PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800 Defect @ COMPUSA Black Friday heads up

Ruined
11-29-04, 06:31 AM
Unfortunately it seems many of the $199 PNY 6800nu cards that COMPUSA had on sale may have come broken in the box due to rough handling and/or manufacturing defect.

Some are missing the capacitor circled in this picture:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026918347&postcount=36

So if you took advantage of this deal, check the backside of your card to make sure it has the circled cap. If it doesn't, exchange it for a new card.

wonder squirrel
11-29-04, 06:37 AM
I got one of these cards at compusa, haven't checked to see if the capaitor is there or not. Any idea if these would work without it, or are they just DOA?

Ruined
11-29-04, 06:38 AM
I got one of these cards at compusa, haven't checked to see if the capaitor is there or not. Any idea if these would work without it, or are they just DOA?

They will work without it, sometimes they come DOA, sometimes they have major artifacting, sometimes minor glitches/instability, sometimes they appear to work okay. But it's not okay to be missing that cap :)

In other words, open up your case and check, and if it don't have it, return it. Should be easy to see as its on the backside of the card which will be facing up.

ChrisRay
11-29-04, 06:58 AM
I would like to know what this capacitor does before jumping to conclusions.

*edit* Just compared my 6800GT to my 6800NU, And the 6800NU doesn have it . It ran fine forever, Until its fan failure. My PNY 6800GT doesnt have the same PCB so it wasnt really a possible compare. I read that entire thread and most seemed to think theres were running fine. The "Do not return this card to Reseller" is a fail safe thing. Places like Comp USA are reknown for reselling merchendise thats been returned. ((I know have had bad experiences with them))

Ruined please post the whole thread your linking too. So people can see the whole picture.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377

wonder squirrel
11-29-04, 07:20 AM
Any chance this capacitor issue could be something to do with unlocking the extra pipes? I get VERY minor artifacting (small horizontal lines in random places, nothing bad, but enough I turned the pipes off) with the extra pipes enabled using Rivatuner (I turned down the overclock on both core and mem after unlocking, with same results).

Ruined
11-29-04, 11:25 AM
I would like to know what this capacitor does before jumping to conclusions.

*edit* Just compared my 6800GT to my 6800NU, And the 6800NU doesn have it . It ran fine forever, Until its fan failure. My PNY 6800GT doesnt have the same PCB so it wasnt really a possible compare. I read that entire thread and most seemed to think theres were running fine. The "Do not return this card to Reseller" is a fail safe thing. Places like Comp USA are reknown for reselling merchendise thats been returned. ((I know have had bad experiences with them))

Ruined please post the whole thread your linking too. So people can see the whole picture.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377

Considering many found the said capacitor broken off and sitting loose in the box when they received their 6800nu, and the fact that pictures of 6800nu using those size caps on the web all have two of them (look on Newegg, their backside pics of the PNY, Leadtek, XFX, Albatron, etc) - I think its safe to say it should be on the board.

One of my friends bought the card during the sale and it came with the capacitor off, he returned it for another of the same model card and the second one had the capacitor intact.

I've been following the story for a couple of days now. HardOCP has already reported it as news on their main page, and after seeing multiple people get cards with capacitors off or sitting loose in the box on multiple forums, I thought it would be a good idea to warn those who purchased the card. Knowing that I wouldn't call it "jumping to conclusions" to report that you may have received a broken card.

Ruined
11-29-04, 11:36 AM
Any chance this capacitor issue could be something to do with unlocking the extra pipes? I get VERY minor artifacting (small horizontal lines in random places, nothing bad, but enough I turned the pipes off) with the extra pipes enabled using Rivatuner (I turned down the overclock on both core and mem after unlocking, with same results).

Some believe the capacitor is related to the power circuitry of the board. So if that were the case, yes it could be related to whether pipe unlocking works. However I would not count on it, because the chances of getting a 6800nu with 16 pipes in general are small.

wonder squirrel
11-29-04, 11:41 AM
I can't really complain about the purchase at the moment, so if it seems like its intact, I think I'll be a happy camper.
Strange things though with this card, my 3dmarko3 score is roughly double that of my 9700np, but 3dmarko1 is just about the same. seems strange to me

Ruined
11-29-04, 11:43 AM
I can't really complain about the purchase at the moment, so if it seems like its intact, I think I'll be a happy camper.
Strange things though with this card, my 3dmarko3 score is roughly double that of my 9700np, but 3dmarko1 is just about the same. seems strange to me

Thats normal, 3dmark01 is CPU limited. Did your card have the cap or not?

wonder squirrel
11-29-04, 01:38 PM
I don't know, been at work all day, I'll check it this evenning.
Last time I ran 01 I was running the 9700np with a 2.53Ghz P4, now I'm running the 6800 with a 2.8C P4 so that doesn't seem right..Maybe driver revisions or somehting? Anyways, I'll have a look at the cap in about an hour or so and report back.

wonder squirrel
11-29-04, 03:29 PM
My card does have a capacitor, I repeat, my card does have a capacitor. You can all go home and rest now.

ChrisRay
11-29-04, 04:10 PM
Considering many found the said capacitor broken off and sitting loose in the box when they received their 6800nu, and the fact that pictures of 6800nu using those size caps on the web all have two of them (look on Newegg, their backside pics of the PNY, Leadtek, XFX, Albatron, etc) - I think its safe to say it should be on the board.

One of my friends bought the card during the sale and it came with the capacitor off, he returned it for another of the same model card and the second one had the capacitor intact.

I've been following the story for a couple of days now. HardOCP has already reported it as news on their main page, and after seeing multiple people get cards with capacitors off or sitting loose in the box on multiple forums, I thought it would be a good idea to warn those who purchased the card. Knowing that I wouldn't call it "jumping to conclusions" to report that you may have received a broken card.

Thats all fine and dandy. But I have read the entire thread. Assuming these cards were broken as you have "said". Then they were probably broken in shipment. I'd simply like you to post some more evidence along with your story. Not single posts with a picture of card. You say you have been following this story for a while across multiple forums. Please post links to those forums.

All I have seen is that one thread and the people who have been posting there have been rather happy with the results. ((With the exception of the first poster)). Again. if you have been following the story for a few days now. It probably wont be too hard for you post these multiple forums you brought the evidence from. It's nice that you're looking out for the users. But such posts like this without any without a bigger investigation could unjustly scare people away from a said product.

Chris