PDA

View Full Version : Do I get a Radeon 9700 Pro or GeForce4 Ti 4600?


cvearl
11-18-02, 12:34 PM
I know this is an nVidia fan site but please dont shoot me for asking such a question. This question is intended for those of you that had a Geforce 4Ti4600 card and made the jump to a 9700PRO. I have a good deal lined up on either card and have a few days to make my decision. As I am getting short on cash, this is the last upgrade I can do for a long time so it better count... Oh ya, one of the main reasons for upgrading is to go to 128MB onboard as opposed to my current 64MB.

If you have had personal real time gaming experiences on both cards, which (if both were the same price) would you buy????

My current card is an MSI G4Ti4200-64TD. Currently I play Star Trek Elite Force, UT2003 Demo, Jediknight II, Warcraft III single player and Morrowind. I am planning on getting No one lives forever 2 and World of Warcraft once it is out.

Please respond.

Charles.

Megatron
11-18-02, 12:36 PM
Well if you have a Ti4200 already then dont consider a Ti4600 at all. That would be a waste since you can probably OC your 4200 to the same speeds as a 4600...why pay for it a second time, when you already have it.

If your gonna buy something..get the 9700.

Smokey
11-18-02, 12:40 PM
I would get the GeforeceFX, well I am ;) but if you really cant wait for that, I would go with the ATI 9700 Pro.

cvearl
11-18-02, 01:00 PM
I have not seen any posts eluding to possible release of the GeforceFX card. Any guesses? My main issue with that is that I can get 4600 or 9700PRO for $285 from a friend (he owes me a favor or two) that has several computers and he only wants one of the two cards as he owns both and not being a hard core gamer does not care which one. The choice is up to me. The 9700PRO was a gift I guess and has not yet been opened :)

My best estimate of the GefofceFX is that it will be mid next year and it will arrive at about $450 and the lite versions or little brothers versions not for a few months after that initial release and even then will likely be $350 or more.

Charles.

Smokey
11-18-02, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by cvearl
I have not seen any posts eluding to possible release of the GeforceFX card. Any guesses? My main issue with that is that I can get 4600 or 9700PRO for $285 from a friend (he owes me a favor or two) that has several computers and he only wants one of the two cards as he owns both and not being a hard core gamer does not care which one. The choice is up to me. The 9700PRO was a gift I guess and has not yet been opened :)

My best estimate of the GefofceFX is that it will be mid next year and it will arrive at about $450 and the lite versions or little brothers versions not for a few months after that initial release and even then will likely be $350 or more.

Charles.

Feb.2003 $300-350 US for 128mb for 256mb flavors I have no idea!

CWB
11-18-02, 02:03 PM
I wouldnt worry about the price being that high if you live in the US. I think FXs will fill the normal Nvidia product pricing slots, which means Large=$350ish, Medium & Small comparable to their usual price.

They have to compete with ATI after all, and they do have some lost ground to make up here, so while I could be wrong, I dont expect to see astronomical price-raises.

StealthHawk
11-18-02, 02:41 PM
no price information has been announced, although there have been rumors about a $360 US MSRP.

NV30 goes into mass production in December, expected to have wide availability by Feb.

travbrad
11-21-02, 12:09 AM
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-966103.html?tag=fd_top

The first two versions of the new chip, the GeForce FX 5800 and 5800 Ultra are in production. They will be available in January and will be priced between $399 and $499 at retail.

-=DVS=-
11-21-02, 02:55 AM
GeForce Fx is 4 months away so your best choise is Radeon 9700 Pro ;)

Experiance with R300 if you have realy bad luck you gonna shoot your self when stuff will stop workeing lol :D

But seriously i have one and it works nicely , but you need revision 1.3 if you have AGP 8x mobo or else it will not work so good , all current Radeons 9700Pro should be new revision so no prob ;)

Gator
11-21-02, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by cvearl
... I can get 4600 or 9700PRO for $285 from a friend ...

$285us is a GREAT deal on a R9700Pro, they sell for $330us and up new

but $285us is not a good deal on a TI4600 as they sell for $210us new

that being the case, R9700 is the better choice, just try to do some research firdt as to whether it'll work with your motherboard

thcdru2k
11-21-02, 08:35 AM
r9700 is a far larger jump from the ti4200 than a ti4600.

Bigus Dickus
11-21-02, 08:43 AM
I would expect a 500Mhz version of the NV30 to be ~ $450 to $500, and a 400Mhz version to be ~ $350 to $400. Available in February is what it looks like... late January if we're lucky.

Get the 9700Pro, it's a large increase in performance and image quality, and at $285 is a great deal.

Greb Jnnayr
11-23-02, 02:11 PM
How can you tell if you have Revision 1.3 or not?

unbiasedfool
11-23-02, 02:44 PM
Go Radeon 9700 PRO, I wouldn't waste money on the Ti4600 when you can get a twice as good product for the same amount of money.

cvearl
11-25-02, 11:23 AM
Thank all!

Switch
11-27-02, 12:45 AM
Be sure to let us know how everything goes!

bkswaney
11-27-02, 02:31 AM
My vote is the 9700 Pro.
I love mine. I upgraded from
a 4600 and I'm glad I did. :) :)

cvearl
11-27-02, 11:37 PM
He promised he would have a decision this Friday. Tick Tick Tick... Grrr..... I have a bad feeling about this.

Charles.:rolleyes:

pelly
11-27-02, 11:44 PM
There's some good reading in store for everyone as they digest their food tomorrow...Expect a post sometime tomorrow morning...

:D

Max Payne
11-28-02, 02:32 AM
..get a 9500Pro. Best price/performance ratio. Ever.:D