PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT cooling questions and problems...

psychogmv
11-29-04, 06:51 PM
Hi,
I disassembled my XFX 6800GT cooler to see what type of memory it had, and I think I messed with the thermal pad that was over one of the memory chips. Now that it is extremelly hot here where I live, I can´t play any games for more than 5 minutes without having crashes after major artifacting (green checkboarding and texture corruptions). I used Riva Tuner to measure the temperatures and when it crashes the temperature was 77C core and 53C ambient. I think it is a litle to high. If I open my case and put a fan blowing air right over the card it doesn´t crash, and the temperature is maxed at 75C core and 47C ambient. I think the problem is with the memory temperature, because if it was tthe core, it would throttles down.

I cannot find in any store the thermal pad to replace it, so my question is, can I use arctic silver 5 instead? I´m thinking in putting some on the core and remove the pads replacing it by the grease (arctic silver 5).
I don´t overclock, I run it at stock 350/1000, so I don´t want to by a NV5.

Thank you.

TeaEtchSee
11-29-04, 06:54 PM
you must have damaged something in the core when u opend it...

psychogmv
11-29-04, 07:00 PM
But I didn´t remove the core heatsink. That´s the problem. I handled it very carefully.

crainger
11-29-04, 07:37 PM
I would go ahead and use the Artic Silver, just don't overboard with it. If all goes well you should see some decent temps even without a NV5.

Good Luck

P.S. Where abouts are you?? I'm guessing Southern Hemisphere if its hot where you are at the moment... I'm on the North Coast of NSW Australia and we are having 42C days right now. Without air con my Reserator would have be suffering heat stroke for sure.

psychogmv
11-29-04, 07:45 PM
I would go ahead and use the Artic Silver, just don't overboard with it. If all goes well you should see some decent temps even without a NV5.

Good Luck

P.S. Where abouts are you?? I'm guessing Southern Hemisphere if its hot where you are at the moment... I'm on the North Coast of NSW Australia and we are having 42C days right now. Without air con my Reserator would have be suffering heat stroke for sure.

I´m in Brazil. Here it is over 30C inside my room. Too hot!!!!

psychogmv
12-02-04, 09:31 AM
I removed the thermal pad and put some Arctic Silver Acriliqué in it. Now it is good, without crashes anymore. I noticed that one of the thermal pads were dry, so that may be the reason of the artifacts. I also put some arctic silver 5 over the GPU.