PDA

View Full Version : White spots in windows and Games crash, (picture shown) need help please

Tinytim37
12-04-04, 05:19 PM
Ever since coming back from Thanksgiving break, my computer has been getting these white spots when I drag any type of window around within Windows XP, then I went to play CS:Source and it crashed twice in a row, I had to manually restart the pc. I changed the driver version back and forth 61.77 and 66.93, regardless it would still have these problems. I then completely reformatted the Hard drive, thinking it may be a virus or some kind of Windows issue, back up and running with latest drivers, still messed up. I cleaned out the video card, thinking dust or something could be messing it up, nothing there, I check the core temp all the time, runs around 52 degrees Celsius, it ran at that same temp before it started having these spots show up. Included is a picture of what happens when I drag windows around. I'm using a eVGA 6800 GT, it had no problems for the first 3-4 months of use, so any help would be much appreciated, thank you for your time.

Demanufakture
12-04-04, 05:33 PM
I had similar white spots and crashes when I first got my alienware machine two years ago after trying to play a dvd on it. If you read my sig you can see I customized my pc since then myself but, it turned out that the white spots were being caused by the pny geforce 4 ti 4600 I originally had. Well, fortunately I had another Geforce 4 ti 4600 and was able to swap out the alienware one with my other one and that totally fixed it. No problems since. From my experience I would have to assume that for some reason your video card has become defective for some odd reason just like my old card did. :confused:

einstein_314
12-04-04, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a video card problem. What are you're computer specs? Do the white spots only appear when you start dragging around windows?

Tinytim37
12-04-04, 05:57 PM
My specs are:
AMD 3200+
1 Gig Corsair XMS RAM
Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
2 80 Gig WD SATA HDs
evga Geforce 6800 GT video card

The white spots sometimes just appear in tiny amounts, but it goes haywire when I drag windows around, AIM windows, folders, anything...

Salamandar
12-04-04, 06:01 PM
RMA the card.

TiTaNiUm
12-04-04, 06:14 PM
Classic Memory Overheating artifacts.
If your not Overclocking that card, RMA it.

Salamandar
12-04-04, 06:16 PM
Classic Memory Overheating artifacts.
If your not Overclocking that card, RMA it.

Pardon me but I thought Memory overheating artifacts only visible in games and 3d aps. not when you are on the desktop. Please correct me if I am wrong.

TiTaNiUm
12-04-04, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=Salamandar]Pardon me but I thought Memory overheating artifacts only visible in games and 3d aps. not when you are on the desktop. Please correct me if I am wrong.[/QUOTE

You can take a O/C utility like Riva Tuner and O/C the mem and get artifacts on the Desk top. Thats why i asked if he was overclocking. otherwise that card has bad memory, and should be gotten rid of..

Salamandar
12-04-04, 06:29 PM
Really !!!! Never knew that, I thought Arti. happens only in 3d aps. and games.
Thanks any way for the valuable info.
(xmasgrin)

xrotanimret
12-04-04, 07:39 PM
Chiming in like everyone else to say the card is indeed likely to be f***ed.

ifusayso
12-04-04, 07:45 PM
TiTaNiUm is right its a memory problem. I had that happen to a visiontek gerfoce 2 card. It just started one day never overclocked it visontek replaced the card for me.

Tinytim37
12-04-04, 08:02 PM
Cool, thanks for all your help guys. I never Overclocked it, I just submitted an RMA to newegg and they approved it. Thanks again.