PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Visual Bug

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lfctony
11-25-04, 11:34 AM
Ok, this problem is observed in HL2 in all driver sets I've tested. The 67.02s, the 66.93s, the 66.32s and the 65.73s. The problem is the following. Certain areas, unless lit from a specific angle, will remain pitch black. It appears as a texture lighting problem and its as if the video card doesn't understand the game's request. I have also tested this on my X800 Pro and it doesn't happen. Here are some screenshots of the problem.

***Edit*** Major Update: This bug is eliminated when forcing DX8 mode. Lighting was working properly upon forcing the game into 8.1 through the command line. This is even worse as its an Nvidia DX9 issue. :(

Here's how the problem looks:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8869&stc=1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8871&stc=1

Here's how it should look. This is when lit from a totally different angle.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8872&stc=1

2 more shots, stairs from up and down.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8906&stc=1

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8907&stc=1

rewt
11-25-04, 12:30 PM
Same problem here. Perhaps this is the bug Valve was talking about that happened only on nvidia cards and drivers.

subbo
11-25-04, 02:19 PM
Same here with that bug. Going down some stairs is the most obvious where the stairs are pitch black.

Other bugs I've noticed are no depth fog in some distant lakes so the lake surface is the same color all the way (like when riding the buggy but not on the huge bridge level). And the depth fog banding as seen in Doom3 is also in HL2 :(

But I didnt see any weird lines or pixels. Some of the mysterious patterned pixels people claim to see are infact shiny rivets and bolts on the textures in darkness.

AthlonXP1800
11-25-04, 02:33 PM
Hmmm very strange bug, glad I dont have these issues on my card, my system is not overclocked.

Maybe it caused by bad memory or overclocked or probably with the latest steam patch updated yesterday.

Lfctony
11-25-04, 02:49 PM
It can't be from overclocking because I'm not overclocking. And also, this is always like that, no flashing textures or anything. The textures change if lit from another angle. If you notice, its not plain black, its a bit textured. Its the texture in its unlit form, but refuses to change when the flashlight is used. So its clearly a game/driver bug.

Lindy
11-25-04, 03:00 PM
Just finished the game, the whole time using the latest drivers off nzone, 67.02. I did not see any visual problems at all. I got a little stutter right after a level loaded if I tried to move right away. If I sat still for 10 seconds it was fine. I ran at 1280x1024(19inch LCD) with 4AA-8AF (in game settings), everything on high, reflect world.

My system.....

CPU: 3.2C
MOBO: Intel D875PBZ
Video: PNY 6800GT w/NV5
RAM: 1gig Crucial DDR400
Sound: Audigy 2

Nothing is overclocked

rewt
11-25-04, 03:42 PM
No its definitely not an overclocking or memory issue. It is a game/driver bug like Tony said. Just because you don't have the issue doesn't mean its not there. Its probably because you run the game with different (lower?) settings. Lindy, "Reflect world" is lower than "Reflect all". AthlonXP, a 5900 does not run the game in DX 9 mode anyway (unless you run specific commands in the launch options & Autoexec file like I did)

AthlonXP1800
11-25-04, 04:00 PM
No its definitely not an overclocking or memory issue. It is a game/driver bug like Tony said. Just because you don't have the issue doesn't mean its not there. Its probably because you run the game with different (lower?) settings. Lindy, "Reflect world" is lower than "Reflect all". AthlonXP, a 5900 does not run the game in DX 9 mode anyway (unless you run specific commands in the launch options & Autoexec file like I did)

Er actually I ran Half Life 2 with forced DirectX 9 mode and all options to the maxed, that included "Reflect all" and experienced no bug issues.

rewt
11-25-04, 04:08 PM
...experienced no bug issues.

well then good for u. i guess these thousands of people reporting various bugs are full of it ey? :rolleyes:

red_star
11-25-04, 04:25 PM
Honestly, I see nothing...

subbo
11-25-04, 05:23 PM
I wasnt at all surprised to see SOME graphical glitches in an ATI sponsored game, but I dont think doom3 had bugs on ATI cards so its a pretty lame tactic.

Oh yes and I forgot another bug: intro valve video runs EXTREMELY slow and without filtering (big pixels) at 1600x1200. As if a simple graphic fade-in/out even needed to be in video format sheesh.

Lfctony
11-25-04, 06:34 PM
Ok, since some of you people haven't noticed apparently, here's a save at a given spot. Walk straight and try to light the floor in front of you. Point the flashlight to the wall and notice that the floor is not lit at all. Then finally turn around and go back towards the planks and notice that the floor is lit normally.

http://www.upload4free.com/files/44448.zip

Vagrant Zero
11-25-04, 10:40 PM
Holy ****, I beat the game thinking that pitch black thing was NORMAL.

Well chalk another one in the Screw Valve category.

And now I'm playing Bloodlines any pretty much experiencing every single bug that was HL2. If Source is the wave of the future I'm moving back to the stone age.

Lindy
11-25-04, 11:07 PM
Ok, since some of you people haven't noticed apparently, here's a save at a given spot. Walk straight and try to light the floor in front of you. Point the flashlight to the wall and notice that the floor is not lit at all. Then finally turn around and go back towards the planks and notice that the floor is lit normally.

http://www.upload4free.com/files/44448.zip

Hey that is cool that you can send a save game point....makes sense....I see the darkness.....but if you neal down you see textures and what not, go over the wood bridge and then turn around............its shows even better.

I honestly dont see this as a bug......but hey to each his own. The game was very good............buts its done and I think CS:Source is super lame, it needs way more than an engine update to make it good. I play Raven Shield two years old almost now, and its a much better tactical shooter. CS:Source is too quakish for me.

In the end these problems on PC's (if you thinks its a problem) is why console games will eventually crush the PC game industry. Way to many varibles, in terms of hardware/software drivers/OS and what a user can do to it.

If HL2 comes out for the PS3 or Xbox2 and looks just as good......you get my point. One hardware platform to build to...........not thousands.

Lfctony
11-25-04, 11:19 PM
I believe its a bug since it does this at several other points in the game. Also, if you point your flashlight on the wall and the floor at the same time, you get a lit up wall and a pitch black floor, like in my picture. That doesn't make sense. Especially if you turn around and point to the wall from a different angle, ie facing the planks, then you get proper lighting. As long as you have the planks infront of you, you get proper lighting. Put the planks behind you and the floor isn't lit properly. This can't be normal and its not, my X800 Pro works properly.

Kahju
11-26-04, 02:20 AM
Got to admit I'm one of those people who has had zero problems with HL2... Just call me lucky I guess.

Running on P4 2.4c@3.0 + GW 6800U GS @450/1200 using 67.02

Ruined
11-26-04, 02:46 AM
tbh this source engine seems half baked
video glitches
stuttering glitches
memory crashing glitches
mouse glitches
etc

give me doom3 engine anytime which worked fine with everything :)

Lfctony
11-26-04, 03:31 AM
Got to admit I'm one of those people who has had zero problems with HL2... Just call me lucky I guess.

Running on P4 2.4c@3.0 + GW 6800U GS @450/1200 using 67.02

Did you try the saved game? I'm sure it's there but you haven't noticed.

Kahju
11-26-04, 09:00 AM
Yeah, you're right it is there. Well I guess them I'm just too busy killing those nasties to notice :) Anyway for me HL2 will surely be one time thru and never go back to it again.

Lfctony
11-26-04, 09:38 AM
Good, since everyone is getting it Nvidia must notice. I'll email them about it, make sure they're aware of the issue.

Anyone with that email support page Nvidia had? I can't seem to find it.

Lfctony
11-27-04, 04:47 AM
Here are 2 more shots. I have emailed nVidia about it as well.

The stairs from up and down.

Lfctony
11-27-04, 02:52 PM
Major Update: This bug is eliminated when forcing DX8 mode. Lighting was working properly upon forcing the game into 8.1 through the command line. This is even worse as its an Nvidia DX9 issue. :(

rewt
11-27-04, 03:15 PM
Ewww. Nice find, but theres no way I'm running HL2 on 3 year old DirectX methods just to get rid of this bug. And I'm sure you feel the same way. Someone needs to fix this, and fast!

Lfctony
11-27-04, 03:26 PM
Ewww. Nice find, but theres no way I'm running HL2 on 3 year old DirectX methods just to get rid of this bug. And I'm sure you feel the same way. Someone needs to fix this, and fast!

Agreed. Let's hope Nvidia noticed. :(

red_star
11-27-04, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry about you guys, but your life must be bad. If you pay attention to something i don't even see it, you should lock up your computers and do something else for fun. Seriously :retard: