PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 6800 Ultra (not CoolFX or GSample)

-FX-
11-30-04, 02:34 AM
Hello everyone :)

Due to stock shortages in my country (South Africa), I had to make a really quick decision when an opportunity arose for me to purchase a high end graphics card WITHOUT any knowledge of the product itself. I know its dumb, but if I had not snapped it up, somebody else would have.
It is a Gainward 6800 Ultra. Unfortunately it is NOT a CoolFX or a Golden Sample :( its just the run of the mill Ultra... :(

The thing is, I have NO experience with Gainward products, and I know very little about the 6800 Ultra from them.

Do others of you have this same "vanilla" version? If so, is it any good? Can it be overclocked? Any problems that I should be aware of? How is it's performance?

As you can see from all the questions above, I know JACK about this card and am really hoping that I have made the right decision. Any chit-chat about this card will be very much welcomed :)

Regards
FX

terry.diamond
11-30-04, 03:00 AM
upgrade to latest bios etc u should be fine
i have mine overclocked stable at 435/1200

Lfctony
11-30-04, 03:13 AM
Gainward are a good european card manufacturer. Initial 6800Us had bios problems though, Gainward also sent out some bad cards. Test out your card, if it gives you any trouble, it must have a problematic bios as well. But after so many months, I doubt it that the given card is one of the first out, thus the bios should be ok.

Idoru
11-30-04, 09:01 AM
You want at least the 5.40.02.10.15 BIOS - anything earlier is borked. I had major issues with my Gainward 6800U GS when I bought it (it was a very early, totally reference design version and BIOS was 02.05.10 I think), Gainward support team recommended flashing the BIOS, sure enough problems went away. nvFlash 4.42 was the utility I used, later versions don't always work so well...

evanevan
11-30-04, 03:26 PM
I had one of these in august ,it was totally reference with mermaid on the cooler etc.
It used to crash when i entered 3d mode and i noticed that one of the dvi outputs was missing a colour. I have now swapped this for another one but it seems gainward had got more time as it came with a copper cooler and red gainward logo. There is nothing wrong with these cards , they are probably identical to most ultras on sale.mine came clocked at 425/1100 but runs stable at 445/1200.
i love it!

-FX-
11-30-04, 11:52 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Mmmm so it seems the issue is with Bios then. Well I'm hoping that this wont apply in my case as the card is hopefully hot off the assembly line. I think its unlikely that one of the old stock problematic cards will still be around. Touch wood.

What type of benchmark scores are you guys getting with this card? :)

mustrum
12-01-04, 06:48 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Mmmm so it seems the issue is with Bios then. Well I'm hoping that this wont apply in my case as the card is hopefully hot off the assembly line. I think its unlikely that one of the old stock problematic cards will still be around. Touch wood.

What type of benchmark scores are you guys getting with this card? :)
I wouldn't worry about that. If you have to flash you wont loose warranty. It's an easy process that wont fail as longh you have no power down. Very unlikely you have that in the few seconds you flash.
You sure will enjoy the card.