PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra Extreme

ICE_PIMP
12-01-04, 12:58 PM
Whatever happend to this card? Seems like it doesn't even exist. I'm starting to beleive that nVIDIA only paper released that card and sent it out to reviewers just so that the nVIDIA wouldnt get buried in the shadows if X800XTPE. Whats your guys's oppinions?

Lfctony
12-01-04, 01:01 PM
I know that Gainward, eVga and BFG have some of these cards out. Don't know of any more though.

skypx
12-01-04, 01:19 PM
Whatever happend to this card? Seems like it doesn't even exist. I'm starting to beleive that nVIDIA only paper released that card and sent it out to reviewers just so that the nVIDIA wouldnt get buried in the shadows if X800XTPE. Whats your guys's oppinions?

Evga.com has a weekly drawing to win a chance to buy one.

mustrum
12-01-04, 01:50 PM
Paper release? By EVGA, Gainward and BFG: YES!
BY nvidia? NO
This card never existed. It's just OCed 6800 ULTRAS the brands wanted to macke a great buck with.
The 6800 ULTRA has the following specs: 400mhz core 1100 mhz memory.
Everything that differs from this is being shipped OCed by the brand.
Therefore BFG sells their ULTRAs as 6800 ULTRA OC because you get 425mhz core clock under warranty.

PSYCHODAD
12-01-04, 02:38 PM
BY nvidia? NO
This card never existed. It's just OCed 6800 ULTRAS the brands wanted to macke a great buck with.
Therefore BFG sells their ULTRAs as 6800 ULTRA OC because you get 425mhz core clock under warranty.
I think perhaps most ultras come clocked at 425/1100 anymore. I own a pny and an evga, both came clocked at those speeds out of box.

Zetto
12-01-04, 03:56 PM
I actually read somewhere that nvidia raised specs for ultras to 425 mhz anyways. I dunno if it's true tho.

Oberst Oswald
12-01-04, 10:51 PM
I have a eVGA 6800UEE. (450/1203 - out of box) Got it from Monarch last week. It cost me $600.00 so it does exist if you want to pay the price.

Rollo
12-01-04, 11:15 PM
BY nvidia? NO

I don't think this is a "paper release" you could actually buy all those cards, just not in great quantity.

As far as them being "just OCs" I think it's up to the manufacturer to state what they consider "OCd" for their product?

(i.e. If eVGA says the stock clock is 450/1200, that is the stock clock and they warrant it at that speed. You won't be going to nVidia for RMA, you go to eVGA.)

mustrum
12-02-04, 04:55 AM
I don't think this is a "paper release" you could actually buy all those cards, just not in great quantity.

As far as them being "just OCs" I think it's up to the manufacturer to state what they consider "OCd" for their product?

(i.e. If eVGA says the stock clock is 450/1200, that is the stock clock and they warrant it at that speed. You won't be going to nVidia for RMA, you go to eVGA.)
The x800 XT PE was called a paper release while selling thousands of cards a day. There's rumours that there's no mor than like a few thousands of ULTRA Extremes in total wich could be called a paper release.
It does not matter what clocks the brands are puttign under warranty.
The name of the card is 6800 ULTRA and chosen by nvidia.
The 6800 ULTRA is a 400/1100 card. The 450/1200 is more like the (most likely never existant) 6900 and therefore no real 6800 ULTRA anymore.

And no nvidia didn't upper official clocks to 425/1100.
The following brands still sell them at stock clock rates:
MSI
Gainward (non GS)
Albatron
Leadtek
Club 3D
PNY
Palit

and many more

Rollo
12-02-04, 08:20 AM
The x800 XT PE was called a paper release while selling thousands of cards a day. There's rumours that there's no mor than like a few thousands of ULTRA Extremes in total wich could be called a paper release.
It does not matter what clocks the brands are puttign under warranty.
The name of the card is 6800 ULTRA and chosen by nvidia.
The 6800 ULTRA is a 400/1100 card. The 450/1200 is more like the (most likely never existant) 6900 and therefore no real 6800 ULTRA anymore.

And no nvidia didn't upper official clocks to 425/1100.
The following brands still sell them at stock clock rates:
MSI
Gainward (non GS)
Albatron
Leadtek
Club 3D
PNY
Palit

and many more

Hmmmm.

A. I pretty much doubt ATI is selling "thousands of cards a day" of X800XT PEs. Where do you get these figures?

B. If the card has been sold in stores, it's not a "paper release". "Paper release" is the term we use when a company releases the white papers for it's new design, but no cards are available yet. A guy in this thread just bought a 6800UE from a vendor, I saw them in stock there as well.

C. nVidia doesn't chose the name of cards, it recommends clock speeds and names for those clock speeds. nVidia partners have always had much more latitude in clock speeds and nomenclature than other brands. Companies are free to call their products whatever they wish.

D. It doesn't matter what those companies clock their parts at or call them, Gainward, eVGA, BFG can differ. Your saying they can't is irrelevant, it's not your decision to make.

(snowlol)

vasileiou
12-02-04, 08:39 AM

just buy a 6800Ultra and Overclock it

And you will have a 6800 Ultra Extremme

mustrum
12-02-04, 09:56 AM
Rollo: Don't tell me what a paper rlease is. You can read it all over the forums that ATI paper launched their XT PE. Do you really think noone owns a XT PE?
According to Steam more people own a x800 XT PE than a 6800 ULTRA (ULTRA Extreme included)
Do you think only aTI owners play HL2 - the best shooter since years?
Do you really think that?
I could by a XT PE right now while it was only possible to get this ULTRA used from some lucky guy.
Both highend cards were paper launched and people call it like that even now.
I do know that there is cards out allready but they were paperlaunched still since they weren't and aren't widely available.
The ULTRA extreme came out shortly aftzer the 6800 ULTRA paper launched and therefore i can say it's a paper release as well.

Your interpreting the phrase paper release. The community uses it different tho.

About the ULTRA clocks: Most ULTRAs run at 400/1100 and it's the official clock rate.
If some manufacturers sell them overclocked under warranty that's fine but does not change a thing. It's a few brands doing this but this doesn't change the fact that a geforce 6800 ULTRA usually runs at 400/1100.

I highly doubt that companies are allowed to name their cards as they wish. If BFG would decide to sell a 6800 ULTRA as 6900 ULTRA i am sure they would be in trouble.

Rollo
12-02-04, 02:06 PM
Rollo: Don't tell me what a paper rlease is. You can read it all over the forums that ATI paper launched their XT PE. Do you really think noone owns a XT PE?
According to Steam more people own a x800 XT PE than a 6800 ULTRA (ULTRA Extreme included)
Do you think only aTI owners play HL2 - the best shooter since years?
Do you really think that?
I could by a XT PE right now while it was only possible to get this ULTRA used from some lucky guy.
Both highend cards were paper launched and people call it like that even now.
I do know that there is cards out allready but they were paperlaunched still since they weren't and aren't widely available.
The ULTRA extreme came out shortly aftzer the 6800 ULTRA paper launched and therefore i can say it's a paper release as well.

Your interpreting the phrase paper release. The community uses it different tho.

About the ULTRA clocks: Most ULTRAs run at 400/1100 and it's the official clock rate.
If some manufacturers sell them overclocked under warranty that's fine but does not change a thing. It's a few brands doing this but this doesn't change the fact that a geforce 6800 ULTRA usually runs at 400/1100.

I highly doubt that companies are allowed to name their cards as they wish. If BFG would decide to sell a 6800 ULTRA as 6900 ULTRA i am sure they would be in trouble.

I am telling you what a "paper release" is because it only has one definition, and that is the white paper is released to the press, not the product to the public. The term is used incorrectly on the boards to express frustration over limited availability of cards.

You must not live in the USA, because MANY more dealers have the 6800U in stock than the X800XT PE, and they have it for MSRP or close to it. I bet you can't find 3 dealers here that have PEs within $100 of MSRP in stock. I bet you can't find 10 that have it period.

Check out Gainwards nomenclature ove rthe years if you don't believe me- they call everything "Utlra" and used to have hilarious stuff like "GF3 Ti-2600 Golden Sample Radiant Duck Edition".

juego
12-02-04, 02:24 PM
I am telling you what a "paper release" is because it only has one definition, and that is the white paper is released to the press, not the product to the public. The term is used incorrectly on the boards to express frustration over limited availability of cards.

You must not live in the USA, because MANY more dealers have the 6800U in stock than the X800XT PE, and they have it for MSRP or close to it. I bet you can't find 3 dealers here that have PEs within $100 of MSRP in stock. I bet you can't find 10 that have it period.

Check out Gainwards nomenclature ove rthe years if you don't believe me- they call everything "Utlra" and used to have hilarious stuff like "GF3 Ti-2600 Golden Sample Radiant Duck Edition".

Yup in Europe is XTPE is much wider spread than the Ultra (Extreme). Seems Nvidia "paper launched" :) teh Ultra in Europe and Ati "paped launched" the XTPE in the US. (snow=D)

FuSi0N
12-02-04, 02:37 PM
Evga.com has a weekly drawing to win a chance to buy one.

This sort of reminds me of how companies like Lamborgini and Ferrari pre-selects the buyers for it's cars LoL.

rudedog
12-02-04, 04:59 PM
Here is a link of some pictures of my 6800UEE
http://www.mohadmin.com/2004light/6800/
I was one of the winners from the very first eVGA drawing. It's clocked at 450/1200 and is now watercooled.

NoWayDude
12-02-04, 05:35 PM
Yup in Europe is XTPE is much wider spread than the Ultra (Extreme). Seems Nvidia "paper launched" :) teh Ultra in Europe and Ati "paped launched" the XTPE in the US. (snow=D)
You can still not phisicaly buy any.You can order it or pre order it online, but try to get them on the store (at least in the UK)
I order my GT from Stak, an online seller in the UK.I originaly wanted the Ultra, but the 20 they got on the day they received the shipment, disapeared in less than an hour (mikec) and the waiting was about a month (if you where lucky)
Obviously you can get Gainward (with the watercooler block) for around 600
XPTE's are also as rare as gold dust, and as expensive.
Regarding the Steam survey, please remenber that eith the free HL2 coupoun, the nr's for ATI users are always going to be bigger.Also that GF4MX and FX5200
are there by the thousands
If ID did a survey on Doom3, the results may have been quite comparable, but possibly with Nv cards on top. (xmasgrin)

http://komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=300416&cks=PRL
Edit: Link for Gainward card, in case someone is feeling rich and in the xmas spirit (xmastong)

superklye
12-02-04, 05:50 PM
just buy a 6800Ultra and Overclock it

And you will have a 6800 Ultra Extremme
And that voids the warranty

superklye
12-02-04, 05:55 PM
Obviously you can get Gainward (with the watercooler block) for around 600

Holy crap! That is expensive as all hell!

Zetto
12-02-04, 06:41 PM
Holy crap! That is expensive as all hell!

Don't buy it! (xmasgrin)