PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in here have a DELL computer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fook Me
08-05-02, 03:04 AM
I just ordered one and this is somestuff that I got:

2ghz Pentium 4 Processor
256ms of DDR SDRAM
32mg ATI Rage videocard (upgrading to my Geforce 4 Ti4400 I have in my current rig right now)
Win XP Home Edition

And I was wondering, if I wanted to change my powersupply for some reason, some people told me that if I do that with a DELL computer, I would have to also change the motherboard also? Is that true with DELL computers?

McBane
08-05-02, 06:27 AM
Most likely: YES.

Dell is infamous for making "propietary" changes to hardware (mobos, power supplies, sound cards etc..)

madthumbs
08-05-02, 10:50 AM
The reason I won't buy one... suppose any one of the motherboard/ power supply/ ram breaks... you have a choice of paying good money for old inferior parts, or upgrading which requires more parts to be changed than normal.

Starscream
08-05-02, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Fook Me
And I was wondering, if I wanted to change my powersupply for some reason, some people told me that if I do that with a DELL computer, I would have to also change the motherboard also? Is that true with DELL computers?

YES. Dell makes proprietary power supplies and motherboards. Any non dell power supply put in there will kill the motherboard. Any non dell motherboard put in there will be killed by the dell power supply.

Fook Me
08-05-02, 01:08 PM
So is there anyway I can change the power supply without changing my motherboard?

netviper13
08-05-02, 01:19 PM
No, and with a Dell computer you couldn't change the motherboard, it wouldn't fit.

You would be much better off either building your own system, or buying from a better retailer such as Alienware. Yes you will pay a bit more, but it's worth it because the Alienware system has parts you can replace.

Fook Me
08-05-02, 01:26 PM
But what are the chances of me replacing the powersupply or motherboard when I havent done that with my current rig EVER? Anyways, ill im changing when I get my system is the videocard to a Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4400 and add more ram to make it 512mgs of DDR SDRAM :)

netviper13
08-05-02, 01:34 PM
You do know that it's impossible to overclock a Dell system too, right?

Fook Me
08-05-02, 01:44 PM
Ya I know it is immposible ;) But I just got this computer because I got a good price on it, (im only 15) and when I get a job ill build my own machine this is what im going to do with my DELL computer:

Change the ATI Rage videocard that comes with DELL to my LeadTek Geforce 4 Ti4400

And upgrade the RAM to 512mgs of DDR SDRAM ( I got a gift certificate) so the DDR RAM will be about $19 and thats why I didnt upgrade it with DELL ;)

THIS SYSTEM WILL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nin_fragile14
08-05-02, 01:48 PM
If you want to upgrade your Dell computer, you will have to buy a new case and power supply. That's what sucks about getting Dell over building it yourself; they use different part standards, making it difficult to upgrade. If you want a 4 ghz p4 a year and a half from now, you'll have to buy a lot more things than just the motherboard and CPU.

I have owned a Dell before (still have it running actually), and they're very stable. The upgrading aspect is what ruined it for me though, two years down the road.

netviper13
08-05-02, 01:48 PM
Cool, btw here's a forewarning: If you ever have something break and contact Dell tech support to try to get em to replace it...say your system is in its original configuration.

If you have one component in there (including OS!) that wasn't bought from them, they feed you a line of BS and refuse to replace the part. I've had it happen to me.

Fook Me
08-05-02, 02:12 PM
What??? So if I upgrade my videocard I will need to change the powersupply and mobo? I dont think so ;) because if they sell Geforce 4 Ti4600 using 250watt powersupply's then why wouldnt mine work? Think about it ;)

fishlung
08-05-02, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Fook Me
So if I upgrade my videocard I will need to change the powersupply and mobo? I don't think so

nin_fragile and netviper made very good points which you should take seriously.

I don't know what kind of Dell you got, but just remember, if you try to "upgrade" it on your own, beware that not all retail parts will work/fit in a Dell. They use different sized cases and proprietary parts that only work with other Dell parts, mostly. That's the bottom line. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to upgrade or whatever you think you're going to do. That's all they're trying to tell you. Hopefully you won't run into any problems.

Also, if you change any of the parts inside your computer, or even if you use a non-Dell version of Windows, the Dell Tech Support may refuse to help you because you've changed their system configuration. It would be no longer the same as how they sold it to you, and perhaps they can say it voids the warranty somehow.

FastM
08-05-02, 03:37 PM
I just hope your Dell power supply will be enough to take on a GF4 TI4600...

Fook Me
08-05-02, 03:50 PM
my version of my DELL uses a 25watt powersupply no matter what I order with it (for example) Geforce 4 Ti4600 1gbs of DDR SDRAM and an 80gig harddrive etc. And they will still use a 250watt powersupply, and there not dumb because why would they put that powersupply in if they knew that it wouldnt work with a Ti4600? Think abou it :):):):)

Atrus
08-05-02, 08:20 PM
Would a Geforce4 even fit in a Dell case? Especially the new slimline ones...

Fook Me
08-06-02, 02:01 AM
I dont have the slim case though, I got the big one and im pretty sure ill have no problems at all ;)

cricket
08-06-02, 04:56 PM
i own 2 dell's..the demension 4100 with winme(which has always worked fine for me although i like winxp better now that i have it on my new system) anyways thats a whole new debate, but 1 st system has winme/1.0ghz/p3/256mb sdram/sblive value..it came with a geforce 2gts vid card, but i installed a geforce 3 ti 500(visiontek card) no problems whatsoever i think my 3dbenchmark was around 8500.. and my newer system which i just got a few weeks ago is the demension 8200/p4/2.26ghz/sblive vaule/geforce4 ti4600/24x burner..(paid 1500.00 including delivery) my 3d benchmark(2nd editon) score was 11038. just make sure u always keep your warranty up to date, just incase of an emergemncy , it will be worth it. and yes if you replace any parts dont let dell know it cause you mat have problems with tech support. everything these guys above said is basically true except that i have overclocked my dell's using coolbits but with stock cooling. i didnt overclock it more than 10%. i dont overclock anymore just because i dont think it is worth melting my video cards. if i knew how to build my own i would do that, but since i dont, dell is best way to go. they are rated #1 for a good reason. as far as being able to upgrade them...if i feel that the system im on is getting too old..ill just get a newer dell dude..lol.(no...im not rich!!) wheneveryone starts kicking my butt in q3..then it is time to upgrade, but currently im kicking their butts. overall it may be a little more money to buy a dell/oem computer, but if you build your own and it breaks...who you gonna call for help? (ghostbusters?)

Fook Me
08-06-02, 06:41 PM
So your saying that I will have no trouble upgrading the Ati Rage video card that comes with my DELL system to my Geforce 4 Ti4400?

Fook Me
08-06-02, 06:48 PM
Right?

cricket
08-06-02, 08:38 PM
no..... i cant see any problems just updating to a better video card

Fook Me
08-07-02, 02:23 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I cant wait for my new video card to come in ;) WHOOO WHOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Fook Me
08-07-02, 02:34 AM
Also im going to put my very good LAN CARD in there $69.99 (Linksys version) and a new Sound Card, is that ok?

Starscream
08-07-02, 12:29 PM
70 dollars american for a nic?!?!?

That is way too much.

http://www.ncix.com/canada/productdetail.php?sku=5245&PHPSESSID=98a0dfcd69a5bc6721182127e5d645f0

32 bucks canadian for a linksys 10/100 pci nic.

Fook Me
08-07-02, 02:11 PM
But I might be getting it today so im not worried