PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GTOC 1.4v bios NV5 died last night

Pages : [1] 2

kawaii gocchin
12-02-04, 02:15 PM
My system wouldn't post for some reason yesterday and I couldn't figure out what it was. I installed the d-bracket that comes along with the Neo2 Platinum mobo that has diagnostic lights and it kept hanging at "Initializing Floppy Controller" so I thought damn floppy drive is messed up and I pulled it out. Still wouldn't post. I did a search on "Neo2 Initializing Floppy Controller" and Google came up with a few results. In the few results I checked, everytime it was a BFG 6800 series card and an MSI Neo2 Platinum that was involved and turned out that the video card was the culprit.

So I dug out an old PCI Radeon 7000 stuck it in my system and it booted fine. :(

I then took the BFG 6800GTOC and put in another system with an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo and it posted but the screen was all covered in artifacts. Screencap here:

http://www.jpop.com/1.jpg

So looks like the card is screwed. It was flashed with a 1.4v bios and I installed an NV5 Silencer on it. I've had it for 4 months but I'm not the original owner so looks like RMA is out of the question. :(

Any ideas why this might have suddenly happened or suggestions as to what I might do would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Turbo
12-02-04, 02:26 PM
It was probably the 1.4v that did it. From what I've seen on various discussion boards and forums, the BFGs just don't handle 1.4v well. Mine won't take it at all...any game I run results in a nintendo style crash...black and white pixelated garbage across the entire display. I've tried a dozen or so bioses with various volatages and anytime I push 1.4v to 3d it happens. So I got an flashed back to 1.3v, got an NV5 and can reach 430/1.14...not too bad for a GT. Anyway...Probably not much you can do.

I did see a post of a guy who killed his card so he went to Best Buy (I think) purchased another identical card, swapped the serial number stickers, then put his dead one back in the package and took it back for a refund...not exactly an honest approach to replacing it....but I thought it was funny.

kawaii gocchin
12-02-04, 02:40 PM
I guess flashing it back to 1.3v is an option that's too late.... :(

I don't think it was a heat issue as I only overclock when benching and I monitor temps pretty closely :(

JoKeRr
12-02-04, 03:24 PM
do u have to be the orginal owner to qualify for the life-time warranty??

DJB
12-02-04, 03:26 PM
It may not be too late to flash back to 1.3v. I too have found that on the 2 PNY6800GTs that we have around here, neither will run 100% stable with 1.4v, even at stock speeds, though they overclock to Ultra speeds at 1.3v. When I was getting lockups, etc. I just flashed back with no issues thereafter.

Goodluck!

DJB

H3avyM3tal
12-02-04, 03:35 PM
The same thing happen to me yesterday!
I quickly did the reflash back to 1.3V and pluged the monitor into the 2nd input on the card.
Works fine so far... 1.4V is dangerous...

anzak
12-02-04, 04:25 PM
The same thing happen to me yesterday!
I quickly did the reflash back to 1.3V and pluged the monitor into the 2nd input on the card.
Works fine so far... 1.4V is dangerous...

Now who has been saying that 1.4v is dangerous (on a GT) for months now? :rolleyes:

I tried to tell people, maybe now they will listen.

Phalinx
12-02-04, 05:18 PM
anzak

I've been running my 6800GT @1.4v for about 4-5 months now. It's clocked at Ultra speeds. The voltage is set for both 2d and 3d. The card's temp is 50c with and Evga copper hs. The only thing that I did was follow Omega53's guide/post.

If my card starts to have problems, I'll post back and let you all know. Evga cards seem to handle to extra voltage.

Cheers

Phalinx

H3avyM3tal
12-02-04, 05:28 PM
Well I can really only blame myself here, for not being careful enough..
And my GT is officialy dead...

anzak
12-02-04, 05:30 PM
anzak

I've been running my 6800GT @1.4v for about 4-5 months
So did I. Well close to that anyways. :P

kawaii gocchin
12-02-04, 09:18 PM
I did run it at 1.4 for almost 4 months without a hitch, it just "suddenly" happened.... I'm going to flash it back to the original bios. Keep my fingers crossed!

noko
12-02-04, 09:36 PM
Have my BFG at 1.4v for 4 months, still running strong. If I toast it, I will buy another one or upgrade and use it as a paper weight. I wonder if the dual connections on the Ultra is what needed to keep the NV40 chip living long. I have an A/C cooled case and my BFG rarely gets above 56c fully loaded and runs 38-42c in 2d when OC to 400/1100. This doesn't really make to much sense in that the 6800GT and Ultra versions are running the same chip and basically the exact same circuit board except for the dual power connectors. Hopefully we don't hear to many others toasting their GT's.

anzak
12-02-04, 11:04 PM
If I toast it, I will buy another one or upgrade and use it as a paper weight.

A paper weight? Don't make me laugh, a real man would turn it into a key chain (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39561). (xmasgrin)

hypertek
12-02-04, 11:41 PM
i think u can get away with rma if u say it was "a gift" cuz u wont have original reciept. try it. I used to work for a company that had warrantees and we would take stuff back if it was "a gift" but not if they got it "second hand".

H3avyM3tal
12-03-04, 01:55 AM
Well. Im using my GT again, seems to run fine, but it sure aint stable.
I'm using 1.3V but I can assure you it's all messed up.
Couldn't get it to make 1 run of 3dmark05...

Cream
12-03-04, 02:06 AM
anzak

I've been running my 6800GT @1.4v for about 4-5 months now. It's clocked at Ultra speeds. The voltage is set for both 2d and 3d. The card's temp is 50c with and Evga copper hs. The only thing that I did was follow Omega53's guide/post.

If my card starts to have problems, I'll post back and let you all know. Evga cards seem to handle to extra voltage.

Cheers

Phalinx

Why do you need a 1.4v mod to get those speeds? :wtf: I have a BFG 6800GT O/Ced to 410/1100 no problems with no mods.... So much better to send back if it goes tits up... (mikec)

(xmassign)

noko
12-03-04, 02:08 AM
LOL a keychain, well I think I will literally put it in a toaster, take some pictures and maybe some video and put it on Rage3d.com. Just kidding ;). All the FaNaTiCs would probably congradulate me or something over there and the images would be all over the net in no time. In the mean time I will be gaming until she gets old, useless or breaks.

mustrum
12-03-04, 03:09 AM
It happenes more often lately. The argument that you run 4-5 months at 1.4v does not count. The cards seem to die after a quite long time of overvolting.
That's exactly why i sold my GT and went for a real ULTRA.
It seems like most GT's can't handle 1.4v as thought before. They don't run at 1.3v without a reason.

Makes sense since there is hardly any ULTRAs out there for sale and nvidia really could use some more. Why should they sell a card as GT when it can do 425mhz stable?

MUYA
12-03-04, 03:16 AM
The same used to happen to PIII 500mhz which were overvolted and o/c'ed to pIII 750mhz around 1999-2000. It was said that the channels where electrons flow just became unusable after too much stress. Ie the transistors just gave in

Phalinx
12-03-04, 03:48 PM
Cream

The reason I went with 1.4v instead of 1.3v is that 1.3v gave me higher temps for some strange reason. The temps were as high as 80c. Idle was around 55c. After the volt mod, my temps are 49-50c w/copper hs and all of my programs run stable. It wasn't stable at 1.3v.

If my card dies, then so be it. I take that chance. I have a tornado under the copper hs.

Cheers

Phalinx

Ironmanstl
12-04-04, 03:12 PM
not to add fuel to the fire but,

my 1.4v gt started giving me the random chainlink screen over the last week,
did it twice in a row,
I reflashed back to 1.3, working great again, tho only 400/1100
went 2 months no problems

ricercar
12-04-04, 03:35 PM
The screen image in the original post indicates faulty cells in the video RAMs. if you haven't used high volts long enough to do permanent damage you can probably restore lower voltages and keep using the card. This minute I am using an ASUS 9900 that I blew the RAMs on, bad display even on the POSt screen, but a week later it was fine.

noko
12-04-04, 04:04 PM
Not sure how OV the core causes the ram to fail??? Hmmm, could OV core cause the ram to see increase voltage in some aspect? Which is adjusted in the Ultra version?

eyoo
12-04-04, 04:49 PM
I'm glad I read this, I used the volt mod to get rid of the "flashing water" artifacts so many people are getting with their regular overclock of 400/1100 in EQ2. I've only had it this way for a few days now but my picture seemed to become more dim and blurry on the desktop. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but... I hope I haven't fried the card.

What are the chances that my card is permanently damaged now if I did happen to notice the desktop become dim and blurry and have a slight "screen door effect" ? I flashed it back to 1.3v and it seems ok now...

aldamon
12-04-04, 05:07 PM
I get the same artifacts with 1.4V. My card is water cooled and I still can't compete with some of the better GTs out there on stock coolers. I'm basically just using the MCW50 I picked up this fall so it doesn't sit in a box.