PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT OC rules!!!

NemesisChild
11-30-04, 02:09 PM
I've had a PNY 6800GT for several weeks now and never really liked it. Call it fate or whatever, but I found one BFG 6800 OC on the shelf at a local Best Buy. Fortunately, I was within the 30 day return policy with the on-line store where I purchased my PNY and got a full refund.

This BFG 6800GT OC card is awesome. It has two copper heat vents, with a copper tube running between them for extra cooling. Also, this newer model has twin cooling fans that both glow with a neat looking blue light. The quality between this and the PNY is like night and day. The only thing that the BFG card is lacking (which was on the PNY) is the handling rail on top of the card. I'm really impressed with this 6800GT, two thumbs up to BFG. Btw, it comes with a lifetime warranty (vs. 3 yrs. with the PNY).

If anyone is interested, here's a good review of the BFG 6800GT:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3LDE=

JoKeRr
11-30-04, 02:14 PM
i always thought the twin-fan turboprop engines on that bfg 6800gt runs hotter and louder... hmm

xrotanimret
11-30-04, 02:19 PM
i always thought the twin-fan turboprop engines on that bfg 6800gt runs hotter and louder... hmm
The biggest problem is the poor application of the thermal compound.

NemesisChild
11-30-04, 03:04 PM
The biggest problem is the poor application of the thermal compound.

Yeah, I read about this and was a bit concerned. I haven't yet had a chance to "look under the hood" yet, but I'm hoping that they improved their QC procedures on the newer models. If not, no problem, I will re-apply it myself.

hypertek
11-30-04, 04:48 PM
if u get into flashing it.. 1.4v mod and ultra bios where no good for me, crashes.. howoever, the nvida 6800gt rev.2 bios works good, allowed me to oc a lil more.

fuzzbutt99
11-30-04, 04:58 PM
I've been lucky, or unlucky enough to have had the PNY 6800gt, BFG dual fan, and BFG single reference fan design. I thought the dual fan ran the hottest and loudest of the other two, but oc'ed better then the PNY. The BFG single fan design is my favorite and has lower temps and a quiter fan then the dual fan, its the one I kept. However, I would still opt for a dual fan BFG over the PNY if I had to make a choice.

Congrates on your purchase! Download the 67.02 drivers and set your digital vibrance to low and have fun!

NemesisChild
11-30-04, 05:27 PM
I've been lucky, or unlucky enough to have had the PNY 6800gt, BFG dual fan, and BFG single reference fan design. I thought the dual fan ran the hottest and loudest of the other two, but oc'ed better then the PNY. The BFG single fan design is my favorite and has lower temps and a quiter fan then the dual fan, its the one I kept. However, I would still opt for a dual fan BFG over the PNY if I had to make a choice.

Congrates on your purchase! Download the 67.02 drivers and set your digital vibrance to low and have fun!

So far, my dual fans are running as quiet as a church mouse. Other posts indicate that the BFG can be OC'ed beyond Ultra standard frequencies. I'm currently running at 400/1100 with no problems. I couldn't get the PNY above 390 with the core. And Riva Tuner wouldn't allow me to go higher than 1100 with the memory frequency. I'm running the 66.93 driver with no problems whatsoever. I've been considering switching to 67.02, but why fix the wheel if it ain't broken......thanks for the reply

devilhood
11-30-04, 06:55 PM
It seems that most recently people have been experience rather bad issues with the BFG range of GT OC cards, particularly because of poor voltage regulators and bad GPU's on the blue PCB models.
My card is a BFG GT OC too, the core cacks out at 385 at 1.3v even with the Gainward GT GS rev.1 BIOS. At 1.4v it does a rather spectacular nintendo crash randomly at 400 core, and if I take it up to 410 core things crash instantly. The memory OC's rather nicely though and have it running at 1170 currently.
I know several people with the same model that are experiencing the EXACT problem :retard:
This is what happens, a company mass-produces a product, cheaper components are used, the decision is made to keep bad GPU core's and then combine them with a package that is ironically labeled as OC.
Some people get lucky though hehe.
Gainward here I come!

saturnotaku
11-30-04, 07:17 PM
Big thread talking about having ordered/received a GeForce 6 series...use it (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33123)

Ironmanstl
11-30-04, 09:27 PM
My bfg6800gt oc stock 2 fan cooler didn't seem loud at all.
I only replaced it because the nv5 cools much better, and does it almost silently

nice looking stock sink tho, the led fans are a nice touch

StoNer
12-01-04, 04:01 AM
When i started hounding my friend cuz my RMA ended up bieng the original cooler, his reply was "OH YEA WELL MY 2x FAN IS LIMITED EDITION COLLECTORS CARD NOW!!!" lol owned

(snowlol)

Sovereignxp
12-01-04, 09:41 PM
I have the same BFG card as well, I dont have any problem with the cooler.

This card is great! I will only buy BFG now.

BFG in the house!!

bkswaney
12-01-04, 09:45 PM
So far, my dual fans are running as quiet as a church mouse. Other posts indicate that the BFG can be OC'ed beyond Ultra standard frequencies. I'm currently running at 400/1100 with no problems. I couldn't get the PNY above 390 with the core. And Riva Tuner wouldn't allow me to go higher than 1100 with the memory frequency. I'm running the 66.93 driver with no problems whatsoever. I've been considering switching to 67.02, but why fix the wheel if it ain't broken......thanks for the reply

400/1100 is the sweet spot for the GT's.
The best FPS/load trade off.
It's not worth 2 or 3 more FPS to overclock
it higher and risk frying it.
I only run mine higher when I benchmark.
For gaming 400/1150 is where mine runs all the time.
I love my BFG GT. It's a kick ass card. :D (snowlol)