky
11-28-04, 05:34 AM
So is it my card, my motherboard, or just general stupidity on my part?

Aurvandil
11-28-04, 12:12 PM
Same exact problems here, this happened with Far Cry when I got it and I updated to the 65.73 drivers and everything worked fine. Now with Half Life 2 it is happening again, only much worse. I am running a GeForce 6800 (standard) From Chaintech and I am running in HL at the recommended levels. Any help would be appreciated. My specs are listed below:

P4 3 Ghz processor
1024 MB DDR400
Chaintech Apogee 6800
Audigy 2 ZS Pro
Windows XP SP 2
Mach Speed X-Caliber PT800DBP Skt 478 Motherboard

Forceware 65.73 WHQL drivers
Running stock speeds

Toorisky
11-28-04, 01:01 PM
I,ve changed to the 65.73 drivers and they have fixed my D3D problems in general as well as the OpenGL crash.

I can only run HL2 in 10x7 though.......anything else and I get texture corruption.

Have you tried dropping textures to medium at 10x7.........it works for me

Aurvandil
11-28-04, 03:10 PM
I will try that, although you shouldnt have to...it should work. I may return my card, I think it is a problem with the card. i am going to be back and forth with Chaintech, I will let you know if I learn anything from them. Until then, I will try that solution. Thanks