PDA

View Full Version : Freezing XFX 6600 gt agp

Pages : [1] 2

microrecord
11-24-04, 10:12 PM
Hey all

I just got this card today, and was doing some benchmarking. It would continually freeze on every benchmark, usually under high stress. I followed some of the things that 6800 users who had my problem said; turned off fast write, set the agp to 8x, DLed riva tuner and tweaked that, installed the new drivers for my cpu (AMD64), and it still froze. Well, it made it through Aquamark 3 once, and I got 54,111. But it froze everytime after that, even on some games I installed.

So now I'm on a fresh install of XP pro, drivers that came with the card (66.81), and directx 9c. What should I do?

Thanks for the help.

sukrw
12-09-04, 10:44 AM
microrecord,

not sure if you now have your card working ok or if this has been answered before, but I too had exactly the same probs with the same card.

Reason for my freezing was that I had not plugged in the additional power supply to the card - I assumed (wrongly) that all I had to do was plug in the card to the AGP port and fire up the PC - but there is an additional 12v cable (like those on the HD) that needs plugging into the back of the card.

The manuals that came with my card made no mention to this - I found the answer on another forum.

Link to item:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Kr6dnUnQjslL3TXcRVn-pw%40adelphia.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dxfx%2B6600%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3 DKr6dnUnQjslL3TXcRVn-pw%2540adelphia.com%26rnum%3D6

Anyways, this fixed my card a dream - hope it does yours too....

Rowie

microrecord
12-09-04, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your reply to my long dead post.

Anyways, it seems that my 6600 GT has mellowed out. I had the power supply connected the whole time, but I think that it was more of a heat issue. I have a card cooler that is helping to cool the card, and I also used some BIOS tweaks to get the card stable. It crashes very rarely now, and I use 67.02 drivers.

Hopefully, if it is a heat issue, there will be some heatsink / fan redesign. I am also looking forward to new drivers, as I think that this card can preform better than it is at the moment.

Lfctony
12-09-04, 03:50 PM
You might want to try the 67.03s, they contain some fixes for the 6600 series on SIS chipsets, they might help you too.

ChickPea
12-09-04, 09:40 PM
What kind of PSU are you using? Could you provide specs?

A64s require a good PSU that provides at least 20 AMPs on the 12 Volt rail. This is the same rail that the G6600GT uses for the additional power it requires. If your PSU isn't strong enough, it could be the source of your issues.

sukrw
12-10-04, 04:30 AM
I am glad it is now more stable than before and now usable :)

Mine crashed once yesterday when playing a game - might be heat releated too, also my psu is only 300w so could do with getting a better one just in case.

I know what you mean about "could do better" - I changed from a ti 4200 over to this 6600 and the game I play - the FPS have hardly increased at all but then my CPU is being thrashed 100% in the game - it is only a AMD XP2000+ - so will uprade that too ...

Just checked and I am running the latest (proper) driver 66.93 - just downloading the beta 67.02 to see if it makes any difference ....

Hardware eh ! glad my reply to your post has created some other replies too ....

Ro

Superman07
12-15-04, 08:18 PM
Humm. I just received my XFX today and mine is crashing as well. I have not plugged in the extra power cable as the instruction did not say anything about it. Lacking much? I'm running the Neo Power (400w I believe), so that should not end up being a problem.

I'm also running the 66.93 drivers - skipped the 66.82 that came with the card.

I'll post back if I can figure a fix. Oh, riva tuner isn't configured in any way. Running at stock.

sukrw
12-16-04, 12:41 PM
You MUST plug in the extra power cable - without this the card gets power drain and just crashes all the time.

I know the manual does not state to plug in the extra power cable but I think this is just an oversight in the manual ...

Trust me ... it sorted my card as soon as the power cable was plugged in..

Ro

spacey
12-16-04, 02:03 PM
err, read your instructions again. i am quite sure they explicity say to plug in the power... you don't try and start a car with a dead battery right?

i have the xfx 6600 gt. the 66.93 drivers worked fine for me, and i'm running in a toasty little shuttle.

bazza1603
12-16-04, 03:53 PM
Hi,

I am having the same problems with a XFX 6600 GT AGP. I thought it might be the power supply as it was only 300W...didnot work!. Have ordered PC2700 1GB memory.......From your posts I dont think it will work....another £100 wasted!

I have tried all the latest drivers including the Demo 67.03. The card jerks more with Joint Ops Escalation than with my old FX5200. I cannot play the game unless card and game settings are on performance.

I have download 3D mark and I havenot managed to get it to complete a test yet without a lock up.

I dont have the knowledge to update my motherboard drivers.....

Pentium 4 2.66MHZ
PC 2100 DRR 512Mb - Soon to be PC2700 DRR 1GB
One useless 6600 GT AGP XFX card with power lead connected
Onboard AC97 sound
Motherboard Medion MD5000 (MSI 6701)
Xp Service Pack 2

Question is should I exchange it for a ATI 9800 PRO 256 MB, or hope they solve the problem?

Best regards

Barry

sukrw
12-17-04, 04:53 AM
Barry,

The spec of your PC is higher than mine - I currently have

300w PSU
AMD XP2000+ CPU
1GB RAM (DDR 2700)
XP SP2
Latest Beta drivers

The card "seems" to run fine with the power cable in ... the pc will crash on the odd occassion but nothing too bad. I can run through a complete 3DMark version 3.5 and score approx 4900 with no AA or AF - if AA is on then it is more like 3000. My CPU lets down my scores.

I mainly play LiveForSpeed (LFS) and I think the CPU causes most of my low scores/FPS results etc....

Not sure why sooo many of us are having sooo many probs with this card - it "should" be the dogs love spuds - but as more and more people post to this thread it seems like this card is a little "flaky" ... shame

Does yours run through a complete 3Dmark v 3.5 ?

Maybe it is just a driver issue and in time this will get resolved ... I do hope so .... I know just like all the other people with issues with hardware, it is such a kick in the jacobs to fit a nice new piece of kit to only find it falls flat on it's @ss ! very disapointing .... :(

Ro

bazza1603
12-17-04, 02:53 PM
Hi,

Just stuck one bank of PC2700 512Mb in. Crashes with Second added for some reason.

I have managed to run one Marks D. Have stuck my scores on attached picture.

Computer runs a lot better, but will still not run Joint Operations escalation above Performaance on game settings . Am I asking to much ??

Best regards

Baz

bazza1603
12-18-04, 05:16 AM
Hi,

Been Playing about with the following benchmarks

6600GT 1GB PC2700 - Memory crash. Wont complete score 3DMark
6600GT 512Mb PC2700 - Score 7293
6600GT 512 Mb PC2100 - Wont complete freezes.
FX5200 1Gb PC2700 - Score 1491
FX5200 512MB PC2700 - Score 1504
FX5200 512MB PC2100 - Score 1504

On Paper when I can get the test to run with the 6600Gt it walks all over my old card. But when I play games the FX5200 runs much better when its not playing video clips in the game. The FX5200 doesnot feel laggy when playing normal games compared to my 6600GT with settings on anything other than low settings lags like hell.

I am sending the card and the memory back and will wait until someone brings out a half decent system with a decent PCI E 6600 card in it.

Best regards

Baz

amenx
12-18-04, 08:01 AM
Sad to hear. I've got an XFX 6600gt/agp ordered that should be arriving any day now.

The thing thats got me, is that out of the more than a dozen reviews in all the most respectable on-line PC-zines, NONE have reported any issues with it. How come?

Superman07
12-18-04, 05:53 PM
Well I just got around to plugging the power cable in and HL2 does not seem to be crashing, but I have a streak across the screen now. I shut down the program and rebooted, and it still works.

Streak is not present in windows.

I also installed a pci slot fan right next to the card so it's sucking even more air out. Card is still at stock speeds.

I'll see if I can get a screen shot up here shortly.... =/

Superman07
12-18-04, 06:30 PM
oddly enough after i finished this post (after alt tabing out of hl2), I went back in and everything was fine.

perhaps just getting used to the new card?!...probably not though.

microrecord
12-19-04, 01:02 AM
Just wanted to update:

I have been running the card now for over 3 weeks, and the crashing has stopped completely. I don't know if it was an issue resolved in the 67.02 drivers, or if in fact my card had to "burn in". Though my brother had gotten the same card, about a week ago, and hasn't had a single problem. So there is hope for any of you who may be having troubles.

Specs for those who care:

AMD Clawhammer 3400+
DFI Lanparty nF3 mobo
1gb PC-3200
XFX 6600gt AGP
Samsung 120gb 7200 HD

Now I only wish that I had saved for a nice 6800... But I think this will hold me over till the summer time.

DZ187
12-22-04, 11:35 PM
My XFX 6600GT came in today, and its really hot at idle :( At first it was idling at 66C, now its down to 61C... but thats still nowhere near acceptable. I ran HL2 for about 30 minutes and I didnt seem to have any problems but my core temp was at 95C (!!??!) I tried running 3dmark 05, but it froze right as the second test loaded. The cooler on my card doesnt look the same as what I've seen in pictures, its chrome with a copper base. Also, I thought these cards were supposed to have 1.6ns ram... my chips are 2.0

saturnotaku
12-22-04, 11:37 PM
Also, I thought these cards were supposed to have 1.6ns ram... my chips are 2.0

Most every 6600 GT card comes w/2.0 ns RAM. The only ones that come w/1.6 are the Gainwards.

DZ187
12-23-04, 12:12 AM
I read somewhere that both gainward and XFX have 1.6ns

Killgore
12-23-04, 01:03 AM
Make sure the fan on the heatsink is running.

My XFX 6600 AGP runs at about 40C idle, sometimes down into 36C.

WeReWoLf
12-23-04, 01:08 AM
Hi,

Just stuck one bank of PC2700 512Mb in. Crashes with Second added for some reason.

I have managed to run one Marks D. Have stuck my scores on attached picture.

Computer runs a lot better, but will still not run Joint Operations escalation above Performaance on game settings . Am I asking to much ??

Best regards

Baz

I'm getting just under your performance with my 5900XT. I'd say that there is still something wrong with your card.

DZ187
12-23-04, 03:10 PM
Make sure the fan on the heatsink is running.

My XFX 6600 AGP runs at about 40C idle, sometimes down into 36C.

Its definately running (xmastong)

Vidmar
12-23-04, 05:08 PM
I purchased this card after reading many many reviews of the GF 6600GT series of cards, especially the XFX version of this card. Needless to say I am quite disappointed with what I received.

XFX has changed their production process for their 6600GT series of cards. No longer will you get 1.6ns memory, they are now including 2.0ns. Which by itself it not necessarily bad, but every review currently out there was done with the 1.6ns memory. You will not be able to get the same results that the reviewers have gotten in the past.

The worst part of the changes XFX made with this card was the heat sink and cooler. The cooler they are now shipping on the card is a small underpowered piece of crap, not the nVidia standard 6600GT cooler.

I removed the cooler, cleaned all surfaces with 100% Isopropyl Alcohol then re-installed it with Artic Silver 5. The result: the GPU runs at 55c even at IDLE with no overclocking. Under full load it hits 80c+. This cooler sucks.

I canít play Half-Life without choppiness as the card is throttling down because of excess heat. In 3DMark 2003, this card gets a lower score than my FX5950. Again because of heat related throttling.

If you buy this card plan on buying a third party cooler as well. Or make sure you get an older version of the card that has the standard nVidia heat sink and fan. That way you can get the 2.0ns memory as well.

DZ187
12-23-04, 06:49 PM
One more thing, it appears that my card doesnt have an ambient temp sensor... or maybe its just defective.