PDA

View Full Version : Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

|MaguS|
12-04-04, 08:42 PM
You know whats even better, Nvidia is having a drawing and giving a copy of WoW away! You would think they would be giving a copy of EQ2 away since they are in partnership... guess we know what that logo means now... jack crap...

ChrisRay
12-04-04, 09:03 PM
You know whats even better, Nvidia is having a drawing and giving a copy of WoW away! You would think they would be giving a copy of EQ2 away since they are in partnership... guess we know what that logo means now... jack crap...

WoW and EQ 2 are both in Nvidias TWIMP campaign.

Tyr-Sog
12-05-04, 07:29 PM
Well.......

I picked up a X800 XT today while Chrismas shopping. Haven't seen any retail since launch, happen to look over and catch a single one left in a display case so I snatched it. Knowing I'm going to be devoting a lot of my time to this particular game more then any other game I just want a nice experience.

I'll report back for those who are curious if it runs better on team reds side. If it don't, it goes back. (cheers)

Tyr-Sog
12-07-04, 06:13 AM
I'm sad to say the 6800gt is going up on the selling block. I have no paitence to wait for a fix and the difference between the X800XT and the 6800GT is night and day in THIS game.

mustrum
12-07-04, 08:52 AM
Shows once again that the program is "The way it'S meant to be payed" and not played.
Nvidia seems to give a you know what about performance. The just put a sticker on the box and that's it.
For a short while i regretted that i switched over from a x800. Fraps reporting 100+ FPS while i played HL2 (the ATI game) made me happy again though.
EQ2 is the game i play most atm but it's only one game and the bug will be fixed hopefully soon.

Tyr-Sog
12-07-04, 03:57 PM
Shows once again that the program is "The way it'S meant to be payed" and not played.
Nvidia seems to give a you know what about performance. The just put a sticker on the box and that's it.
For a short while i regretted that i switched over from a x800. Fraps reporting 100+ FPS while i played HL2 (the ATI game) made me happy again though.
EQ2 is the game i play most atm but it's only one game and the bug will be fixed hopefully soon.

Don't jump so fast like me. Now that I got a few hours in.... The X800Xt all be it faster(in that game) is buggy as hell in that game. The whole process was a nightmare from installing the drivers to trying to get the game run right with AA amongst other graphically errors. Talk about 4 years of ATI flashbacks that lead me here to team green. And the whole IQ controversity, please....

Needless to say the X800 is back at the store. The 6800GT is back in the system with a brand new NV5 silencer strapped to her back:D

Just going to be patient and weait for that fix.

nrdstrm
12-08-04, 01:23 AM
Wow...ChrisRay you are a legend. Your fix was posted at EQII.com in the "Technical Help" forum and it got stickied as a temporary solution. At Nvidia.Com forums, when the tech replied to the thread about EQII, he mentioned your fix as a temporary solution and said they are working on it. Good job man!
Nrdstrm

Nuvian
12-08-04, 09:07 AM
aye good job,to bad it didnt fix my problems,good thing it did help some ppl so...hopefully SOE or NV will come up with a fix to this.

Ghosthunter
12-09-04, 08:16 AM
This just started for me 2 nights ago..and had no issues with the game before that.

Running p4 2.8c, 1 GB ram, 6800 GT latest drivers..everything runs smooth except when I am in the tradeskill instance.

Happened to me twice last night, where literally I just froze, my chat froze, and I can barely move, I was able to move but it took 30 seconds to move one step.

I dont know if it is network lag, graphic lag.

I can eventually alt-tab but takes long time to respond..if I wait about 5-7 minutes then eveyrthing comes back to normal, and all the chat I missed I see scroll really fast in the chat window. It is like EQ2 is on pause then unpaused.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how to fix it?

Tigerj
12-09-04, 03:35 PM
This just started for me 2 nights ago..and had no issues with the game before that.

Running p4 2.8c, 1 GB ram, 6800 GT latest drivers..everything runs smooth except when I am in the tradeskill instance.

Happened to me twice last night, where literally I just froze, my chat froze, and I can barely move, I was able to move but it took 30 seconds to move one step.

I dont know if it is network lag, graphic lag.

I can eventually alt-tab but takes long time to respond..if I wait about 5-7 minutes then eveyrthing comes back to normal, and all the chat I missed I see scroll really fast in the chat window. It is like EQ2 is on pause then unpaused.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how to fix it?

This used to happen to me also, but seem to stop so far this week. Fo rme what was happening was my CPU was spiking to 100% and it would lag. Once it caught up, everything moved fast forward and my CPU usage for EQ drop to about 80%. It happen a lot in the Tradeskill area and outside at times. I have an AMD 2800+ Barton with 1.5GB of Ram also.

Tyr-Sog
12-09-04, 03:38 PM

ChrisRay
12-09-04, 04:07 PM
I had a terrible connection issue last night. I got dropped almost every 5 minutes. I hope its fixed now. Time to find out.

Blacklash
12-10-04, 01:23 AM
Some servers experience terrible latency due to not being able to handle the player load during peak play times. I left Antonia Bayle not too long after the game started because of the server latency during peak hours.

I have been just fine on Lucan D'Lere. Believe it or not I have found the game and my system to run better in general with a mere AGP aperture of 64mb. Certainly if you have a MSI Neo 2 PE motherboard and a 6800 graphics card of any stripe, turn off fast writes. It caused regular hitching and some times out right freezing in MMORPGs I played such as SWG, Lineage II and EQ II.(I turned it back on to try again for EQ II)

mustrum
12-10-04, 02:51 AM
Come over to faydark. Haven't seen an unexpected downtime yet.

Ghosthunter
12-10-04, 07:20 AM
well i think i resolved my problem, instead of doing my crafting in the wholesaler society, I went to my scholar society..only 3 people in there..no lag at all..no lockups

lmetza
12-10-04, 12:45 PM
Turn shadows right off, that did it for me, now i can run around in the city nice and smooth, i also wait about 10 seconds before i start to run around, lets the stuff load into memory.
A couple things that can really improve performance is set you page file to a separate partition and make it about 2-3 gigs in size (depending on your ram ammount) and then Offline Defrag that partition with PerfectDisk.
I have the game set to Very high, i followed the guide that was posted in the other thread. I'm playing with 2xAA and 2xAF as well, no BS.
But this game could use some optimization, cause I'm not spending 14.95 a month on a game that performs worse then Halflife 2 and Doom3. Also set your character resolution to High and LOD to High and leave normal textures on Maximum. Cause you don't really notice the characters quality that much.

My system isnt even as powerful as the guys with the AMD 64 chips. I only have a barton 2800+ and a7n8x with 768mb of pc2700 and a 6800nu, Im useing the 67.03 drivers.

Blacklash
12-11-04, 05:02 AM
Using what Chris suggested and setting shadows to min or average can reap a lot of FPS.

I know SWG shadows absolutely killed performance. EQ 2 seems to also have the same flaw with that.

It is an attractive game and not the most efficient one for sure.

Most of these woes, I think, are going to come down to bad virtual memory management over any specific graphics card or drivers. Time will tell.

Nuvian
12-12-04, 08:47 AM
whats the best drivers for EQ2?any 1 done some testing?

blackweb
12-12-04, 07:18 PM
Ok I recently upgraded from an X800 Pro to an XFX 6800 GT. As bad as the 6800 might be, the X800 pro is worse. The 6800 lags sometimes, the x800 pro lags all the time. It just cant handle running eq2 at higher than the default res. There are definite problems with the 6800 and eq2 but the x800 is not the solution. ATI got better performance by simply bypassing some of the new 3d features out there like Pixel Shader 3.0. The X800 does not support PS 3.0 and several other advanced 3D features that Nvidia does. Maybe that is good and maybe it isnt. I am not the expert here. SOE may be having a harder time optimizing for the 6800 because there is more to optimize. There are things you can see in eq2 with a 6800 than u cant see with a x800. Believe me, I have seen the game on both and it looks better on the 6800 but there is a price to be paid for this and we are paying it. I dont have these problems in PlanetSide but PS is a Directx 8 based 3D engine. eq2 is Dx9 based. I have not tried the X800 XT but from what i saw of the pro, I would wait. Lets see what driver and game fixes Nvidia and SOE can come up with.

Zolden
12-13-04, 05:05 PM
Wish I had saw this thread earlier before I posted something related to this in the 6 series card forums. =/

I noticed that the FX series actually does run the game smoother than the 6800 series. We have in our house 3 pretty good comps, the first a 3.0 ghz processor with a FX5900. I just got a 6800gt 256, and the third comp got a 6800 128 card. By far, the FX runs the game the smoothest when compared to all the pc's on the High Detail setting.

It is kind of crappy to have this be the case as my card theoretically should be alot more powerful than the FX. It was alot more in any case.

The weird thing is, it seems ALL games suffer from a 'load studder' on the 6800gt. When I'm playing anything, specifically World of Warcraft or HL2, entering a new area or loading a new area will sometimes bring about a studder of up to 4 seconds. But this happens ALOT in Everquest 2. On my pc I can actually run the game on the highest settings and get around high teens for FPS. The problem is when you start to run around or move at all you get those 4 second stops/studders, which really ruins playing the game.

It kind of seems at this point like I could have got a FX5900 instead and get better, stable performance out of that... for over 200 dollars less. ;(

Edit: Also, about this 'fix' that everyone has set in their minds... well I just don't have hopes up for it. I don't know if anyone has any prior SOE experience, but bugs still exist in EQLive from near launch. SOE is and has never been good about fixing bugs and delivering with promises, if they make any. But they'll keep pumping out expansion packs like there's no tomorrow.

All I'm saying is that you might never see an actual 'fix' for this... then again I am a sworn in pessimist, I have a membership card and everything.

-=DVS=-
12-13-04, 07:41 PM
Thats becouse FX card is not rendering all effects ,if you did your research you would know that FX line got very weak shader engine , in all new games it doesn't render eveything or defoults to lower shaders , Example HalfLife2 where it runs in DX8 path instead of DX9 .

I personaly don't have any stutters , i did have when i had Virtual Pageing on and my harddrive was heavly fragmented , running Defragmenter eliminated almoust all of it i had at time 1gig of ram , now i have 2 gigs without Virtual ram pageing on and no more stutter of any kind.

For HalfLife2 never had problems to begin with not intense game at all. Some people with some motherboards have problems when they got FastWrites on.

ngeier
12-15-04, 06:42 PM
Alright, I've read through all of the forums related to this and I'm very confused as to what to do now. I am trying to figure out whether to go K8N NEO2 board with a nice 6800 GT or to ditch it and go with the ATI XPRESS (or some PCIe chipset) and go ATI X800 XL. This 6800 shutter stuff scares me, but can someone give me some good advice? I really want to play EQ2 as well as I can, and there is nothing out there to support SLI for EQ2 either, so it's a single card solution at this point and it's come down to these two.

-Noah

-=DVS=-
12-15-04, 06:49 PM
Do a search someone with both cards said it runs worse on ATI cards.

mustrum
12-16-04, 04:30 AM
Do a search someone with both cards said it runs worse on ATI cards.
Many MANY reports on official forums.
ATI 9800 PRO in city 14 fps stable no hicups.
6800 ULTRA: 16 fps with pauses that last several seconds + the usual stuttering.

This is no harddrive swapping issue. I get the same with my ULTRA. Sometime the image freezes for up to 5 seconds. No throttling happening. This happenes at any clockrate.

ATI cards DO run better than nvidia cards.

Tyr-Sog
12-16-04, 04:57 AM
Alright, I've read through all of the forums related to this and I'm very confused as to what to do now. I am trying to figure out whether to go K8N NEO2 board with a nice 6800 GT or to ditch it and go with the ATI XPRESS (or some PCIe chipset) and go ATI X800 XL. This 6800 shutter stuff scares me, but can someone give me some good advice? I really want to play EQ2 as well as I can, and there is nothing out there to support SLI for EQ2 either, so it's a single card solution at this point and it's come down to these two.

-Noah

If you're starting from scratch and plan on dedicating a lot of time to this game, I diffently would go the PCIe route with a X800XT.

I've used both the 6800gt(had orginally and kept) and the X800XT and the ATI card ran the game better. Granted nothing spectacular(still gets its ass kicked with shadows, flora, group battling, and higher settings) but nonetheless beter then the GT.

Not to mention the PCIe is a lettle more future proof.