PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys use "quality" or "high quality"?

Pages : [1] 2

circuitbreaker8
12-01-04, 03:39 PM
For games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, and others, what do you guys recomend using for my system? Is there a visable IQ loss from switching from HQ to just Quality?

Toss3
12-01-04, 03:51 PM
Don't think there's any difference between the quality and high quality settings, perfomance wise. But I think some could notice a difference in image quality though :) so I say go with the High Quality setting :)

Buck Armstrong
12-01-04, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure there's an inherent difference, except that all optimizations are automatically turned off if you choose High Quality. So you can run "Quality" and pick which driver opts. to turn on, but by definiton "High Quality" rules out their use.

EDIT: I always use High Quality. From the benchmarks I've seen, the opts. don't really increase performance much at all (but correct me if I'm wrong), and I didn't pay $400 for a video card to see anything but the highest quality graphics possible.

zoomy942
12-01-04, 04:02 PM
if you stop and take 50 screen shots and compare them you may see a difference, and on a machine like yours, the performance hit will be so small you'll never know. I have a decent machine, but i use quality mode because it enables the optimizations. There is a mixed bag of people when it comes to whether optimazations are good or bad. to me.. i am too busy running around blowing things up (or running for my life :) ) i dont pay attention to the little thingsthat the optimazations may affect . so i use quality.

|JuiceZ|
12-01-04, 04:21 PM
if you stop and take 50 screen shots and compare them you may see a difference, and on a machine like yours, the performance hit will be so small you'll never know. I have a decent machine, but i use quality mode because it enables the optimizations. There is a mixed bag of people when it comes to whether optimazations are good or bad. to me.. i am too busy running around blowing things up (or running for my life :) ) i dont pay attention to the little thingsthat the optimazations may affect . so i use quality.

x2

Superfly
12-01-04, 04:32 PM
x3

zoomy942
12-01-04, 04:34 PM
i thought i was the only one. :)

Superfly
12-01-04, 05:00 PM
:-)

your never alone.........

Lfctony
12-01-04, 05:04 PM
Don't think there's any difference between the quality and high quality settings, perfomance wise. But I think some could notice a difference in image quality though :) so I say go with the High Quality setting :)

Actually in HL2, moving to Quality from HQ nets you a healthy 18% at 1280x960/4xAA/8xAF. And in Painkiller as well, there's a good boost by turning optimisations on. There are surely other games that are affected. So I use Q.

circuitbreaker8
12-01-04, 05:48 PM
I think i'll leave it on HQ...thanks guys.

Vapor Trail
12-01-04, 06:14 PM
I use high quality all the time.

I'd rather lower the resolution a notch than have to deal with lower quality IQ due to optimizations.

Drax
12-01-04, 11:04 PM
High Quality. When I got Doom 3 I was scrutinizing (sp?) it like mad. Then one night I turn up the quality slider in Delta lab near that machine that shoots out that beam into that tunnel you have to go into (atomic destabelizer I think). Anyways, suddenly I notice how clear the textures on that curvey device are. I switch it back to "quality" with only trilinear optimizations on (oh that's right it's opengl so trilinear are the only optimizations that would do anything anwyas) and sure enough the textures are all "fuzzier". HQ has a very subtle improvement to the entire scene, at least on those drivers at the time. Frame rates are also important to making a scene look believable but if you can, just leave it at HQ.

(pardon my spelling if it suddenly sucking in this post)

MUYA
12-01-04, 11:29 PM
Gaming with no compromises - High Quality

No optimization

rewt
12-02-04, 12:38 AM
High Q - It actually gives me better performance than High Performance :confused:

For example, I would play HL2DM at High Performance = Lag
If I play at High Quality = Smooth

jAkUp
12-02-04, 02:21 AM
I just keep it at quality...

noko
12-02-04, 02:29 AM
HQ, I do notice the difference :(, yet the performance is awesome still in the end :D.

Superfly
12-02-04, 02:29 AM
I use high quality all the time.

I'd rather lower the resolution a notch than have to deal with lower quality IQ due to optimizations.

Ummm sure - like you can actually see the difference WITHOUT studying screen shots, hell I find it hard to see the difference even WITH screen shots to compair.

each to there own I guess

noko
12-02-04, 03:04 AM
In some games, example Doom3, quality setting has bilinear looking grates or floors with lines that move when you do, distrating for me. I am about half way through on verteran's level second time around and it is as smooth as can be. IF the game is smooth with HQ why not use it? Just an option which is always good. If my game play became rough then I would use Q vice HQ before I lower my screen resolution, LCD monitor look terrible except in their native resolution is the main reason.

mustrum
12-02-04, 03:39 AM
high quality. I don't buy one of the best cards out there to have quality on a setting that's not the best possible.

MUYA
12-02-04, 04:52 AM
Ummm sure - like you can actually see the difference WITHOUT studying screen shots, hell I find it hard to see the difference even WITH screen shots to compair.

each to there own I guess

It's subjective, don't jump on the guy just because you yourself cannot see it. I can make out the transition/banding bewteen differing mip map levels when optimzations are on...most notably on indoor far cry levels.

Vapor Trail
12-02-04, 05:34 AM
It's subjective, don't jump on the guy just because you yourself cannot see it. I can make out the transition/banding bewteen differing mip map levels when optimzations are on...most notably on indoor far cry levels.

That's exactly the kind of things I'm talking about. I can see the mip banding very easily, I guess I'm just sensitive to it.

Not in every game though, some games are just more sensitive to it than others.

To be honest I'm pretty CPU limited on my PC anyway so I tend to keep the IQ as high as possible because lowering it doesn't give me that much of a speed boost anyway.

Once you get used to a certain level of quality you can't go back.

ChrisRay
12-02-04, 05:40 AM
It very much depends on the game. Some games I will use Performance. Some games I use Quality. Some games I use High Quality. I turn the settings up as I need them.

zoomy942
12-02-04, 06:05 AM
i agree that in some games, SOMETIMES, i can see the banding and such, but its toomuch work to keep going in the driver settings and changing it.. i just wanna start plundering! (sid meier's pirates! reference)

Drax
12-02-04, 06:15 AM
Then there's some games where you just don't care about the quality. Like Dawn of War, yeah it's great looking but since it's an RTS I'm not too concerened over the over all image quality and turning on all the optimizations makes those huge fights alot smoother.

Tyr-Sog
12-02-04, 06:20 AM
It's been on HQ since the day I brought it home, never tried Q. (rudolf)