PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in here have a DELL computer?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Fook Me
08-08-02, 09:43 PM
So Ill be ok if I just change the Videocard to a Geforce 4 and change my LAN card right and also change my Sound Card?

Fook Me
08-09-02, 01:44 AM
Hey, will it work if I just upgrade my Videocard, soundcard, and LAN card??????

netviper13
08-09-02, 01:48 AM
It should work just fine.

Fook Me
08-09-02, 02:45 AM
You sure man? Do you have a DELL?

VeritechK7
08-09-02, 04:20 AM
well here's a kicker, the gf4 theoretically uses less power than its predecessors so you might be safe in that part, the main thing that might change things if you add more stuff like memory, fans, or hard drives

netviper13
08-09-02, 04:01 PM
I have two Dell computers, but my main one is not a Dell...I can tell you it worked fine with a GeForce2 Ultra and an SB Live!, plus an extra 256mb of RAM.

cricket
08-10-02, 07:02 PM
hey fookme"..did you get the new dell yet? what model did you order? demension8200? 4500? 4500s?....how do you like it ? how much did you pay for it?(not nosey, but just curious)...i just got a demension 8200(on june5th) with p4/2.26ghz/533mhz front bus/512 cache/geforce4 ti 4600/256mb pc800rdram/80gb hard drive/winxp home edition/sblive/hk395 speakers/microsoft works2002/10/100 ethernet 3com network card/24x cdrw drive..i paid $1564.00 total,,...got 80gb hard drive as a free upgrade/got free shipping/got burner upgrade.seemed like a good deal and it is a sweet system. "DUDE, YOU'RE GETTING A dell"!!...LOL P.S. only problem is my cdrw drive stopped working 2 days ago, but they are shipping me a new one. i cant understand why a cdrw drive would stop working, any clues why this could happen? thank god for warranties.

wysiwyg
08-15-02, 08:39 AM
1ST building a pc is easier than putting a jigsaw puzzle together, and cheaper. i get my parts from discount shops and fares. never had any failures.

btw i think dell are overpriced and lack in performance from my experiences. and why do their laptops always fail. but i cant see any reason why not to upgrade a dell pc.

my work pc is an old dell dimension xps 350. yes it sucks. but ive improved on its original performance by adding a Radeon 64DDr, 512MB, and a live value soundcard, ive even installed XP on it and its very stable now.

nimitz
01-17-03, 10:20 AM
Hi, ather problems of dell notebooks is that the dell didn't create the driver for all windows operating system before the w2000 o.s.

I have a dell ispiron 8200 with geforce4 go, but i don't have the driver for windows 98, windows 98 se, or windows millenium.

Someone knows where can i try it?

tnks :)))

by Admiral Nimitz :)

Riptide
01-17-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FastM
I just hope your Dell power supply will be enough to take on a GF4 TI4600...

It will. I have a Dimension 4550 w/a Visiontek Ti4600 running in it nicely. And that's with a stick of Corsair XMS PC2700 Cas2 in there as well...

Riptide
01-17-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by wysiwyg
1ST building a pc is easier than putting a jigsaw puzzle together, and cheaper. i get my parts from discount shops and fares. never had any failures.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and say that no, it is not really that easy. Ask anyone who got an asus p4s8x if it's simple and easy to build a PC. Normally it is, but you can still get burned. There are no guarantees...

Nephilim
01-17-03, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by nimitz
Hi, ather problems of dell notebooks is that the dell didn't create the driver for all windows operating system before the w2000 o.s.

I have a dell ispiron 8200 with geforce4 go, but i don't have the driver for windows 98, windows 98 se, or windows millenium.

Someone knows where can i try it?

tnks :)))

by Admiral Nimitz :)

Sorry, I hate to tell you this, but it's not going to happen.

The system never shipped with Win9x, so you aren't going to be able to get a Win9x driver version for it.

Riptide
01-18-03, 10:08 AM
Another thing worth mentioning here is that you can't use the nvidia reference driver with a Dell laptop. You *must* use the Dell GeForce GO driver or it will not work properly.

Nephilim
01-19-03, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Another thing worth mentioning here is that you can't use the nvidia reference driver with a Dell laptop. You *must* use the Dell GeForce GO driver or it will not work properly.

Well, that's the case with any laptop with the nvidia video chipset, not just Dell laptops. The detonator drivers off of nvidia's website don't support the mobile chipsets.

chigger_ns
01-21-03, 03:43 PM
My aunt has a dell 1.6 gig p4 from dell. She had good support from them.(dell canada) Her power supply fan started squeeling.... so the support guy told her to open the computer and check the rest of the fans as well. She did and she had found the cpu fan only going about 300 rpm... He told her no problem ... they sent her all the fans she needed and they told her how to replace them when she got them....:o

I thought it was good

saturnotaku
01-21-03, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Riptide

That's only if you have a laptop screen that does 1400x1050. My Inspiron 8200 has the UXGA (1600x1200) screen and I'm currently running the 42.01 reference drivers with no problems whatsoever. Some people have been able to take reference drivers and modify the .inf file to include support for SXGA resolution. With my 1600x1200 native screen, this step is unnecessary. The only extra step for me to install the driver properly to install the drivers as a GeForce4 MX 4xx - it's the same core as the GF4 4xx Go.

Gator
01-24-03, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Fook Me
Hey, will it work if I just upgrade my Videocard, soundcard, and LAN card??????

Why do you wanna change the sound card and lan card? The onboard sound your dell came with should be decent, unless you have a fancy 6-speaker setup The lan card? Definetly not worth it, you'll get similar performance with the onboard, so you'll only be wasting power.

Just switch the video card and upgrade the memory and leave it at that. If you start doing more things, you'll only put more stress on that dell power supply which could lead to more problems. I'm sure the GF4 will work fine with the Dell :)

And the advice someone gave earlier was right, if your EVER have to call Dell about ANYTHING To replace or trouble shoot, you must LIE and say you NEVER modified the system in any way. ;)

D347H
10-06-05, 02:06 AM

D347H
10-06-05, 02:10 AM
I have a Dell Dimension 4500s, it IS possible to get a different power supply box for your computer, but you'd have to make it external. I bought a VIO 550w PSU for this, no it doesn't fit. But it still works.

You just have to worry about another source of keeping your computer cooler. Buying a fan, cutting the case and mounting it to the side (or top if you have a desktop pc).

Yes Dell does that on purpose so you have to buy THEIR products, but they don't sell anything for this computer anymore so I went ahead and did my own customizing. Which here soon, it will be in a bigger case cause I am ripping it apart.

Another thing, is IF you do happen to decide to do this, make sure that the power wires are out of the way of your fans and your processor, it can melt.

Or you can do what I did, and get some thermal puddy and coat your wires with it just in case if that did happen. As for keeping it away from your fans, you can either use zip clips to tie it to the sides of your case or use twistie ties if you're ghetto.

When I bought my Geforce FX 5500 I needed atleast a min. of 250w and I only had an 180w PSU in this, which was the original slim PSU. So I had no choice really and I couldn't return my card.

I don't know what you're talking about if you use a different psu other than dell it will cause problems with the motherboard. I've had this done for over a year, still no problems. Just remember, a PSU will only use as much power as it needs. It won't cause any problems with it. Even asked a Dell Tech. and they said it would work fine.

I have 2 other different Dells that I got for free from some business company that threw them away, I've put different parts in them that aren't Dell parts, and they both also work great. I just think they feed you a line of ****. But it does void your warrenty, so if it is new, and you don't want to void it, I would suggest not to. However, they will deny any warrenty problems anyways, cause when I first got this computer, it was supposed to be a tower pc, and they sent me a desktop, i emailed them and they told me that it was a problem with the design not the construction and there was nothing they could do. What a load of ****. I though that meant the same thing? or am I just imagining things.

The one Dell i have is a GXsomething can't remember, and I have a Workstation 550 Precision Xeon, which for them being in flood waters, they work perfectly. Just had to replace hard drives, cd-rom drives, diskettes and really clean them. All I need for the Xeon is PC800 RIMMS for it, but I cannot find any cheap 512 strips. So that is a bummer.

All in all, it works fine, stays cool and looks like **** lol...

saturnotaku
10-06-05, 06:49 AM
:eek2:

911medic
10-06-05, 08:29 AM
Well, that's the case with any laptop with the nvidia video chipset, not just Dell laptops. The detonator drivers off of nvidia's website don't support the mobile chipsets.However, that's soon to change.

"Today we bring you the full feature list of Release 80:

Mobile GPUs now supported in NVIDIA.com drivers

Mobile users can now get new features and performance with every driver update
OEMs like Alienware, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest allow NVIDIA.COM drivers to be enabled for their new GeForce Go notebooks
Driver updates maintain all OEM hotkeys and power management settings"

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3118

If Dell is going to do this, I don't know.

Riptide
10-06-05, 08:42 AM
That's only if you have a laptop screen that does 1400x1050.The situation may have changed then. The Latitude C840 would not take the Nvidia driver - BSOD was the result over and over. It was sorta stable - but the BSOD would come up within minutes of booting into Windows. The Dell driver worked fine however. That was a 1600x1200 screen btw.

saturnotaku
10-06-05, 01:45 PM
Guys, this thread is from 2.5 years ago. :p

GamerGuyX
10-06-05, 01:52 PM

einstein_314
10-06-05, 02:40 PM

Lol, don't you love it when some random new member digs up a 2 year old thread? :p