PDA

View Full Version : Power requirement for 512mb 6800 gpu?

Demanufakture
11-25-04, 06:05 AM
I was planning on waiting on upgrading my 5950 ultra until the 512mb 6800 comes out. However, I have a 360 watt power supply and I was wondering if anybody has any guess what the power requirement will be? I know that the 6800 gt would work beatifully in my system and has less of power requirement than my 5950 ultra. Maybe a 512mb 6800 gt with less power req. That would be great.

PS: Sorry if this has already been posted.

mustrum
11-25-04, 07:17 AM
I was planning on waiting on upgrading my 5950 ultra until the 512mb 6800 comes out. However, I have a 360 watt power supply and I was wondering if anybody has any guess what the power requirement will be? I know that the 6800 gt would work beatifully in my system and has less of power requirement than my 5950 ultra. Maybe a 512mb 6800 gt with less power req. That would be great.

PS: Sorry if this has already been posted.
I wouldn't say that a 6800GT would work well in your system. It "might" but most likely it wont. If you even think of overclocking go buy a new PSU. Seriously: Noone buys a 6800 GT and runs it at 350/1000 right? :lol2:
I just replaced my 550Watts PSU with 24Amps on the 12 Volt rail. OCZ powerstream 520 is on it's way. Those cards are extremely powerhungry and if you OC your CPU too you need the best PSU you can get.
That 360w PSU wont make you happy if you upgrade.

john19055
11-25-04, 08:31 AM
ON the power supply if you are planning on up gradeing in the future you should get a Quaility power supply that has high amps on the 12v rail,That is one part not to skimp on if you are going to be overclocking because it does makes a difference,I agree IMO the OCZ PowerStream power supplies are some of the best you can buy.

Demanufakture
11-25-04, 10:02 PM
I am not planning on upgrading my psu. No need to. Also, I am not planning on ever overclocking my psu or gpu. No need to. I know that 6800 ultra can and has run perfectly even on 350watt system. Also, I dont know why you think the 6800 gt wouldnt perform good in my system. I know that it is about double the speed of my card at default settings. It would run beautifully because all my games I currently have, with my 5950 ultra, run beautifully. Plus if I do get a 6800 gt I will get the bfg asylum geforce 6800 gt oc so it will be pre-overclocked. I guess though Ill just have to wait until the 512 mb 6800 comes out to find out what the recommended psu requirements are.

rohit
11-26-04, 12:11 AM
I am not planning on upgrading my psu. No need to. Also, I am not planning on ever overclocking my psu or gpu. No need to. I know that 6800 ultra can and has run perfectly even on 350watt system. Also, I dont know why you think the 6800 gt wouldnt perform good in my system. I know that it is about double the speed of my card at default settings. It would run beautifully because all my games I currently have, with my 5950 ultra, run beautifully. Plus if I do get a 6800 gt I will get the bfg asylum geforce 6800 gt oc so it will be pre-overclocked. I guess though Ill just have to wait until the 512 mb 6800 comes out to find out what the recommended psu requirements are.

U r so correct! Y do u need to overclok the GT. Jus to gain 5-10 fps more..doesnt seem korrect???
u jus sound like me... i never felt teh need to o/c'd my card, and nevr botherd for a better psu... everywher i read, its mentioned 350-400watts psu is enuf for the powrhungry card. :)

mustrum
11-26-04, 02:35 AM
The GT will perform like a champ. I meant that the GT might get your PSU to it's limits. If it runs (since it runs a 5950 it should) it will run fast.
Most people do OC their cards but if you wont you'll be fine most likely.