PDA

View Full Version : Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Ghosthunter
01-13-05, 10:57 AM
Excuse me for finding that a bit hard to believe!

Very high is meant for video cards with 512 Mb or more, so that you can play without any issues even in QH i think is a bit unlikely, you must have turned something other than the water down!

I do get performance drops here and there especially in the city when lots of people on the screen...but really not that bad at all..tolerable..and great for the graphics.

Does it run smooth as butter? Like Doom3..no...but it is a MMORPG...a lot more going on there...most of the perforamnce drops i get is due to only having 1 GB ram and swapping to hard drive...

all acceptable for me...the graphics are just so stunning for me that I can deal with drops here and there in city since i am not really fighitng there anyway.

everyone has different tolerances for performance...but to me none of these are issues...just limitations of my hardware..

Ghosthunter
01-13-05, 01:05 PM
well i made a mistake after looking at the eq2 article here..i realized I did tune it as well...I turned off flora and shadows. Main reason for flora..so easier to see nodes when harvesting...and shadows...was a huge performance hit, and IMO shadows not greatest in game worth having the hit for.

either way i am still extrmeely happy with performance and image quality is still the best for a MMORPG.

Sorrow
01-13-05, 01:14 PM
I do get performance drops here and there especially in the city when lots of people on the screen...but really not that bad at all..tolerable..and great for the graphics.

Does it run smooth as butter? Like Doom3..no...but it is a MMORPG...a lot more going on there...most of the perforamnce drops i get is due to only having 1 GB ram and swapping to hard drive...

all acceptable for me...the graphics are just so stunning for me that I can deal with drops here and there in city since i am not really fighitng there anyway.

everyone has different tolerances for performance...but to me none of these are issues...just limitations of my hardware..

It IS an issue though Ghosthunter. Before November 12th's patch, the 6800s were running fine. Something in that patch f'ed up the 68x cards bad. You can't say that that's the performance you can expect from such a demanding game because two year Mr. Radeon 9700 Pro is running at high quality with the same FPS that 6800s are in high performance. So it's not because my system isn't strong enough, it's because the programmers either added or took something out that messed up the cards ability to run the game the way it should on such a new card

|MaguS|
01-13-05, 01:22 PM
I dout a 9700pro in HQ would run faster then a 6800 in HP... Actually I know for a fact since I beta'd with a 9800pro and playing retail with a 6800GT. The 9800pro was able to run the game at HQ but would chop up VERY often.

Im running the game most of the time (all the time when im not in a town) smooth with 1600x1200 @ High Quality + More (I increase rendering distance and set the LOD to max).

Ghosthunter
01-13-05, 01:25 PM
It IS an issue though Ghosthunter. Before November 12th's patch, the 6800s were running fine. Something in that patch f'ed up the 68x cards bad. You can't say that that's the performance you can expect from such a demanding game because two year Mr. Radeon 9700 Pro is running at high quality with the same FPS that 6800s are in high performance. So it's not because my system isn't strong enough, it's because the programmers either added or took something out that messed up the cards ability to run the game the way it should on such a new card

i have no clue but i have not been hit by it...not saying there is not an issue with the cards and certain configruation specs...but not everyone is having same exact issue

Sorrow
01-13-05, 01:32 PM
3/4 of the 6800 owners are. Mainly because they're the mainstream ps 3.0 cards and haven't recieved a driver that optimizes ps3.0 according to ebtmagus

|MaguS|
01-13-05, 01:36 PM
<- 6800GT owner, no issues. Honestly, I think its a luck of the draw with systems. There seems to be no clear indication of whats causing stuttering in games. Some people have it and others with the same MB/Card do not.

Unlike most people, Im not blaming stuttering on SOE since it is evident that it does happen for those people in other games aswell sometimes. Remember, SOE can only program the game on a certain code path that the videocard uses, the rest is up to Nvidia to optimize that code path.

Sorrow
01-13-05, 01:47 PM
YOU HEAR THAT NVIDIA, OPTIMIZE THAT CODE BABY! Take out 30 hours and work on it! I will strip for you via web cam.

Elderblaze
01-13-05, 01:57 PM
what's funny is eq2 is the only game that has this behavior for me. I can run everything else with no issues. For hours on end, and my system benches right where it should.

|MaguS|
01-13-05, 02:00 PM
Again, Its a luck of the draw... I noticed one thing about EQ2 is that is hates fragmented HD's, even slightly (It also causes your HD to fragment quicker). I usually defrag my PC about once every week or two since EQ2 released. Also adware hurts performance alot aswell.

Downside
01-13-05, 03:43 PM
I'm not complaining about stuttering, I'm complaining that the 400+ dollar video card I have barely performs at the same level in the game as my 3 year old 9700pro that I gave to my kid brother after upgradeing.

Saying "it works fine for me" doesn't mean your card is working any better than those complaining, it just means you don't have the point of reference to tell how your nice new card isn't performing as it should be. My game looks fine, and it's playable. What's got me a little miffed is it also looks just as fine, and is basically just as playable using the 9700pro as it is on my 6800GT.

All the talk about how this game is written to max out next generation hardware pretty much shows you there is a problem, in that the temp of my 6800 drops much lower than I'm used to seeing at full load while playing this game. If I had to guess, I'd say the game isn't making full use of the 6800 series GPU, and forcing the main cpu to do something the GPU can handle much more effectivly. If EQ2's graphic engine was really stressing the card then you would see the GPU's temp much higher.

I have no problems in HL2, Doom3, Warcraft, or any other app. If I didn't know better from having access to my old card I probably wouldn't think I had any issues in EQ2 as well, just that that is the way it is.

Ghosthunter
01-13-05, 07:06 PM
Downside,

what are the rest of your specs? processor? ram? mb?

There is a lot more then just video card...your system might be bottlenecking it...EQ2 is also very CPU dependent

I dont need a point of reference...all I know is I play at 1600x1200 with most settings maxed except for a few and it looks abosultely gorgeous..everytime I log in I am amazed...even when I am fighting and the spell effects...I just get amazed everytime..

I am pretty sure if I put a 9700 no way I can play I am playing at

Elderblaze
01-14-05, 01:24 AM
He dosent have to post his system specs where there is a confirmed, known problem that he describes, that 1000's of people experiance. But if it makes you feel better, I've been building PC's for 10 years, I have an Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.5 Ghz, with 1 GB of ram runing at 420 mhz ddr. An msi k8n neo 2 platinum, audigy 2, and geforce 6800 GT. I have no spyware, no virus, and my hard drive is defragmented. I have the lattest drivers, for chipset, sound, video, the newest bios. And score excellent marks in 3D Mark 05/03/02. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick, Far Cry, and WOW. Everquest performs like ****. I don't beleive in "Luck of the draw" that's bull****. There's nothing wrong with my machine. And sony needs to fix this crap, 2 months ago.

Regards,
Mike

Tyr-Sog
01-14-05, 05:37 AM
I call BS on anyone saying they are running playable framerates at 16x12 maxed settings. (bs2)

Anyways, my lacking PC in my sig also couldn't handle EQ2 for crap and I have used both a 6800gt and what's current in my sig. The game is just a pile of crap and I find myself tweaking more then playing. Have't need to do that in years with any games.

Just cancel it and save yourself th grief. No more jumping through hoops and less headach. Maybe try again in a year or 2.

|MaguS|
01-14-05, 05:43 AM
Don't think anyone said they are running maxed settings... Im not, thats for sure. Im running High Quality, not Extreme Quality (Even then, all the features of the engine aren't maxed if you look at the sliders; aka lighting can support more sources and LOD/Animation can go higher quality)..

Ghosthunter
01-14-05, 09:11 AM
He dosent have to post his system specs where there is a confirmed, known problem that he describes, that 1000's of people experiance. But if it makes you feel better, I've been building PC's for 10 years, I have an Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.5 Ghz, with 1 GB of ram runing at 420 mhz ddr. An msi k8n neo 2 platinum, audigy 2, and geforce 6800 GT. I have no spyware, no virus, and my hard drive is defragmented. I have the lattest drivers, for chipset, sound, video, the newest bios. And score excellent marks in 3D Mark 05/03/02. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick, Far Cry, and WOW. Everquest performs like ****. I don't beleive in "Luck of the draw" that's bull****. There's nothing wrong with my machine. And sony needs to fix this crap, 2 months ago.

Regards,
Mike

really 1000's of people are experience? why is it everyone i know who has 6800gt and playing EQ2 is not complaining?

I never said there wasnt an issue...but dont make it like everyone who has 6800gt is having an issue...because that is not true.

Downside
01-14-05, 04:37 PM
My game playing rig specs are:

Athon64 3000 on DFI nforce3 MB
1GB of PDP 2-2-2-5 ram. (2x512mb)
74GB Raptor
EVGA 6800GT at 410/1100
SB Audigy2
Proc and vid card are watercooled.

I'm also an experienced PC builder/user/system engineer/geek whatever. The system is a fresh XP sp2 install with just drivers, couple benchmark apps, and 2 games, eq2, and HL2. I rebuilt the system shortly after installing eq2 to try to resolve the lack of performance. No crap in the background, no old drivers, etc.

really 1000's of people are experience? why is it everyone i know who has 6800gt and playing EQ2 is not complaining?

That's great for them. How many people you know who has a 6800 series card? The longest thread on the official support forums is for this very issue.

I don't know about running it at 16x12, as both my systems are on 1280 LCD's.

I've pretty much decided to live with it. I'm certainly able to play the game, and I know it will get fixed eventually, just frustrating that if my ultra cheap order I had with Gatewait for a x800xt had gone through instead of being cancelled due to no availability, I wouldn't be having this problem :)

I've already pre-ordered a x800xl for a second pci xpress nforce4 system I'm building (more money than sense I guess), so I'll be able to directly compare the two cards side by side whenever the ATI card actually ships.

Elderblaze
01-14-05, 08:49 PM
on the official sony boards there's a post over 30 pages long with people who have this issue. Many people who think it runs "Fine" are in fact ignorant and think it's lag, or that it's supposed to be that way. Decide to live with it, or just don't care. High end hardware typically ends up in the hands of enthusiast, but because so many non-enthusiast play EverQuest 1/2. (Some of these people think the mouse is a foot pedal to turn on the computer) And sony promoted Nvidia hardware, 6800 specifically for months, alot of computer illiterate people have purchased 6800's and they probably think it's runing fine and dandy, because they are ignorant and don't know better. I think almost everyone has this issue, some ignore it, some live with it, some to ignorant to know what it is, some don't even notice it, and the minority that knows what the hell they are doing is left standing going wtf?

Regards,
Mike

Ghosthunter
01-14-05, 10:07 PM
well if you that unhappy then cancel your account..and don't play.

If my system is supposedly running so bad..well i dont care i am having fun..and dont worry about it..

MaLk^
01-15-05, 03:43 AM
I call BS on anyone saying they are running playable framerates at 16x12 maxed settings. (bs2)

Thank you for That!!
Nice that its not only me that knows BS when they see it!

ChrisRay
01-15-05, 11:21 PM
Hmm.. I came back tonight. Performance actually seems better for me. Of course I havent been paying "That" much attention. Has anyone noticed improved performance recently?

Tyr-Sog
01-16-05, 12:05 AM
Same here. With wow's constant downtime I sparked up eq for the first time in awhile and is seemed like it had better performance..

MikeC
01-16-05, 06:16 PM
The only mode that is "stutter-free" on the GeForce 6800 Ultra for me is Extreme Performance :)

The following performance monitor results are based on a 60 second walkthrough on the Isle of Refuge at four different display setttings - Very High Quality, Balanced, Very High Performance, and Extreme Performance.

Statistics were captured at 2 second intervals and confirm that the stuffering is not related to a CPU, memory, or disk bottleneck.

Resolution of 1024x768 with 4X AA / 8X AF. EQ2 is installed on the E: drive.

Very High Quality

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/eq2_vhq.png

Balanced

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/eq2_balanced.png

Very High Performance

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/eq2_high_perf.png

Extreme Performance

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200501/eq2_ext_perf.png

ssj4goku887
01-16-05, 06:46 PM
i have sat there on eq2 for lieka n hour just tweaking the settings and have concluded that it is the shaders causing such a performance drop in eq2. eq2 must have such an inefficient way of rendering shaders which causes like a 35 fps drop. if you have any kind of advanced shaders on your fps will plumit. turn up your quality settings to high quality to see the most effect then go into performance panel. and go to advanced shader distance. put it all the way down so it says -1 watch your fps skyrocket from 20 to 50+. even turn it on to the lowest setting watch your fps plumit once again. the shaders that eq2 uses arent that advanced and have been around for a while and doesnt cause much of any fps drop in any other game i have played like doom 3 and hl2 etc. forcing sm 2.0 does nothing also. turning off advanced shader distance also pretty much eliminates stuttering :)

ChrisRay
01-16-05, 07:03 PM
Hey Mike, What is your system again?