PDA

View Full Version : Help needed chosing a 6800GT

Pages : [1] 2

Salamandar
11-29-04, 11:33 AM
Hi all,
I am a regular visitor of NVnews (mag) but never used it forum, so this is my first post and I hope it won't be the last. :nanahump:

I'm going to buy a new VGA card and thank God I'm gonna through my ATI 9700 card which replaced my GF3.
While searching on online I found these 3 cards:

eVGA 256-A8-N344-AX (http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=256-A8-N344-AX) 399 $ From newegg
GigaByte GV-N68T256DH (http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N68T256DH.htm) 388 $ From Newegg
MSI NX6800GT-TD256 (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=610) 409 $ From Newegg

Now what I'm looking for is a card that runs cooler and overclocks better, so any other options are not as important as these.
So which one do you think is better for overclocking.

P.S. I have a P4 2.4 @ 3.1 GHz
Abit IS7-E Mobo
256 x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR433 CL 2 RAM
Chieftec 420 watt PSU
2 WDC 80GB HD
Maxtor 120GB DiamondMax 9 Plus
NEC 2500 DVD
Liteon CD-R/RW
Hercules 9700 VGA card ( yuk ) :bash:
And one more thing I used a BGF 6800GT for 10 days on this PC.

aAv7
11-29-04, 12:01 PM
Try google. Put a search in for all three, i'm sure all 3 types have been reviewed and show how high each can oc and how cool/warm each runs. Not sure if Gigabyte or MSI is the better card-but I can tell you the EVGA one wont oc as well as those other two. So I'd get either the MSI or Gigabyte. Cut evga out of the equation. Goodluck! :) And welcome to the forums...(as a member at least)

Salamandar
11-29-04, 12:26 PM
Thanks, I tired Google for reviews and I didnít find for MSI or Gigabyte 6800GT :lame:

jAkUp
11-29-04, 12:40 PM
Go with the MSI :) Those are usually good OC'rs

|JuiceZ|
11-29-04, 01:40 PM
Try using the shopping.com links at the top of our forum for the best deals on 6800gt cards :)

Salamandar
11-29-04, 04:32 PM
OK Any one here with the Gigabyte 6800GT card or the MSI NX6800GT ?
I need to know how cool they run and how far they overclock? :angel2:

Dazz
11-29-04, 04:40 PM
Well here is the Gigabyte card www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/151
The MSi card is harder to find sadly.

Faster
11-29-04, 04:41 PM
:)

NemesisChild
11-29-04, 04:46 PM
I can tell you from my own experience, stay away from the PNY if you plan to OC.
I've also heard that the MSI cards OC very well.

saturnotaku
11-29-04, 04:50 PM
I wish people would stop asking about which cards overclock the futhest. This ability is solely determined by the exact card that arrives at your doorstep. You may get a gem, you may not. There are absolutely no guarantees in this regard.

Salamandar
11-29-04, 05:01 PM
I wish people would stop asking about which cards overclock the futhest. This ability is solely determined by the exact card that arrives at your doorstep. You may get a gem, you may not. There are absolutely no guarantees in this regard.

That's a known thing but there is something called Potential with a brand to overclock better than other...like Gainward Golden Sample for xample :rolleyes:

Salamandar
11-29-04, 05:02 PM
Well here is the Gigabyte card www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/151
The MSi card is harder to find sadly.

Thanks for the link but I've already read that a time ago, also take notice that this is a gigabyte card with a ref. cooler not like the ones available these days.
The new gigabyte 6800Gt cards come with a heat pipe :nanahump:

kahloq
11-29-04, 06:40 PM
BFG has gone back to the reference design cooler so it will be as good or better then any of the other ones you listed. BFG generally uses the best quality parts unlike PNY.

saturnotaku
11-29-04, 06:47 PM
like Gainward Golden Sample for xample

Those cards are certified by Gainward to run at a specific speed that is over and above most reference designs. They are covered by Gainward's warranty. This is not true with any other brand except BFG. And if you're so hard up on overclocking potential, why not just buy the Gainward?

SH64
11-29-04, 08:40 PM
I'd recommend the MSI NX6800GT , if its uses MSI's copper cooler .

rohit
11-30-04, 02:43 AM
Both MSI & Gigabyte have that copper thing cooler...so wichever of them hav lower temps is the ideal card.
I'd suggest MSi if it still comes with the copper cooler ( they now sell GT's with regular aluminuim coolers..that are very ok) because i have the card..and it ran very cool at the lowest Fan Speed!
i never overcloked the card...so cant help u with its overcloking ability!
The Gigabyte Card too loox very good with that cooler. If u can jus confirm the temps on that card from somewher, ( ie.. if the card runs cooler..) then go for the gigabyte card..coz the company is reputed of making quality products..wich are a step ahead in performance.
Gigabyte or MSI... the descision is urs!

Salamandar
11-30-04, 05:30 AM
Those cards are certified by Gainward to run at a specific speed that is over and above most reference designs. They are covered by Gainward's warranty. This is not true with any other brand except BFG. And if you're so hard up on overclocking potential, why not just buy the Gainward?

Can you tell me where I can find Gainward 6800 GT in the USA, I heard that Gainward is walking away from the USA Market!

I used to have a Geforce 3 Ti200 golden sample from gainward And I could overclock it more than any of my friends with normal GF3 Ti 200.
Gainward has been alway my first choice when I chose an Nvidia chip, but right now I can't find any and even if I could the price would be over the moon. :fu:

Salamandar
11-30-04, 05:43 AM
OK newegg increased the price of the MSI to 412 (soapbox) this takes out the MSI from my List.
But good news on the way, the Leadtek is now available there @ 409 :nanahump: Going leadtek Baby :super:

SH64
11-30-04, 01:18 PM
OK newegg increased the price of the MSI to 412 (soapbox) this takes out the MSI from my List.

At first look i thought you said they overclocked it @412Mhz :eek: .. lol

mustrum
11-30-04, 01:40 PM
Don't talk about OC possibility! It's all BS. As long it's no OC approved carrd the chance is the same with all brands.
I'd go for the gigabyte since they come with a nice cooler and it's the cheapest.
I am not sure but the gigabyte cooler is 2 slot.The MSI and EVGA are a single slot solutions i think so you might take that into consideration.

You really can't go wrong with any of those cards.

Salamandar
11-30-04, 04:21 PM
Don't talk about OC possibility! It's all BS. As long it's no OC approved carrd the chance is the same with all brands.
I'd go for the gigabyte since they come with a nice cooler and it's the cheapest.
I am not sure but the gigabyte cooler is 2 slot.The MSI and EVGA are a single slot solutions i think so you might take that into consideration.

You really can't go wrong with any of those cards.

First of all , the bad news: Leadtek are out of stock now took me too much time to get my C. card.

Now for the single slot thingy......The ABIT IS7 boards has space between the PCI and the AGP so being a dual slot or a single slot is not a something to worry about.

NemesisChild
11-30-04, 05:39 PM
I just bought a BFG 6800GT OC at Best Buy (I was very lucky to find it in stock).
This card is awesome (and very high quality), I found it on-line for $399.
Also, BFG offers a lifetime warranty.

Here's the link:

http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=220349&ptr=prcgrab

Salamandar
11-30-04, 07:02 PM
I just bought a BFG 6800GT OC at Best Buy (I was very lucky to find it in stock).
This card is awesome (and very high quality), I found it on-line for $399.
Also, BFG offers a lifetime warranty.

Here's the link:

http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=220349&ptr=prcgrab

Cool man and thanks for the link, but the pic. on that web page state that it's the old BFG oc card with the ref. HSF
Does your card come with the Cupper dual fan HSF ? :)

NemesisChild
11-30-04, 07:42 PM
Salamandar, sorry I didn't notice at first that this was the older, reference BFG model. And yes, my BFG is the newer model, with the copper heat sinks (with copper cooling tube) and dual fans. I suggest doing a google search for this card. If I found it on the shelf at a Best Buy, you should be able to find it on-line somewhere.

Good luck......

TeaEtchSee
11-30-04, 09:04 PM
get the gigabyte...its the cheapest on your list :D

me, i got me the EVGA when it was $380 and NV5ed it for an extra 30..and this was when ppl were payin $450+ for a 6800GT