View Full Version : Upgrade path
11-30-04, 04:03 PM
Just wondering, now youve got your shiny new video cards what were your previous cards and your thoughts on them
1) Onboard ATI Rage 128 (i think)- PLayed incoming ok, but generally awfull.
2) MSI Geforce TI4200 64mb- Truly a revelation for me .
3) Sapphire ATI Radeon 9700 non pro- Much loved but bought for doom3 and halflife 2 2years ago-and we all know what happened there. Faster than the 4200 but not kept that long
4) Gainward 6800 ultra 2600 -One of...sorry the sexiest piece of hardware i have ever owned- Makes me feel old though because i could afford it :lol2:
11-30-04, 04:16 PM
1. STB Velocity 128 4MB Vid AGP - Hated it. It came with my P2@266 and it ran some games ok, but it could not run opengl.
2. ATI Rage 128 32MB - Loved the card. It ran everything I threw at it back in those days and was the first 32MB card made.
3. Nvidia GForce 256 32MB - The first real taste of speed. Got it with our family's second computer a Dell P3 667 with RDRAM. Had the fastest or close to the fastest computer in my city for a few months.
4. Nvidia Gforce 4 MX 440 - Not much faster than my other but it came with the computer I got for Graduating.
5. ATI Radeon 9500 PRO - All I can say is wow. It's still a good card.
6. ATI Radeon 9700 PRO - Bought it so my brother could have the 9500 PRO. It was kind of a dissapointment as I was already used to the 9500PRO and just barely faster. Still have it and it gets 5000 in 3DMark03.
7. ATI Radeon 9600 PRO - Bought it while I sold my 9500 PRO and then sold right away to get 6800 GT.
8. Nvidia 6800 GT - Fastest jump ever. This is my favorite card and I love the nvidia drivers after using ATI for awhile.
9. Nvidia 6800 - Bought two for family comp and bro's comp and they are very nice. One has the 16 pipes and gets 9500 on 3DMark03.
All in all, I have been very happy with all of my cards except the velocity 128 and the MX400.
1: ATI Rage Xpert (or something like that) 8mb, came with a Dell P3 500.
hm, well, couldn't run HL at 640X480.. so yea... :(
2. 2 yrs later (after I got my first job at 17), Geforce 3 Ti500 (bought after the Geforce 4 hit the market, price was much better than Ti4200 64mb), played everything. CS at 1024X768 with 4xaa and 4xaf. Can use to play Farcry as well (not very good quality of course). btw, I upgraded the dell with 1.1Ghz 256kb Celeron, and another 128mb of ram.
3. Still saving up......college tuition sux big time :retard: Built my own P4 computer, with my good old Geforce 3.
11-30-04, 06:05 PM
1) Sierra Screamin' 3D - Rendition Verite V1000 chip. That thing was pretty cool back in the day.
2) Orchid Righteous 3D - 3DFX Voodoo 1. Paired this thing with my Rendition card for an awesome gaming machine once upon a time.
3) Matrox G400. Long time between upgrades here. Got this because the TNT2s were all backordered. Must say it was a good purchase though. Great IQ and pretty good speed to boot. Too bad Matrox went to ****.
4) ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder. The original All-In-Wonder Radeon, with what would later be known as the Radeon 7200 chip. This thing rocked too, plus having the built in TV-Tuner was great in small rooms in college so I didn't have to have a TV
5) ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. Got this one at a Black Friday sale a couple of years ago. Big upgrade from the AIW Radeon
6) GeForce 6800GT. I may still only be running a Pentium III class system, but I got this baby for the right price (free!), and I get to see some pretty games now. Even though I could only run Doom3 at 640x480 because the rest of my system was so slow :rolleyes:
Hmm lets see if my bad memory serves me well on remebering them :
1) A video card that i dont know what it is .
2) S3 Stealth
3) 3DFX Voodoo 2
4) 3DFX Voodoo 3 (3000 i guess)
5) ASUS GeForce 2 MX (32MB)
6) MSI GeForce 4 Ti4600
7) MSI GeForce FX5800NU
8) MSI GeForce FX5900U
9) ATi Radeon 9800Pro
10) ATi Radeon 9800XT
11) MSI GeForce FX5950
12) MSI Radeon X800Pro
13) MSI GeForce 6800GT
14) Sapphire Radeon X800Pro "Toxic"
Yep you guessed it .. i'm 100% video cards nerd :wong:
well true 3dcards, ie not them S3 virge wannabe 3D card.
1)Diamond zviper 330 :)
5)Elsa GeForce 2 Pro
6)Inno3D GeForce 4 Ti 4200
7)ATi 9700 Pro
8)Leadtek Winfast A400 Ultra TDH
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.