PDA

View Full Version : FSB limited?

Pages : [1] 2

Ssexyman8404
11-24-04, 05:49 AM
well, first off my specs. AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 133mhz FSB, 1GB pc2700, PNY Verto geforce 6800 NU. Does anyone think my paltry front side bus speed might be limiting me? What kind of increase would I see from AMD athlon 64 3400+ , 1200mhz fsb, 2gb pc3200?

MUYA
11-24-04, 05:54 AM
yup, your CPU maybe limiting the potential of the GeForce 6800! A new gen/faster processor will definately benefit you!

Ssexyman8404
11-24-04, 06:05 AM
Well, its just that I seem to get such love fps for having a [almost] top of the line GPU.
I mean, 22fps in Doom3 timedemo1 at high quality, 1200\1040 and 4 times AA, all submenu options on. And I can't handle turning even a single visual effect off, just not acceptable ot my eyes lol. I've got trilinear and anisotropic sample optimizations on, and an over clock of 390\865, not to mention my 6th geometry engine is unlocked. The pixel pipelines really have no impact, so I tuned them off.

MUYA
11-24-04, 06:15 AM
then you are just like me! Get yerself a CPU upgrade mate and unlock the potential of that 6800!

A 90nm A64 3200+/3000+ would be good value..as it seems u can o/c them quite a bit. Rage has a 90nm A643000+, and he's overclocked them to 2.4GHz!!! on air!!!

Chippy
11-24-04, 06:25 AM
Rage has a 90nm A643000+, and he's overclocked them to 2.4GHz!!! on air!!!

That's not unusual. Mine (90nm A64 3200+) will do 2400MHz at stock volts with the crappy AMD stock heatsink and fan. I'm Prime95ing as we speak at 2450MHz at stock volts (1.4v) and my board undervolts!

Yesterday I ran Prime for a couple of hours at 9x267MHz, but I needed 1.45v for that. Still, it was nice to see 74,000 Aquamarks :-) and all the other high scores you might expect.

Chip

MUYA
11-24-04, 06:31 AM
Holy poop!

I gotta try o/c my FX53 but I heard they were bad o/c'ers!

well I will give it a go anyway sometime this weekend

saturnotaku
11-24-04, 07:48 AM
I gotta try o/c my FX53 but I heard they were bad o/c'ers!

They're not "bad" per-se, but the success of getting them to OC on insanely high FSB speeds isn't happening with the frequency at which other folks are running their 90 nm procs. Depending on how your memory and cooling are, you theoretically should be able to hit 2.5 GHz on a 250 FSB without too much trouble.

Though I'm not sure what the overclocking success rate is on the A8V, the K8N Neo2 is the reigning champ in this department.

MUYA
11-24-04, 07:50 AM
nah dude, ain't gonna go go the FSB way...coz my memory is quite well...not so good..Geil Value PC3200s! I am gonna try the multiplier way. I will try 2.6GHz ...on me noob Aquagate.

edit: good thing about this memory is that it has no issues with the FX53 :D

saturnotaku
11-24-04, 07:52 AM
nah dude, ain't gonna go go the FSB way...coz my memory is quite well...not so good..Geil Value PC3200s! I am gonna try the multiplier way. I will try 2.6GHz ...on me noob Aquagate.

Can you go up on the multipliers? I thought you could only lower them.

MUYA
11-24-04, 07:54 AM
hmm FX53's are supposed to multiplier unlocked....well I will find out one way or the other this weekend ;)

Chippy
11-24-04, 08:20 AM
hmm FX53's are supposed to multiplier unlocked....well I will find out one way or the other this weekend ;)

They ARE multiplier unlocked. Its one of the "fringe benefits" you get when you kindly donate $$$$$ to the AMD coffers.

Seriously, can you see any other justification for locking the higher multipliers on "cheap" chips, and unlocking them on "expensive" ones? Its like they don't want you to overclock, but if you pay them enough, they will let you off.

Chip

MUYA
11-24-04, 08:21 AM
They ARE multiplier unlocked. Its one of the "fringe benefits" you get when you kindly donate $$$$$ to the AMD coffers.

Seriously, can you see any other justification for locking the higher multipliers on "cheap" chips, and unlocking them on "expensive" ones? Its like they don't want you to overclock, but if you pay them enough, they will let you off.

Chip

Glad they will let me off :rolleyes:

NightFire
11-24-04, 08:52 AM
Let's just hope it doesn't melt under the heat...

MUYA
11-24-04, 08:53 AM
Why would it ? :p My trustworthy Aquagate is here to save the day!!!!!!...seeing how it has auto shutoff etc etc etc

saturnotaku
11-24-04, 09:46 AM

(welcome)

My highly FSB overclocked Athlon 64 runs 8-10 degrees cooler under stock cooling than my P4 3.4EE ever did even with an aftermarket HSF. Heat is simply not the issue with these procs than it was with the Athlon XP.

OCForums_Osirus
11-24-04, 09:55 AM
Well since no one mentioned this, if your having a FSB limit, its your ram. you only have PC2700. which is DDR266. Your not going to get insane overclocks on that ram.

Also, your not going to get a good overclocking with using 2gb ram. You dont even need that much unless your heavy into video encoding.

Best overclocking - 512mb (2 x 256mb)
Good overclocking - 1gb (2 x 512mb)
Worst overclocking - 2gb (1 x 1gb or 4 x 512mb)

Also, if your going to upgrade, I would go s939, either a 3000+ or 3200+ You can overclock each CPU and get the same performance as a 3500+ for close to have the price.

Chippy
11-24-04, 10:00 AM
(welcome)

My highly FSB overclocked Athlon 64 runs 8-10 degrees cooler under stock cooling than my P4 3.4EE ever did even with an aftermarket HSF. Heat is simply not the issue with these procs than it was with the Athlon XP.

What *does* it run at, if you don't mind me asking? And what do you use to measure it?

Everything I use (bios, core centre, everest, Sandra) all seem to give different answers! And I don't like the answers either - typically somewhere between 42 and 46 idle and 50 to 54 load. Too high for my liking. But then this *is* at 2450MHz and with the stock HS/fan.

Chip

MUYA
11-24-04, 07:05 PM
Can you go up on the multipliers? I thought you could only lower them.
Found out from Pain from whom I bought this FX53 off that you can go up on multipliers ;)

saturnotaku
11-24-04, 08:20 PM
What *does* it run at, if you don't mind me asking? And what do you use to measure it?

Typically 32-36 idle, 48-53 under load. My P4 idle temps were right about where yours are, but under load they were around the 58-60 mark. Right now I'm using the beta NVIDIA nTune software that was floating around the Web a while back and also SiSoft Sandra's temp reporting is pretty accurate. I don't trust MSI's own temp monitoring software because it would consistently report my case temperature as 19 degrees, which I know is not true because my room temp isn't nearly that low.

TacT
11-25-04, 09:30 AM

Let's scare monger the overclockers woooooooooooo ooooh! I'll bet you're scared now! Everything will die if you overclock and don't have a clue, fortunately some of us do :angel2:

Are you afraid to overclock or is that an attempt to scaremonger overclockers?

original poster - you are VERY fsb limited, time to upgrade ;)

mustrum
11-25-04, 09:58 AM

edit: good thing about this memory is that it has no issues with the FX53 :D
On an AMD 64 you have no FSB and it's absolutely no problem to let the RAM run async with the HTT. You can easily overclock over the HTT even with cheapo RAM.

About AMD 3000+'s: *Points to sig*

MUYA
11-25-04, 06:56 PM
On an AMD 64 you have no FSB and it's absolutely no problem to let the RAM run async with the HTT. You can easily overclock over the HTT even with cheapo RAM.

About AMD 3000+'s: *Points to sig*

I do know about the No fsb on K8s...but the fsb was actually meant to refer to a meaninglyful reference clock to multiply to get the final clock speed my friend. ;) It's just we are all used to saying fsbs etc than HTT. Sometimes even ppl who know can make mistakes while typing bud.

mustrum
11-26-04, 02:39 AM
I do know about the No fsb on K8s...but the fsb was actually meant to refer to a meaninglyful reference clock to multiply to get the final clock speed my friend. ;) It's just we are all used to saying fsbs etc than HTT. Sometimes even ppl who know can make mistakes while typing bud.
Sorry. Didn't want to sound likea smartass.
if your meant HTT with FSB you still can't be HTT limited. (Well theoretically. I hear some boards are a dud and can't reach 300 HTT stable.)
Just don't run the memory in sync with the HTT. Only a few very expensive TCCD chips will reach 290-300mhz. I hear the gain is more for braging rights than for real gamign performance anyways. (Running on a divider myself so i can't really tell.)

MUYA
11-26-04, 02:52 AM
I tried o/c ing my FX53 last night, I got 2.7 GHz on 1.65V ....but the aquagate couldb't hande it..would shut down

mustrum
11-26-04, 07:30 AM
I tried o/c ing my FX53 last night, I got 2.7 GHz on 1.65V ....but the aquagate couldb't hande it..would shut down
What's aquagate? Doesn't sound like a stable OC to me if it shuts down.
I'll attempt stable 2.7ghz as soon my powerstream arrives. I fear my current PSU is not up for the job atm. (Could be the CPU hitting a wall as well tho.)