PDA

View Full Version : Everquest 2. I think I may have a partial solution to stuttering.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Ronin
01-25-05, 04:47 PM
Even a UI element that allowed this would call for coding to support it. It's not just a 1 line code change, unfortunately. :(

Sgt_Pitt
01-25-05, 09:56 PM
im sure they thought of making their code easily accessible, being a mmorpg would call for constant updates, it would make sense.

Downside
01-26-05, 12:24 PM
The fact that they could code a graphics engine at all means they could make the needed changes. They have multiple detail levels, and one of the most customizable graphics systems of any game out there. If they have the programing skill to do all that, then making the engine process through the card vs the cpu is probably well within thier ability to do. I would imagine this is handled by DirectX anyway, and all you need to do is call the correct functions.

There were many games that play just fine on geforcemx series hardware, that use the cpu for this stuff as well, yet still use the GPU for it on hardware where it's supported.

If I remember correctly, SOE had a similiar problem with either the 9700 or 5900 series and EQ1. The game wasn't identifying the new cards properly, and was using the cpu to perform the heavy lifting instead. They got it worked out eventually, but it took them a while then as well.

And no, I'm not a graphics engine developer :)

PeterJensen
01-27-05, 12:53 AM
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_everquest2_home.html

EverQuest II

Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
Developer: Sony Online Entertainment
Genre: RPG / MMO
Multiplayer: Internet
Recommended GPU: GeForce 6 Series
Release Date: Available Now
Official Website

EverQuest II returns to the rich and culturally diverse world of Norrath. Users will be able to select from a wide variety of both new and old races, as well as an exciting new class system when creating their character. Significant improvements to combat, spell and quest mechanics promise to immerse players even more so than the original. In addition to the new mechanics, users will be able to own real estate, participate in and conduct gladiatorial and theatrical events, as well as have the ability to command horses, ships and other such modes of transport. At release, players will be able to equip thousands of items and encounter hundreds of unique creatures, all within a world so large that it literally eclipses the original Norrath in size.

MaLk^
01-27-05, 02:40 AM
I dont know if im the only one that have noticed a big performance increase?

Im not sure when this happened, but i just suddenly noticed that the stuttering in qeynos harbor and willow wood has become a lot less noticeable.

Graphicmaniac
01-27-05, 04:07 AM
maybe ur pc has decided to overclock and overvolt himself alone coz was bored of all these problems :D

Sgt_Pitt
01-27-05, 05:52 AM

EverQuest II

Official Website

EverQuest II returns to the rich and culturally diverse world of Norrath. Users will be able to select from a wide variety of both new and old races, as well as an exciting new class system when creating their character. Significant improvements to combat, spell and quest mechanics promise to immerse players even more so than the original. In addition to the new mechanics, users will be able to own real estate, participate in and conduct gladiatorial and theatrical events, as well as have the ability to command horses, ships and other such modes of transport. At release, players will be able to equip thousands of items and encounter hundreds of unique creatures, all within a world so large that it literally eclipses the original Norrath in size.

err whats this got to do with stuttering ?

PeterJensen
01-27-05, 06:34 AM
Sgt_Pitt : Nothing, but i remember that nvidia showed Everquest 2 as promoting the SM 3.0 tech. Makes one wonder why its running SM 1.1... :(

ChrisRay
01-27-05, 06:54 AM
Nvidia always reccomends its latest GPUS at nzone Pete, Its nothen new. Once there new cards come out. I will bet you dollars to pesos that will change to the next card ;)

Zelda_fan
01-27-05, 07:23 AM
Man, I have some advice for you guys. Switch over to World of Warcraft (runs greta on a 6800), and Sony will get the message if enough people drop.

I haven't played EQ2 yet, but I am gald that when I play I worry about playing the game not how will my system perform.

faraday
01-27-05, 07:55 AM
Congratulations. you just won the worthless post award of the day.

Don't you think that playing the game before would be a rather nice ideia? despite of what people tell you.

EQ2 and WoW are both good games. imho

PeterJensen
01-27-05, 07:57 AM
ChrisRay : I just bought the game yesterday :) Will install it today. I thought it used SM 3.0 :(

Zelda_fan
01-27-05, 08:47 AM
Congratulations. you just won the worthless post award of the day.

Don't you think that playing the game before would be a rather nice ideia? despite of what people tell you.

EQ2 and WoW are both good games. imho

Now if my post was that worthless, then what would that make your post? :thumbdwn:

I'm not trying to start any "oh this game's better than that" flame. EQ2 could be a very good game as far as gameplay goes, and I imagine since it is so popular that it is infact, a good game. What I can be sure of however, is the that EQII stutters like mad on a 6800 card. I don't know about you, but I find it very difficult to enjoy a game that stutters and chokes. Before I bought either game, I sat down and read the nvforum comments on them, and my decision to buy warcraft was based on the main reason that it didn't stutter, and you could concentrate on having fun with the game rather than dealing with a stutter. That's all I was trying to point out.

PeterJensen
01-27-05, 08:49 AM
I just want SM 3.0 :(

Ronin
01-27-05, 10:16 AM

EverQuest II

Official Website

NOTHING here mentions SM3.0. Huge leap on your part?

As far as you people thinking the code is that easy to get to, it's not. Customization on the front end has NO bearing on optimization on the back-end (whether it be PS changes, or codepath changes to say what renders what).

PeterJensen
01-27-05, 01:21 PM
Well i dont think im the only one here that remembers Nvidia showing of Everquest 2 on a
6800....I think it was at the lunsh of the 6800. "look a new MMRPG that supports SM 3.0".
Well i got the game installed now and it runs great. No stutter. But i miss the SM 3.0 fuss nvidia talked about, and yes they did back then.

Downside
01-27-05, 05:31 PM
As far as you people thinking the code is that easy to get to, it's not. Customization on the front end has NO bearing on optimization on the back-end (whether it be PS changes, or codepath changes to say what renders what

Um, it's program code, its as easy to get to as opening whatever dev tool was used to create it and accessing the source code or objects. Writing that code might require some skill, but getting to it certainly don't.

On the performance issue, I do think it has improved recently. I've never had the stutering problem, other than thrashing from the memory leak after time, so I have no idea as to that, but the frame rate does seem to have improved somewhat.

Ronin
01-27-05, 07:42 PM
You're wrong, but thanks for trying, and you totally misunderstood what I said to begin with.

What's being talked about a fundamental code change, and it's not just a change on one level, but several.

How do I know? I work for a game developer.

ChrisRay
01-27-05, 08:02 PM
Eh accessing the code is easy, I'm sure they have all the tools. The question is how organized they were when writing it. ANd how easily they can modify it. Modifying the code itself isnt the problem. It's the compatibility issues that arise and the software testing. They would have to extensively test any change to shader code. And it would require multiple paths. Once But once they got a SM 2.0 path written, It probably wouldnt take much modifcation for a SM 3.0. As it stands theres alot of to change.

I am curious, Are you really THAT disapointed the game is coded in SM 1.1? I mean? Has it really affected your enjoyment of the game? Seems bizarre to me.

Blacklash
01-27-05, 10:51 PM
Well I don't hate the game because its 1.1 myself. I am just a bit tired of companies, both ATi(PS 2.0) and nVidia(SM 3.0) selling us these card with uber price tags when we could probably get by with much less. Certainly there are some games that use PS 2.0 and SM 3.0, the question though, is to what extent? It seems to be small even when implemented. By the time games are mostly just using PS 2.0 I'll probably have an entirely new rig. My understanding was SM 3.0 could do everything the others could only much more efficiently. When I honestly look at the games I have played and what I have actually need to push them video wise, well frankly I could have just stuck with my 9800Pro.

Zelda_fan
01-27-05, 10:59 PM
You're wrong, but thanks for trying, and you totally misunderstood what I said to begin with.

What's being talked about a fundamental code change, and it's not just a change on one level, but several.

How do I know? I work for a game developer.

I understand what you are saying, but regardless of the difficulty, the developer has an obligation to a paying customer to make sure their product is stable and bug free.

Ronin
01-28-05, 01:05 AM
Which has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about here. If you think that transitioning beyond 1.1 to 2.0 or 3.0 would solve the issue that this thread is about, you've either not been paying attention, or you simply know very little about hardware.

ChrisRay
01-28-05, 01:35 AM
Ronin whom are you arguing with? Its like you carry on arguments with different members like they are the same people arguing a point you made earlier.

Ronin
01-28-05, 01:52 AM
Shall I start quoting posts to not confuse you?

ChrisRay
01-28-05, 02:08 AM
It's not that I'm confused. I just find your lobbying peculiar.