PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 6800GT/Ultra LOCALLY in Brevard County, FL

JWhipple
11-27-04, 06:45 PM
I don't really want to get into why, but I refuse to do mail order or online purchases.

I am seeking a 6800GT or Ultra LOCALLY in Brevard County.

I was able to pick up a 6800 in Best Buy and Circuit City, but neither of them make the cut when it comes to Joint Operations (I like to play with EVERYTHING on HIGH and at 1280x1024 - on a vanilla 6800 it just doesn't cut the mustard!)

I picked up the LAST BFG 6800GT at BestBuy and the damned thing was dead out of the box... I spoke with a guy at the store today and when I told him the story he said that the entire shipment they got of that card was the same way.

I found ONE place with ONE EVGA 6800GT on the shelf, but they are asking $450 :lame: - sorry, but that isn't acceptable to me!!!

CompUSA Is out of both the 6800nu and 6800GT, and I don't think they ever had the 6800 ultras in the store, just online.

Best Buy doesn't know when they will be getting more GTs in, and by what I was told at Circuit City, it will be only once the price goes down that they bring them into the stores here.

Any small local shops that anyone knows of in Brevard County that has them ON SHELF ? Without making me sell my house to pay for it?

Thanks in advance!

JWhipple

Lotto
11-27-04, 07:25 PM
I don't really want to get into why, but I refuse to do mail order or online purchases.

I am seeking a 6800GT or Ultra LOCALLY in Brevard County.

I was able to pick up a 6800 in Best Buy and Circuit City, but neither of them make the cut when it comes to Joint Operations (I like to play with EVERYTHING on HIGH and at 1280x1024 - on a vanilla 6800 it just doesn't cut the mustard!)

I picked up the LAST BFG 6800GT at BestBuy and the damned thing was dead out of the box... I spoke with a guy at the store today and when I told him the story he said that the entire shipment they got of that card was the same way.

I found ONE place with ONE EVGA 6800GT on the shelf, but they are asking $450 :lame: - sorry, but that isn't acceptable to me!!!

CompUSA Is out of both the 6800nu and 6800GT, and I don't think they ever had the 6800 ultras in the store, just online.

Best Buy doesn't know when they will be getting more GTs in, and by what I was told at Circuit City, it will be only once the price goes down that they bring them into the stores here.

Any small local shops that anyone knows of in Brevard County that has them ON SHELF ? Without making me sell my house to pay for it?

Thanks in advance!

JWhipple

First of all, if you aren't willing to pay at least $450 locally for a 6800GT then you may not find one for awhile. Buying online is really the only way to go because places like Best Buy and CompUSA jack up the prices so much it's ridiculous.

Now, I just bought a Leadtek 6800GT for $389 at www.outpost.com and payed $12 for them to overnight the card to me. The card I got is usually going for $450 at most places but I searched around and got a great deal.

I don't know why you are scared to buy items online but because of that type of thinking, you are going to pay more and jump through hoops to find a card. Cheers!

JWhipple
11-27-04, 07:46 PM
At Best Buy the BFG 6800GT that I picked up which was dead was only $399... CompUSA sells PNY for the same price.. The big stores aren't jacking the prices up too badly actually.

That $450 is just outragious for an EVGA card though... unless there is something extra special about this card that I haven't read about.

It's a long story, but the jist of it is that my roommates are thieves, and unless I take the week off work I take the risk of the package being delivered when I am not home, and the card disappearing...

This wouldnt be the first time this has happened, and I am not willing to have it happen again.

marsomega
11-27-04, 08:47 PM
Buying online is really the only way to go because places like Best Buy and CompUSA jack up the prices so much it's ridiculous.

As for CompUSA and Best Buy this statement is completely false. They are priced according both online and off. (PNY for Compusa and BFG for Best Buy.)
Going on assumptions without checking is :lame: when making such a comment.

For him to buy a 6800 GT at retail, Best Buy and CompUSA are his best bets. My CompUSA has the PNY 6800 GT's stocked up. Last time I checked they had 15 of them. Go to their website and look up the 6800 GT and use to the check store availability option. Use the 33155 area code, get the stores information and ask at your local CompUSA if they can have one sent over from another store. The Ultra I doubt you'll find there but it's worth a shot. 6800 GT on the other hand, they should have more then plenty of them.

einstein_314
11-27-04, 09:10 PM
It's a long story, but the jist of it is that my roommates are thieves, and unless I take the week off work I take the risk of the package being delivered when I am not home, and the card disappearing...

This wouldnt be the first time this has happened, and I am not willing to have it happen again.

Could you get it delivered to work? That would solve all your problems.

JWhipple
11-27-04, 09:18 PM
No-can-do with the delivery at work. All deliveries MUST come through shipping and receiving department, and our company has a STRICT policy against personal deliveries.. :(

I considered the possibility of delivering to a relative's house, but the closest relative is about 3 hours drive from here!

Don't really have any close friends that live anywhere close to me either that I could ship to..

As I said before though, the local stores are completely out of stock.. I even got desparate and looked into the availability of the :fanboy: X800 Pro and they are all out as well.

That same store I mentioned before that is charging $450 for the EVGA GT card also has some X800 Pros on the shelf, but they jacked the price up on those as well - granted, $425 isn't as bad as $450 but it's still like throwing money out the window.

Lotto
11-27-04, 10:07 PM
No-can-do with the delivery at work. All deliveries MUST come through shipping and receiving department, and our company has a STRICT policy against personal deliveries.. :(

I considered the possibility of delivering to a relative's house, but the closest relative is about 3 hours drive from here!

Don't really have any close friends that live anywhere close to me either that I could ship to..

As I said before though, the local stores are completely out of stock.. I even got desparate and looked into the availability of the :fanboy: X800 Pro and they are all out as well.

That same store I mentioned before that is charging $450 for the EVGA GT card also has some X800 Pros on the shelf, but they jacked the price up on those as well - granted, $425 isn't as bad as $450 but it's still like throwing money out the window.

Best Buy and CompUSA do jack the prices up on their products. Not all products but most of them. In fact, I have walked into 2 different Best Buys in my city and saw 2 different prices for 1 product. It's sad.

Anyways, if you do the overnight shipping option that I was telling you about in the post above, they will have it at your house by Noon. You can be there for that can't you?

P.S. If you have roommates that steal from you, wouldn't common sense dictate that you move out and get your own place?

Lotto
11-27-04, 10:11 PM
As for CompUSA and Best Buy this statement is completely false. They are priced according both online and off. (PNY for Compusa and BFG for Best Buy.)
Going on assumptions without checking is :lame: when making such a comment.

For him to buy a 6800 GT at retail, Best Buy and CompUSA are his best bets. My CompUSA has the PNY 6800 GT's stocked up. Last time I checked they had 15 of them. Go to their website and look up the 6800 GT and use to the check store availability option. Use the 33155 area code, get the stores information and ask at your local CompUSA if they can have one sent over from another store. The Ultra I doubt you'll find there but it's worth a shot. 6800 GT on the other hand, they should have more then plenty of them.

How do you come to the conclusion that buying retail is his best bet? I bought my card for $389 plus $12 for overnight shipping at www.outpost.com . Did I mention no tax? So add that up and then factor in the taxes he would have to pay buying it locally. Making comments without knowing what you are talking about is :lame:

Pantherman
11-27-04, 10:41 PM
I saw a bunch of PNY GeForce 6800 GTs today at a CompUSA in Deerfield Beach, Fl. They go for $399. That's about a 2 or 3 hour drive from Melbourne. You can also check the CompUSA in West Palm Beach which is under a 2 hour drive from Melbourne. If you want to drive and have the card today, that's what I suggest. You may also want to call the CompUSA in Deerfield before you come down. Look up the number online. You'll see that they DO have the cards.

JWhipple
11-28-04, 03:27 AM
P.S. If you have room mates that still from you, wouldn't common sense dictate that you move out and get your own place?

Actually, I own the place - they are renting the extra room from me. On each instance I have not been able to collect enough hard proof that they are the guilty ones...

They have until the end of January on their lease then they are out on the butts...