PDA

View Full Version : Maxed my BFG 6800 Ultra out at 474/1220 with 1.5v...

Cinders
12-05-04, 04:32 AM
Well it was a scarey moment last night, I flashed my BFG Ultra 6800 O/C to 1.5v for both 3D, Throttle and left 2D at 1.2v...

After some tweaking (using RivaTuner) and playing with rthdribl I found my max stable overclock to be 474Mhz Core / 1220 Memory

I ran it overnight and this morning it was still going... Temp was 66 deg C

To test it even further I've been playing Half Life 2 for 2 hours so far with no problems.

This card is at it's max now, to get even more I'd have to go TEC I think...

Still, I'm happy. (xmasgrin)

lowdog
12-05-04, 05:49 AM
Still, I'm happy. (xmasgrin)

That is, until it dies a preamature death.

Annihlist
12-05-04, 05:54 AM
:firedevil will be inevitable at some point in time

Cinders
12-05-04, 05:59 AM
Thats OK, I'll just go out and buy another one, or maybe move to an SLI setup or ATI - depending on what the best hardware is at the time...

Annihlist
12-05-04, 06:06 AM
Gah your nearly as bad as the folk at DriverHeaven

Cinders
12-05-04, 06:46 AM
Gah your nearly as bad as the folk at DriverHeaven

Oh and how do you work that one out then?.....

I don't think running my card at a higher clock speed is quite the same as running over it with a car, do you?...

Just because I can replace it if it breaks... I think you're jealous...

Jealousy is only a race with yourself Annihlist... or should it be Analist??? he he

mustrum
12-05-04, 07:46 AM
What a pathetic showoff thread.
HAHA

Salamandar
12-05-04, 07:49 AM
Thats OK, I'll just go out and buy another one, or maybe move to an SLI setup or ATI - depending on what the best hardware is at the time...

You rich A. Hole !!
I hate you (xmassign2

Cinders
12-05-04, 08:26 AM
Hey! - people state their overclocks all the time...

I just stated mine thats all, only to get...

"It won't last" - "It'll blow up etc"

If people are going to respond in an unproductive way, then I'm going to respond in the same way... :p

Yes, I may shorten the life of my card running the GPU as a slightly higher voltage, but I have adequate cooling for it...

bkswaney
12-05-04, 08:52 AM
Hey! - people state their overclocks all the time...

I just stated mine thats all, only to get...

"It won't last" - "It'll blow up etc"

If people are going to respond in an unproductive way, then I'm going to respond in the same way... :p

Yes, I may shorten the life of my card running the GPU as a slightly higher voltage, but I have adequate cooling for it...

Nice overclock. :)
It's the 1.5 volt everyone is worried about.
LOTS of GT's are dropping like flies just upping to 1.4volt.
Do not be suprised if it does not last 2 months at 1.5.

Cinders
12-05-04, 08:59 AM
I will keep you guys informed when or if it dies on me... (xmasgrin)

Lemur.fi
12-05-04, 11:16 AM
Well the voltage is not the only problem. Increasing the frequencys above the designed values does have other effects than just increasing the heat. (Lowering them too probably causes as much problems.)

Edit: More info for those who have no idea what I just said....

The capacitors and the coils have different reactances with different frequencys. (Basic circuit analysis math.)

Changing the frequency causes mismatch between the components and between the different parts of the PCB. There is a lot more things to consider than this but basically the whole PCB layout design is based on the decided frequencys.

Don't be too surpriced when it dies. I hope it doesn't do that too soon, as it is a nice OC and those who get kicks out of such things might be impressed or something. (xmasmile)

Wingless
12-05-04, 07:44 PM
who cares....Nvidia 6800 Ultra @450/1200 mhz core/mem gets 3-5 fps more then a standart one...in heavy games...damn wot a big deal... :argue:

jAkUp
12-05-04, 07:46 PM
Cool it guys, I have been thinking about volting my card as well... probably not since I'm only on a VGA silencer... not sure though. What are you using for cooling?

Plus, a dead 6800 Ultra is a perfect excuse to move to SLI! w00t ;)

Zetto
12-05-04, 07:53 PM
He's got watercooling. I am sure if u use some other waterblock (not nv68), u can get lower temps (I am thinking fusion)

SH64
12-05-04, 07:54 PM
Nice O/C !! & whats your 3Mark2003/05 scores so far ??

jAkUp
12-05-04, 07:59 PM
Yes I would also like to know your 05 score... I know 3Dmark is lame, but I still think its good for comparing overclocks and the such

zoomy942
12-05-04, 08:07 PM
Cool it guys, I have been thinking about volting my card as well... probably not since I'm only on a VGA silencer... not sure though. What are you using for cooling?

Plus, a dead 6800 Ultra is a perfect excuse to move to SLI! w00t ;)

i had mine flashed to 1.4 v for a while. it worked great, but then i chickened out cause people didnt have longtime luck with theirs. so i reflashed it back to 1.3, but since she overclocks to 400/1100 anyway (which is refernce nvidia ultra speeds), i just modded the 1.3v bios to those speeds and flashed it. been working great ever since. now i just gotta get that copper cooling piece from evga.com