PDA

View Full Version : How to easily flash your 6800 GT to an Ultra

devilhood
11-27-04, 05:58 PM
Ok this is my first hardware related guide, so be easy on me :)
I have pre-compiled a small archive consisting of everything you will need to overclock and flash your nVidia 6800 GT to an Ultra: http://www.devilhood.com/private/nvidiabiosutils.zip
Here is a short but straightforward guide on how to flash your GT card.
Right, so every GT model produced is actually based on the 6800 Ultra reference board, the only catch is that they either have a single molex connector and(or) have the clock-rates reduced to either 350/1000 or 370/1000 depending on the model.
That reads as xxx Core GPU and xxxx Memory.

Read this through carefully before attempting anything!
My card at the moment is a BFG 6800 GT OC.
I used nVFlash 4.42 at DOS using a bootable floppy for the flashing process.

To flash your card to a new BIOS:
NVFLASH -p -u -2 XXXXXX.ROM
(where x = the rom name)

for DOS purposes you could rename the ROM to something short like NVULTR01.ROM
To backup your current gfx card BIOS, all you need to type is NVFLASH -b MYBIOS.ROM

You will also need to prepare a RECOVER.BAT file that will reflash back to your original ROM:
NVFLASH -p -u -2 MYBIOS.ROM

This is just in-case everything goes wrong and you get a black screen, better to be safe than sorry!
If you don't know what a BAT file is, or see it as a pointless endeavor, just write down the above command on a piece of paper instead :wong:
nVFlash 4.42 is the only version that allows users to flash a card regardless of the Board ID. Meaning that you can safely flash from a GT to an Ultra or vice-versa.
When something does go wrong, don't panic, the only thing that could happen (unless you flash to a rediculously high clock rate or increase the voltage too high) the screen would simply go blank, so just as long as you have your computer booting the floppy, you can simply load up the BAT file you made earlier, or type the command itself and it will start the flash process. Remember that you will still need to confirm any flash attempts by typing 'YES' after it prompts you.
Before attempting to flash your BIOS however, make sure you uninstall any nVidia drivers on your system, Windows will load up as normal after flashing, it will redetect your card and then I recommend installing the 67.02 Forceware drivers.

nVFlash 4.42 : http://whitebunny.demon.nl/download?file=nvflash_4.42.zip
6800 Reference Ultra BIOS : http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=co...d&filecatid=303
I pasted a link to the nVidia reference Ultra BIOS as it is the most stable, a lot of people report of juttering and graphical pauses with other BIOS'
I'd personally recommend using one of the BIOS' included in the archive instead, which I manually edited to support 1.4v for both 2D and 3D modes.
I also provided a BFG 6800 Ultra BIOS which is clocked at 400/1100 instead of the higher 425/1100 standard.

If you're not using water cooling, I recommend getting hold of the NV Silencer 5 as it provides much better heat dissipation than most stock coolers, it's also very quiet. Modding the bottom area of your side-panel to take a YS Tech 80mm fan or a 120mm helps greatly too, or you can just tie one to the side of your gfx card using wire. This will reduce the ambient temperature around the card. The alternative and more expensive solution would be to go with water-cooling.
If you experience any graphical artifacts with your newly updated card, try adding an additional +0.1 volts to your AGP card on your motherboard BIOS settings, the only other suggestion would be that your PSU is no good.
If you experience complete lock-ups, garbled screen, flash back to your original BIOS as this is usually a tell-tale sign that your card cannot cope with the specified clock rates or running at 1.4v.
Anything from 430 Watts onwards by Antec, OCZ or Enermax will suffice, just as long as you have a minimum of 20-30 amps total power on the +12v rail.
Do not use Q-Tec PSU's or any PSU that is unbranded.
If you try and overclock with a poor PSU, you risk burning it out and damaging your hardware, I learnt this from personal experience ;)
Remember, whether the card is a GT or an Ultra, it will require a lot of juice!
I will not be held responsible for any damaged equipment as a result of reading this guide :retard:

Enjoy, and Good Luck!
Feel free to also visit my site www.devilhood.com for a taste of my music :nanahump:

Pawel.

hypertek
11-28-04, 03:04 AM
wow dude your like soooooooooooo oooooo oooooO
OOOooooOoooooo laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!

Muppet
11-28-04, 03:42 AM
wow dude your like soooooooooooo oooooo oooooO
OOOooooOoooooo laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!
Hay man be nice there`s a lot of typing in that message :angel2:

bkswaney
11-28-04, 03:56 AM
(repost)

Dude everyone around here knows it's NOT a good idea
to flash a GT to an Ultra.

It's MUCH better just to edit your own bios
to the voltage and clocks you want.

Just do a "Search" on it.
There are crap loads for post on this.

Mud
11-28-04, 07:35 AM
softmodding with rivatuner is safest.

MUYA
11-28-04, 07:37 AM
softmodding as in unlocking extra VS unit or PS quad block? from GT to ultra ? they are the same cores :D just clocked differntly. AFAIK you cannot volt mod the GT thru rivatuner which u might need to run at core speeds of ultras

devilhood
11-28-04, 10:45 AM
I simply wanted contribute something for the people that happen to browse through the forum and see it, not everyone uses search, and everyone explains things differently, just felt like posting my take on it.
I've flashed my GT to an Ultra and it's been working fine ever since.

Mud
11-28-04, 02:55 PM
softmodding as in unlocking extra VS unit or PS quad block? from GT to ultra ? they are the same cores :D just clocked differntly. AFAIK you cannot volt mod the GT thru rivatuner which u might need to run at core speeds of ultras

yeah, soz, as mine needed the unlocking to get up to ultra levels i brainfarted there. rivatuner still rocks ;)

bobmanfoo
11-28-04, 03:01 PM
actually i found that my bfg GT was more stable with the ultra bios than with a modded GT bios
(repost)

Dude everyone around here knows it's NOT a good idea
to flash a GT to an Ultra.

It's MUCH better just to edit your own bios
to the voltage and clocks you want.

Just do a "Search" on it.
There are crap loads for post on this.

Chippy
11-29-04, 05:01 AM
actually i found that my bfg GT was more stable with the ultra bios than with a modded GT bios

Yes, with some manufacturers (possibly all of them, I am not sure), the memory timings on the Ultra are more relaxed than they are on the GT. Yes, it runs 1100MHz default, but at looser timings than the 1000MHz default for the GT.

So flashing the Ultra bios - bizarrely - actually makes your card run a tiny bit slower. You can bench a GT at 400/1100 vs an Ultra at 400/1100 and the GT is usually a little bit faster.

Chip

Slammin
11-29-04, 08:56 AM
I lost over 1000 points with 3DMark05 after flashing my GT with an Ultra bios. I'm certain this was due to the relaxed ram timings too because I could clock my ram much higher with the Ultra bios but by the time I get the ram clocked high enough to get most of my performance back, things go south with stability, artifacts and crashes.

It is much better to volt mod your own bios than use an Ultra bios in your GT.

Faster
11-29-04, 11:08 AM
Yes I lost 200 Points in 3Dmarks03 and alittle bit in 05. However my Card seems more stable and you know that the Ultra Bios is built for the Chip, 1.4v and the Memory running at 1.1 and higher. So I think it is better to run the Ultra Bios. My Clocks can go stupidly high now.

It was really easy and now I have a 6800 Ultra. :)

devilhood
11-29-04, 05:19 PM
I'm lucky enough to be able to achieve 1200 on my mem, the core isn't so proud though, I'll be selling off my BFG in january and getting myself the Gainward 2400 "Goes Like Hell" GT :drooling: *g*