PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Bug compilation

Ruined
11-29-04, 06:05 AM
Figured instead of starting little threads, would be best to put all the HL2 bugs in one thread. Here is what I got, still in the present version:

GENERAL

1. The memory could not be read (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51549) random crashing. Does not appear to be specific to any hardware.

2. Random stuttering, sometimes pausing the game for 5-10 seconds while sound stutters. Does not appear to be specific to any hardware.

VIDEO

1. NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series: Screen corruption on game quit & restart with water shaders & some holo-screens
After playing Half Life 2, quitting, then restarting it, certain areas of levels where water is visible cause graphic corruption to be seen across the top of the screen, usually upper left of screen but sometimes along entire top of screen - looks like white snow. The corruption seems to be triggered by water primarily, though some holo-screens appear to trigger it as well. By changing resolutions, the corruption temporarily goes away most of the time, however when you hit another "trigger" spot (usually water), it will come back. The hovercraft level is affected very badly by this due to all the water. To prevent it from coming back, the best solution is to reboot, as when playing HL2 the first time after your computer starts, the bug never surfaces.
Bug affects all driver revisions currently available as of this posting.

2. NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series: Texture Lighting Errors
Some textures will not light properly and will remain pitch black unless lit from a specific angle. Example of Bug:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=482647&postcount=1
Bug affects all driver revisions currently available as of this posting.

3. ATI 9x00 and x800 Series: Rainbow Textures
Some textures will have a rainbow effect when Catalyst AI is enabled for performance increases. Example of bug:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1333355267&postcount=1
Bug affects all current driver revisions later than 4.9 when AI is enabled as of this posting.

4. All cards?: Subtle banding in water
Certain bodies of water have a subtle banding effect if you look for it. Since this bug would go unnoticed by most as it is hard to see and does not happen everywhere, it is unknown whether it is a general bug or affects specific hardware. Example of bug:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=483345&postcount=1

INPUT

1. LOGITECH - Major mouse speed slowdown both in menu and ingame when "Disable acceleration in games" option in MouseWare control panel is checked while acceleration is enabled for desktop use in current driverset MouseWare 9.79.1. These are the default driver settings, which work fine with all other games.

Lfctony
11-29-04, 08:43 AM
2. About the lighting bug. It is a DX9 issue, meaning the GeforceFX series suffers as well, when forced into DX9. Respectively, the Geforce 6 series doesn't suffer from it when forced into DX8/8.1 mode.

playa
12-02-04, 10:38 AM
I don't know if anyone else has seen this, or if it has been mentioned before, but I see a new graphical bug. It is in Entanglement in the room filled with water and the sparking generator/control panel. When I first enter the room on the upper landing, the sparks show through the walls and pipes when in fact they should be obscured at this point. I'm using 6800gt and 67.02

Lfctony
12-02-04, 10:52 AM
Yeah, seen it as well. I don't know why that is happening. Must be a game bug though.

K007
12-02-04, 05:10 PM
Flash Light on certain grounds show funny looking check boxes.

Dont think Doom3 had any graphical major problems...i finished the entire gam eon v1.0 without any problems, thought it was perfect ^_^

Lfctony
12-02-04, 05:19 PM
I think it falls in number 2. It's like you point the flashlight at the ceiling and you get a big black triangle in the middle of the lit area. I think it's the same.

fuzzmo
12-02-04, 06:51 PM
Dunno about stuttering per se, but I just cannot get anywhere with this game!

Basically after about 5 mins the game just locks up (with the stuttering sound) and I have to reboot! Have used 65.73, 67.02 and am now on 67.02 |Extreme G (looks great with these drivers!).

I do not have these problems in any other game (Doom III runs as smooth as a baby's backside, as does Far Cry).

Specs:
Shuttle SN85G4V2 (nForce3 150 Chipset)
Athlon 64 3400+
1GB PC3200 RAM
XFX Geforce 6800 GT
On board sound.
(All running stock).

I run everything at 1280 x 1024 with all settings to high. Temps at full gameplay are circa 77-78 degrees C (Which is the same with Doom III which I have played for hours without crashing). Idle temps are always around 60 Degrees C. Any ideas anybody?

Thanks in advance,

Fuzzmo.

mattkenn_4545
12-02-04, 07:23 PM
I had a problem In the water hazard level. There is a "bunker" with a hole in the front bars on the right side. When you go into it and look at the back wall the vegitation/moss stuff shows infront of the back bars. The vegitation should be a couple feet behind the bars instead it is deplayed over it.

crainger
12-02-04, 08:17 PM
Dunno about stuttering per se, but I just cannot get anywhere with this game!

Basically after about 5 mins the game just locks up (with the stuttering sound) and I have to reboot! Have used 65.73, 67.02 and am now on 67.02 |Extreme G (looks great with these drivers!).

I have almost the same problem, my game locksup with stuttering sound and requires a reboot. However its completely random for me. Can happen anywhere from 2 hours to 5 mins into the game. Happens in Bloodlines too.

All this started when I installed the 67.02 drivers, so I'm gonna try the Officials again, even though they are missing the Negative LOD clamp and overlay problems.

Are you still getting lockuos with the Extreme G Drivers??

fuzzmo
12-03-04, 08:18 AM
Yes I am. I thought they would solve it a bit but they don't I am inclined to think that they may not be a driver problem per se. It happens whichever driver I use and always exactly the same behaviour.

One thing I would say about the extreme G drivers is that they definitely give a performance boost AND the graphics look superb with those set of drivers.

I know there are other people having the same problem (including ATI users). Same thing happened with vanilla Far Cry but after the 1.1 patch it all went away plus Doom III has NEVER crashed on me in spite of using the highest settings that I could.

I am inclined to think that it is down to Half Life 2...